DIY Water cooling kits

Soldato
Morning all,

I had recently decided to stick with a high end air cooler over an AIO cooler but have discovered some DIY water cooling kits such as a Liquid.Cool Vortex one or a Alphacool Eissturm Hurricane copper kit.

Are these cheaper water cooling kits actually any good? It would be my first attempt at a water cooling system anyway so having everything in one kit ready to go seemed beneficial.

Soldato
The alphacool kits are not really classed as cheap, just not as expensive as it could be. Liquid cool on the other hand would be classed as cheap (still totally fine though) all chinese parts that don't come without the price premium of EU stuff.

Just a heads up there are like 3 versions of the alphacool kits (main difference is the pump used/rad thickness).

I would say it really depends on how you are viewing this possible upgrade. By that i mean, is it more an experiment to see if you like it and are comfortable doing it. Or is it more of a do it right the first time kind of deal.

If its more an experiment then go the cheapest route possible, that way if its not for you, you won't have wasted to much. Then i would pick the Liquid cool kits for this reason, going as cheap as possible knowing it will still do the job but knowing it can be done better at a later date with better gear.

But to be fair that could be said about the alphacool kits also, just they have slight better stuff in them, not by a huge amount if you take their basic kits in comparison. Their slightly more expensive kits have thicker rads better pumps so at that point you can't really compare them to the cheaper chinese kits.

So after saying all that are the cheaper less performance orientated watercooling kits any good. Yes and No, They will have similar performance to a top end AIO/CLC, so its not the performance you would be aiming at but more the fact you wanted to do DIY watercooling. Years ago i got into watercooling, by exactly the same thing, getting a kit and giving it a go, took the hassle out of research and the like. Allowing me to just try it, i have since upgraded/downgraded/sidegraded loops many times over.

So if you go into something like this, do so because you want to rather thinking that they will be better then an AIO. Think of it as tipping your toe into it (pun intended) without spending to much. If you find its to your liking then at that point can you go and get the performance your truly after. Hope this helps and sorry for the mini essay lol.

Soldato
OP
The mini essay was very welcomed and some great information for looking into.
The reasons I was looking at potentially going water cooled was:
- These kits vary from not much more than a good air cooler (Ok some maybe twice the price)
- More forgiving with space than a large air cooler.
- Ryzen 3000 is meant to boost better when cooler which I was planning to upgrade to.
- I guess a little test to myself and a little project.

It was just a passing though instead of going aircooler and still is that. I guess there is less maintenance that way.

Soldato
High end air is and always will be on par with AIO's, just AIO's help when it comes to space around the socket (ram).

If you have been looking at both kits via certain sites i can't mention due to being competitors at the current prices the Alphacool Hurricane (240) kit wins hands down vs the liquid cool one, better everything. Heck even OcUk's price is'nt bad currently. To say the top brand AIO's are near that price point, very close infact, i would opt for the Alphacool myself over those any day.

Main thing about a decent kit vs an AIO is the pump is generally head and shoulders way better then any AIO, which does mean a lot. Rad thickness can come into it a little, but pump will always be key.

I would definitely keep thinking about it like you said, but more as a project that your interested in doing because you can and not because you need to.

Soldato
OP
Hmm interesting. I may go for a cheaper kit then and not worry about trying to squeeze a very large aircooler into a case that I like!

I have been looking at several kits online and have found one I quite like the look of.

What sort of regular maintenance should I be looking to carry out on the setup once up and running?

Soldato
Depends really, some are really anal about that others not so much. Most recommend replacing the fluid every 2 years or so. Iv found iv usually changed something in the loop even before that 2 year ever comes round. So technically its not really maintenance as such. I would say just regular checks now and then and if nothings wrong leave it be. To be fair after awhile you would notice any issues arising from knowing what your temps would/should be.

But yeh technically the only real maintenance is fluid changes and thats really a personal preference as to time frame. I do personally check the tubing/fittings every so often, more for peace of mind then anything.

Soldato
OP
Depends really, some are really anal about that others not so much. Most recommend replacing the fluid every 2 years or so. Iv found iv usually changed something in the loop even before that 2 year ever comes round. So technically its not really maintenance as such. I would say just regular checks now and then and if nothings wrong leave it be. To be fair after awhile you would notice any issues arising from knowing what your temps would/should be.

But yeh technically the only real maintenance is fluid changes and thats really a personal preference as to time frame. I do personally check the tubing/fittings every so often, more for peace of mind then anything.

Ok great. I'll look into it further and make a decision once I figure out exactly which case I'll be buying. Still plenty time as I'm waiting for Ryzen 3000 prices to settle a little first. Thanks for your help and knowledge though. It has been a big help.

Back
Top Bottom