*** The official Apple September Event Thread - Tuesday 10th September 2019 ***

Soldato
Absolutely nothing so far has got me wanting to upgrade this year, it seems more incremental than ever... I'll just get a new battery for my XS Max if the capacity drops past a certain amount then get on the upgrade program next September.
The only thing which is making me want to upgrade, and it's really a stupid point, but I've had one phone of every generation, the XS is the first 'S' I've ever owned. But I guess i could get the 11 S

Soldato
OP
To be honest for those that have a X or XS there isn't really a compelling upgrade on the cards but that isn't that different to those with a Samsung or Pixel owners, they are all very incremental hardware wise. If you are on a 5/6/6S/7/8 its a very different conversation. It's all about the software these days at almost all levels.

I think we have pretty much reached peek phone in the 'west'.

Associate
To be honest for those that have a X or XS there isn't really a compelling upgrade on the cards but that isn't that different to those with a Samsung or Pixel owners, they are all very incremental hardware wise. If you are on a 5/6/6S/7/8 its a very different conversation. It's all about the software these days at almost all levels.

I think we have pretty much reached peek phone in the 'west'.

Agreed. I'm still using a launch day 6. Had the battery done last year but as it won't be getting iOS 13 I've already decided that I'll be upgrading. Which one I'll be upgrading to however remains to be seen. Hopefully I'll have a better idea after I've seen the keynote

Soldato
Not surprising given it’s not even a year old?

I’m on a 7 and it still feels more than fast enough for my usage.

I might even skip this year again if there is nothing ground breaking

My thoughts exactly - it's the latest iPhone iteration, why on Earth would it be slow?

I'm on the original X and it's still super fast as far as I'm concerned. I've not been thrilled with face ID, I'd much rather touch ID, and perhaps a third camera (be it ultra wide or super zoom) would be great, but other than that I can't see too much reason to make the jump.

The iPhone X's camera still boggles my mind. This photo was taken from my a recent trip, out of a window with plenty of marks:

fX2JDAQ.jpg.png

And this one, admittedly with a touch of the old Instagram filter and superb lighting:

IYM1cjn.jpg.png

No editing:

vfdtCu3.jpg.png

Low light is always the weakness:

VF4gZOE.jpg.png

Also, we walked past the Amsterdam Apple Store and noticed that, well, the door had fell off:

vQ8OtnA.jpg.png

Soldato
Well, after a party this weekend, I've woken up and my XS Max has a steamed up front camera and the screen responsiveness has gone weird (thinks I'm long pressing when I'm not)...

... so maybe I'll be in the market for an 11 after all :/

Associate
Part of me wishes I just upgraded last year instead of holding onto my 7...At least then If I did get enticed by next years model I would have had 2 years use out of it.
I dont think I can hold onto it for another year, I want something new and my screens smashed and battery life is meh - even when I had 100% capacity.

Commissario
Well, after a party this weekend, I've woken up and my XS Max has a steamed up front camera and the screen responsiveness has gone weird (thinks I'm long pressing when I'm not)...
By definition it must be still under warranty, I had exactly this with an earlier iPhone and it was swapped without question. Get it into an Apple store ASAP.

Soldato
By definition it must be still under warranty, I had exactly this with an earlier iPhone and it was swapped without question. Get it into an Apple store ASAP.

I opened the SIM tray and I don't think the water damage indicator has been triggered... so hopefully that'll work in my favour

Soldato
Don't see any reason to upgrade to the new iPhone.

If you have the xs or xs max then you already have an amazing phone, surely the only reason to upgrade would be expandable storage?

Soldato
Don't see any reason to upgrade to the new iPhone.

If you have the xs or xs max then you already have an amazing phone, surely the only reason to upgrade would be expandable storage?

We don't know what the new iPhone is yet, so how you can say there's no reason?

Soldato
We don't know what the new iPhone is yet, so how you can say there's no reason?
Because for 90 odd % who have the xs or xs max, their phone isn't suddenly going to become obsolete.

Unless they finally add USB-C or SD card storage I see no reason to upgrade an already impressive phone.

Soldato
OP
Same thing has been said every year since smart phones came to market. Bar a few specific model years the bump over a single year is generally small but over 2 it can be quite big. That’s more like 3 these days, the original X isn’t likely to be that far off from the new phone.

Soldato
Same thing has been said every year since smart phones came to market. Bar a few specific model years the bump over a single year is generally small but over 2 it can be quite big. That’s more like 3 these days, the original X isn’t likely to be that far off from the new phone.

I haven’t seen the chart in a while, but I remember seeing that CPU performance doubled or better every other generation and the latest phones have 40+ the CPU power of the original iPhone.

If only PC CPUs had done the same...

Soldato
OP
While that is true, generally speaking it still wasn’t a compelling upgrade year on year because a one year old iPhone still had more than enough CPU power to handle anything you could throw at it at the time.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Phones don't need more CPU, they have reached a level where phone manufacturers are trying to find niche uses for this CPU grunt. Having a CPU in my phone that is on par with a laptop makes no difference when you're sending a message or making a call. AR seems to be the big push from Apple that makes uses of the hardware, but I'm not sold yet.

My iPhone runs everything smoothly, it's very fast at doing phone stuff.

Soldato
On my 8+ still.

I want a smaller phone but with a the same screen real estate (more or less) which makes the x/xs perfect. I'll see what they come out with in September. I may wait another year. Do you think there's any chance of them bumping the price? I'm not sure I could justify spending more than 1k on a phone.

Back
Top Bottom