The OcUK Relationship Counselling and Hugs Thread

Soldato
I say go for it :) Long distance works if you keep up communication etc and 3 months will fly by. Good luck !

I wound't worry about it, 3 months is no time, especially if you're going to visit her too.

Just put it in perspective, only a couple of generations our grand parents (or great grandparents) were in the middle of WW2... no internet and Skype back then, only letters. My Nana waited for years for my Grandfather, not knowing if he was still alive and only seeing him occasionally on leave.

You've got Skype, WhatsApp, chances to see her during those months... it's nothing, loads of people do long distance these days, it is easier than it has ever been and that's only a short time to have to do it for anyway.

Sounds like you've got a potentially good thing, you should definitely pursue it, see what happens and best of luck with it :)

I met my girlfriend in December on an app, on the first date she said she was going travelling in March which immediately set off alarm bells. Anyway, we got on really well and just played it by ear. She was away for about 4 months, but because of Whatsapp we messaged at least a little every day and stayed in contact. Given we'd only been dating 4 months before we went away, when she got back we were definitely more in sync and it was as if we'd been seeing each other 8 months rather than 4 months and another 4 of her being away.

So basically, as Marvt74 says above, if it feels right then go for it :)

I feel like it this was me I'd have called it off as 4 weeks is nothing! I'd definitely struggle to do the long term thing for years, 3 months should be a breeze though!

Thanks for the above words of encouragement. TUrns out as i'd just sent that last message she video called me (first time we've done that) and we had a chat for 20 mins or so and ended up pencilling in a date for when she would book some time off at a weekend and I could fly down and see her for a long weekend which is 3 weeks today, so its still very positive. I think I self-doubt and overthink these kind of situations but fingers crossed it all works out. I guess the proof will be in the pudding when i get there in 3 weeks and see what our chemistry is like!

Caporegime
"Hypothetical" question - Really good looking woman. Good job. Great personality. 10 years younger. 2 kids....Yay or nay?

Yay or nay to...?

If it's dating. For me it's a firm no. I know I don't want kids and don't want to waste anyone's time.

If it's another reason well that's different! :D

Associate
"Hypothetical" question - Really good looking woman. Good job. Great personality. 10 years younger. 2 kids....Yay or nay?

No. There are too many variables at play. No matter how attractive the mother is bringing up someone else's kids is rock hard. Take it from someone who is suffering and don't make the same mistake.

Soldato
Yeah, its good for a play but never commit.

I'm in my mid 30's too and don't have kids but I never commit to a single mother. Especially when I'm surrounded by females who are 10 years younger and doesn't have any baggage.

Associate
Thanks for the above words of encouragement. TUrns out as i'd just sent that last message she video called me (first time we've done that) and we had a chat for 20 mins or so and ended up pencilling in a date for when she would book some time off at a weekend and I could fly down and see her for a long weekend which is 3 weeks today, so its still very positive. I think I self-doubt and overthink these kind of situations but fingers crossed it all works out. I guess the proof will be in the pudding when i get there in 3 weeks and see what our chemistry is like!

That's awesome, she's clearly just as keen as you are mate! 3 months will fly by, especially if you're seeing her a few weeks in.

Soldato
Well, I rang one of them last night. We talked for about 20mins and the convo flowed well. I've always got something to talk about, so I'm not overly concerned about exhausting topics of conversation. One thing however, and for this reason alone I'm glad that we spoke. She sounded very shy, which for me is a bit of a turn off. I like a woman with balls. So to speak....I'll be meeting her later today. Date 2, text context only shall commence at 11am tomorrow, and date 3 text contact only shall commence at 7pm the same day. A full spreadsheet of my findings incoming;)

Soldato
Tek81 - there are plenty of people who are shy to begin with but once they feel comfortable around someone they're fine.

She might just be nervous. The chat on the phone might have actually helped ease any first date nerves.
Good luck for later :)

Soldato
Tek81 - there are plenty of people who are shy to begin with but once they feel comfortable around someone they're fine.

She might just be nervous. The chat on the phone might have actually helped ease any first date nerves.
Good luck for later :)

Good point. Cheers:)

Associate
Hey all, I don't often peep in here but just thought i'd get the thoughts of you guys on a current sitch which is very early days.

Basically met a girl at a friends dinner party and we got on like a house on fire. I ended up asking her out the next day and we went on a date which went unbelievably well and we ended up spending 2 full days together near enough. We carried on seeing each other loads over a 2-3 week period then I had to come back to the UK for a week, which is now. Now we get on fabulously, have so much in common, have some mutual friends both here (and randomly back at home) and it just feels "right" - i've never dated someone and it been so free, uncomplicated and just easy being around her.

Now the kicker is she leaves to move away on a 3 month contract with her work this weekend (whilst im in the UK) and I was wondering if any of you guys have done the long-distance thing? Bare in mind this is Australia, she's a good 11 hour drive or 2-3 hour flight away but i've said i'd go and see her whilst shes out there to which she said she'd love but i've never done anything like this before and don't want to set expectations high. We will probs end up seeing each other 4-5 times id imagine over that period whilst shes away so its not like we're going to be going months and months without seeing each other.

We talk every day pretty much and I feel a lot for her and it feels like she does for me. I'll unfortunately miss her when I go back as I fly back from the UK on Sunday and she leaves for her contract on Sunday but I could technically fly out and see her for a weekend in a couple of weeks.

Has anything like this ever put any of you off pursuing a relationship? I actually really want to see what could happen between us and i guess i need to see where shes at with it all too but what would you guys do? Make plans and just go with the flow and see what happens?

I’ve been in a long distance relationship for almost 12 months with 4000 miles between us which can be a real challenge and my best advice is don’t message but use video as your form of communication as messages can lead to a whole world of confusion depending on your moods when reading them.

Apart from that go for it as the time you grab together will be awesome

Soldato
Yeah, its good for a play but never commit.

I'm in my mid 30's too and don't have kids but I never commit to a single mother. Especially when I'm surrounded by females who are 10 years younger and doesn't have any baggage.

I second this advice....I've come out of a long terms relationship at the end of last year and being this ages with no baggage is terrific :)

Soldato
How high up on the creepy scale is adding on Facebook, a saleswoman you spoke to in a shop?

1 being this isn't in anyway inappropriate, i'm so glad you stalked found me! And 10 being omg you psychopath i'm calling the police!

:D

Soldato
How high up on the creepy scale is adding on Facebook, a saleswoman you spoke to in a shop?

1 being this isn't in anyway inappropriate, i'm so glad you stalked found me! And 10 being omg you psychopath i'm calling the police!

:D

How good looking are you?

If you are very attractive you can pull it off, if not you are a creep.

Post your top 3 pics of yourself and I'll tell you, or base it on how many times this month you've gotten laid on tinder.

Back
Top Bottom