Trump reinstates death penalty for federal crimes

Permabanned
I found it interesting that they've authorised a change in the administration of the drugs. Companies are refusing to supply the US with the three drugs traditionally used to induce unconsciousness, paralysis and then death. The Trump administration has now authorised the use of a single drug, phenobarbital, to overdose the convicted on anaesthetic instead (similar to how animals are PTS).

The reason for the earlier cocktail of drugs was one of human sensibilities. An injection of a strong sedative prior to an overdose of a barbiturate like pentobarbital was administered to prevent, or at least strongly curtail, after death inhalations and electrically stimulated involuntary spasms and twitching which led lay people into thinking euthansia was incomplete and the subject was in distress ans still fighting the effects of the barbiturate. Witnesses were often left distressed by the perfectly natural post death movements and inhalations, so they administered a two or three part cocktail, as do many vets if the owner deems to be present at a pet's euthanisia. Given drug companies Cavalier attitude to animal experiments they seem to be somewhat selective in their abhorrence with their products potential use versus development.

Permabanned
The last point is telling, is it not? Using an insert gas is a cheap, effective, painless and stress-free way to die if the need arose (it's how I'd do it if I felt the need to end my life). The fact it's not 'good enough' for death penalty proponents speaks volumes.

I have compressed nitrogen on tap for re-gassing race dampers, and anyone can buy it, and there are plenty of sleeping tablets easily found without prescription, so euthansia is within easy reach of those that wish to try it on themselves or others ;) Looking at some of the cases mooted previously I'd happily administer it myself (and stand the cost), there are some truly shockingly deviant and depraved elements amongst us, and that some are later deemed fit for release beggars belief, especially when such a proportion show the panel's judgement to have been dangerously liberal.

Man of Honour
The last point is telling, is it not? Using an insert gas is a cheap, effective, painless and stress-free way to die if the need arose (it's how I'd do it if I felt the need to end my life). The fact it's not 'good enough' for death penalty proponents speaks volumes.

The death penalty is purely there for people to get perverse pleasure through revenge. There is no place for this in a civilised justice system.

Soldato
This is just unbelievable. The death penalty is hypocritical, pointless, and barbaric.

I'm pretty conservative in general but i agree with you and draw the line here. I'm generally pro-life and have opinions on abortion that are not fashionable, and here to i'm against the death penalty. But i do believe that life should mean life.

Soldato
I haven't made my mind up about whether or not I support the death penalty but why not set a minimum age limit. For example, 70 so that the convicted person has to spend X amount of time in jail until that age then they know that at that age they will be executed. Then they've time to have died naturally but it's like forced euthanasia.

Associate
So you are defending the sanctity of life... Of child rapists and murderers? I see no difference executing them or holding them in prison until they die. These people are beyond rehabilitation.

I don't know about child rapists but there are many examples of people who have committed murder rehabilitating themselves and then when released from prison going out and trying to do something positive with their lives such as trying to stop other people from following in their footsteps (in the case of people sent down for gang crime etc).

Rehabilitation can and does work in some cases. I guess the question for many people is do they deserve a chance at rehabilitation.

Soldato
So you are defending the sanctity of life... Of child rapists and murderers? I see no difference executing them or holding them in prison until they die. These people are beyond rehabilitation.

You can't start cherry picking which life is worth defending and which is not, either all life has sanctity or none has, there should be no grey areas based on arbitrary morality, because when you do that everyone has their own opinion on who should live and die

Caporegime
The death penalty is purely there for people to get perverse pleasure through revenge. There is no place for this in a civilised justice system.
It's ironic that you're the one saying "nothing is black and white"...

...Until, that is, you're in a position to judge other people and their motives. Then I have noticed you are very black and white with your thinking. It is a trait of yours, I'm afraid, to believe you know how others think. You do it a lot.

Soldato
seams fair for such evil, no doubt will trigger some of the usual bunch.

Actually, if you look through the thread, it's surprisingly not the 'usual bunch' as each side would think of the other. The overall sentiment is encouragingly against the death penalty, but you have just as many quite conservatively right members against it as the liberal left members.

You even have Evangelion and Chris Wilson on the same side! :eek::confused::p

Arguments over its efficacy as a deterrent aside it's remarkably effective in stopping the ridiculous level of re-offending ;) I would certainly vote in favour of its return for treason.

I don't have a problem with this. Reasonable policy.

Best thing about the death penalty? It has a 100% success rate against recidivism.

Soldato
No it isn’t. It’s there because people think murders and capital criminals deserve the death penalty as a punishment. If someone murdered my parents I’d feel justice was done when their killers were killed.
That been said, I disagree with the death penalty being brought back, for me the risk of innocents being wrongly executed is greater than my desire for the death penalty being reinstated.

Soldato
I'm pretty conservative in general but i agree with you and draw the line here. I'm generally pro-life and have opinions on abortion that are not fashionable, and here to i'm against the death penalty. But i do believe that life should mean life.

I'm glad that we agree for once, though I'll admit I don't have a strong opinion on life meaning life. There are some people for whom being outside is going to be very bad for society.

Back
Top Bottom