• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
i7-7700K is an old, outdated 4-core technology. Modern games require as bare minimum 6-core with 12 threads, it's recommended 8-core or 12-core for the best experience and longevity.
Explain that to some people -_-

We were discussing about performance in ESO, and had the argument "my 7740X @ 5.2Ghz is faster than your 3900X".

Compare this image of my 3900X & 5700XT using 4K ingame engine rendering (downscaled to 2560x1440), -3 mips, ultra high settings, with driver override to MSAA 2x and 16AF.

7q0zrqe.jpg

with his image from 7740X @ 5.2Ghz and GTX1080Ti

L2AYOf5.jpg

I rest my case.

Soldato
Explain that to some people -_-

We were discussing about performance in ESO, and had the argument "my 7740X @ 5.2Ghz is faster than your 3900X".

Compare this image of my 3900X & 5700XT using 4K ingame engine rendering (downscaled to 2560x1440), -3 mips, ultra high settings, with driver override to MSAA 2x and 16AF.

7q0zrqe.jpg

with his image from 7740X @ 5.2Ghz and GTX1080Ti

L2AYOf5.jpg

I rest my case.
The difference is day and night:D:D

Associate
i7-7700K is an old, outdated 4-core technology. Modern games require as bare minimum 6-core with 12 threads..

Really?

I think I've played most "modern" games released in the last 2-3 years, and even on my old 3770k I've had no issues whatsoever (GTX970 and then 1080Ti cards respectively.)

And every single set of results I've seen from every single reviewer on YouTube would also suggest you are wrong.

EDIT: The most modern game on the HU 3600 video is Rage 2. The 7700k had an average fps of 166 and 1% low of 119 fps at Ultra settings. I also played this game on my 3770k and it was super smooth and perfectly playable all the way through.

Last edited:
Associate
I believe Zen 3 will be more than a small refresh like Zen+. AMD will hopefully have binned enough chips for the server market to allow more of the better silicon to go into the desktop chips, coupled with some ironing out of software. I have seen some nice 3900 chips from people on Reddit that perform well so I have little doubt that the best silicon AMD have has some room to spread its legs. I don't think Jim was far off with his leaks at all, but lower yields meant AMD had to push the stack down a notch, as well as the lack of competition.

Everything feels like it is in place for Zen 3 to be quite strong, IMO.

Associate
ivy bridge poor IPC by today standards and to boot only 2.6-3ghz clock? a low rank for gaming is expected. The lowest ranked ryzen 3000 has almost double the per core performance.

Tell that to the people using 2600Ks, 3770Ks and 4770Ks for gaming for the past 5+ years, no problems. Might as well just rename the website UserGamemark. Nobody does anything else with their computer.

I believe Zen 3 will be more than a small refresh like Zen+. AMD will hopefully have binned enough chips for the server market to allow more of the better silicon to go into the desktop chips, coupled with some ironing out of software. I have seen some nice 3900 chips from people on Reddit that perform well so I have little doubt that the best silicon AMD have has some room to spread its legs. I don't think Jim was far off with his leaks at all, but lower yields meant AMD had to push the stack down a notch, as well as the lack of competition.

Everything feels like it is in place for Zen 3 to be quite strong, IMO.

I also believe Zen 3 will be more significant than Zen+ was.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So you see what sort of arguments have to deal time times -_-

You haven't really proven anything though with those two images.
Yes, yours is far better IQ but there's nothing in those two screenshots that disproves he can't attain the same IQ with better performance. No GPU usages to see if there's more in the tank for either of you.

Associate
Caporegime
There are some games that don't play well with Ryzen, at least in performance terms, we all know that.

AMD have this really bad habit of continuously changing and advancing their architecture, i'm being sarcastic, they don't play it safe by rehashing the same CPU architecture for a decade +, well ok they din't have a choice, Bulldozer was crap and it needed to die.

The point is some games / game engines just don't know what to do with Ryzen, Ryzen isn't Intel which is what they are coded for.

That does not equate to Ryzen being crap, or even that its slower than Coffeelake, in games that have had Ryzen patches applied the CPU is almost as fast, just as fast or even faster than Coffeelake depending on the game, despite being clocked lower, the classic example of this is CS:GO, one of those old games that so heavily favoured Intel was patched to behave with Ryzen, that game is now seeing massive FPS with Ryzen, granted this is also going from a 1600 to a 3600... about <350 FPS to post patch <800 FPS, its pumping out higher FPS than higher clocked Coffeelake CPU's.

Not everything from the past will get patched for Ryzen, but clearly the architecture is good, the performance is excellent, better clock for clock than Intel where the game knows what to do with both CPU's, Ryzen has a strong future, it will only get better moving forward.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are some games that don't play well with Ryzen, at least in performance terms, we all know that.

AMD have this really bad habit of continuously changing and advancing their architecture, i'm being sarcastic, they don't play it safe by rehashing the same CPU architecture for a decade +, well ok they din't have a choice, Bulldozer was crap and it needed to die.

The point is some games / game engines just don't know what to do with Ryzen, Ryzen isn't Intel which is what they are coded for.

That does not equate to Ryzen being crap, or even that its slower than Coffeelake, in games that have had Ryzen patches applied the CPU is almost as fast, just as fast or even faster than Coffeelake depending on the game, despite being clocked lower, the classic example of this is CS:GO, one of those old games that so heavily favoured Intel was patched to behave with Ryzen, that game is now seeing massive FPS with Ryzen, granted this is also going from a 1600 to a 3600... about <350 FPS to post patch <800 FPS, its pumping out higher FPS than higher clocked Coffeelake CPU's.

Not everything from the past will get patched for Ryzen, but clearly the architecture is good, the performance is excellent, better clock for clock than Intel where the game knows what to do with both CPU's, Ryzen has a strong future, it will only get better moving forward.

I guess going forward with the next gen consoles using Ryzen we will see better coded games for AMD cpus?

Caporegime
AMD are doing good with CPU's and they're gaining mind share.
I'd rather they had gained more clock speed though because clock speed helps with mind share.

I've owned a 1700/2700 and now a 3900X so I'm all in for giving AMD the money when I feel they're not a compromise. Given the flack I used to get because I was very anti Bulldozer/Piledriver that shows that I'm not a fanboy. I've no loyalty to anything but performance.

Soldato
2% - do you really think that in a line up of modern many core processors that 2% of the total weighting is correct?
Absolutely not. Given most games choke badly with 4 cores, it's an absurd proposition that multicore gets a 2% weighting. I don't know if there are nefarious reasons but the decision is incredibly stupid and smacks of either complete incompetence or bribery.

Caporegime
AMD are doing good with CPU's and they're gaining mind share.
I'd rather they had gained more clock speed though because clock speed helps with mind share.

I've owned a 1700/2700 and now a 3900X so I'm all in for giving AMD the money when I feel they're not a compromise. Given the flack I used to get because I was very anti Bulldozer/Piledriver that shows that I'm not a fanboy. I've no loyalty to anything but performance.

Indeed :)

Associate
Absolutely not. Given most games choke badly with 4 cores, it's an absurd proposition that multicore gets a 2% weighting. I don't know if there are nefarious reasons but the decision is incredibly stupid and smacks of either complete incompetence or bribery.

The timing is definitely suspicious, and their reaction about "fanboys" speaks volumes!

Back
Top Bottom