Time To upgrade...To What!?

Associate
So, it has been many a year since i last upgraded my PC. Currently running a 1090T, GTX 770 and 8 GB RAM and well, its been feeling rather slow and i am sure something is on its way out. Thinking its the CPU, RAM or Hard drive(s) so decided now is the time to just go on and upgrade.

The thing is, i dunno what to upgrade to. I know want to stay AMD and thinking Series 3000. Thinking Ryzen 5 3600 and Corsair Vengeance RAM (thinking 2 x 8GB) and some Seagate BarraCuda 4TB but the biggest problem i am having is the motherboard. As i have a nVidia graphics card and would (if its not overly expensive) like a Board that allows me to upgrade to either a better nVidia card or move over to Radeon in a few months.

I currently also am running a All in 1 loop for the CPU that i know what be useble with the new motherboards and i cant seem to find the thing that can make it usable on new Motherboards so wondering if the the fan that comes with them are good enough to use or would i be best off getting a new All in 1 setup or just going with a solid normal CPU cooler be enough?

The PSU i have is a SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 750W Fully Modular "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply

I am looking at spending in total about 6-800, could go a little higher if it makes it that little bit more future proof

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz Hexa Core (Socket AM4) CPU
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200MHz DDR4
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 4TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive (X2)

Total so far around £460
Anyone got any ideas of what good Motherboards i could go for? I dont really have any brands that i wouldnt go for. My current brand is Asus which i havent had any issues with, its the Crosshair Formula IV i believe

Last edited:
Man of Honour
All in 1 loop for the CPU that i know what be useble with the new motherboards and i cant seem to find the thing that can make it usable on new Motherboards
which AIO exactly? if it's an ASETEK rebrand, you can get the AM4 mounting kit: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asetek-premium-retention-kit-amd-am4-hs-04d-as.html

So, it has been many a year since i last upgraded my PC. Currently running a 1090T, GTX 770 and 8 GB RAM and well, its been feeling rather slow and i am sure something is on its way out. Thinking its the CPU, RAM or Hard drive(s) so decided now is the time to just go on and upgrade.
need to know what PSU you have as well, please

Associate
OP
Man of Honour
Associate
OP
which corsair AIO exactly? most corsair AIOs are ASETEK rebrands.

that's a good PSU, doesn't require changing.

have you an SSD already?
Again, updated as you posted lol
its a Corsair Hydro H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler. Yeah i havent had any problems with the PSU what so ever. Nope no SSD. The SSD i have at the moment are 2 Samsung normal 3.5inch drives

Associate
OP

Would the new GPU be needed right away? I did look at the Tomahawk Max. I was also looking at a few MSI and Asus ones. Its been rather hard to find some good reviews. I guess as it seems solid and good price, it could be used as a stop gap for a better upgrade down the road

Man of Honour
Would the new GPU be needed right away?
well...vega 56 offers over double the performance of your gtx 770. your call ;)

I did look at the Tomahawk Max.
tomahawk max supports ryzen 3000 cpus out of the box

I was also looking at a few MSI and Asus ones. Its been rather hard to find some good reviews.
for the amd b450 series boards...asus = trash. msi = best. nothing else needs considering.

it could be used as a stop gap for a better upgrade down the road
it's not a stopgap and doesn't need upgrading down the road. the tomahawk max will happily handle 12 core ryzen 3000 cpus if needed.

Associate
OP
well...vega 56 offers over double the performance of your gtx 770. your call ;)

Well, that is true as well. Not sure what wouldnt be an upgrade for it. So as i would be upgrading any. Maybe doing it all at the same time might be easier thing to do. So with that being the case. If i say upped to £300 to spend on the graphics card, would i be able to get one that would last, perform that little bit better or would the gain be so marginal that the extra cost wouldnt really be worth the outlay?

tomahawk max supports ryzen 3000 cpus out of the box

Yeah that is something i did notice, as one that i was considering before was one that would need a BIO update in order to be able to be used with Ryzen 3000. Something that i think requires you to have a Ryzen CPU already? Which again would have meant more of an outlay as i dont have one Lol

for the amd b450 series boards...asus = trash. msi = best. nothing else needs considering.

Really? Thats a surprise. Have Asus gone down hill or something or are their more high end boards better? As i have havent had any issues with my board though its quite really old at this point Lol. Yeah i was looking at some of the SMI x570 boards the "Godlike" board looks STUNNING visually that thing looks amazing but damn, that price :O Lol

it's not a stopgap and doesn't need upgrading down the road. the tomahawk max will happily handle 12 core ryzen 3000 cpus if needed.

Oh really!? Thats a also a surprise, considering the cost i was expecting to be like an entry level board or something. One that lacks lot of features that other boards come with.

Man of Honour
Well, that is true as well. Not sure what wouldnt be an upgrade for it. So as i would be upgrading any. Maybe doing it all at the same time might be easier thing to do. So with that being the case. If i say upped to £300 to spend on the graphics card, would i be able to get one that would last, perform that little bit better or would the gain be so marginal that the extra cost wouldnt really be worth the outlay?
vega 56 is the best bang/buck higher-end gpu curently. wouldn't recommend anything else until you get to the >£350 range.

Yeah that is something i did notice, as one that i was considering before was one that would need a BIO update in order to be able to be used with Ryzen 3000. Something that i think requires you to have a Ryzen CPU already? Which again would have meant more of an outlay as i dont have one Lol
MSI has CPU-less bios flash, so wasn't a biggie to begin with.

Really? Thats a surprise. Have Asus gone down hill or something or are their more high end boards better? As i have havent had any issues with my board though its quite really old at this point Lol. Yeah i was looking at some of the SMI x570 boards the "Godlike" board looks STUNNING visually that thing looks amazing but damn, that price :O Lol
asus relies more on their brand name to sell stuff and massively dropped the ball on the b450 range (as did gigabyte and asrock). MSI basically left them for dead.
but with x570 everyone came back with strong features (as you can tell from the pricing)

considering the cost i was expecting to be like an entry level board or something. One that lacks lot of features that other boards come with.
nope. b450 tomahawk max is one of the best bang/buck board for ryzen AM4

Associate
OP
vega 56 is the best bang/buck higher-end gpu curently. wouldn't recommend anything else until you get to the >£350 range.

Oh, okay good to know. Yeah i am okay with not spending too much

MSI has CPU-less bios flash, so wasn't a biggie to begin with.
yeah the board that i was firts looking at didnt have the CPU -less BIOS update it was a ASrock Taichi board and from what i could see it wasn't one that could be done without another CPU.

asus relies more on their brand name to sell stuff and massively dropped the ball on the b450 range (as did gigabyte and asrock). MSI basically left them for dead.
but with x570 everyone came back with strong features (as you can tell from the pricing)

Thats a shame no experience with other boards but never had any issues with my Asus board. Yeah that is why i was assuming the Max board was a entry level board due to how cheap it was compared to the other boards Lol.

nope. b450 tomahawk max is one of the best bang/buck board for ryzen AM4

Nice to know, crazy considering its price Lol

Associate
OP
What would you choose if you couldnt get the RAM? As Overclockers is out of the Motherboard i will have to buy somewhere else and the ram else where is like twice the price. currently looking at buying from elsewhere The other option i have is to buy everything bar the motherboard from Overclockers and then get the board elsehwere and still hope to get the all tomorrow

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What would you choose if you couldnt get the RAM? As Overclockers is out of the Motherboard i will have to buy somewhere else and the ram else where is like twice the price.
you have free shipping if you link your forum name to your ocuk account, no?
for this basket, ocuk are pretty price competitive with other etailers (i'd say if it wasn't)
agree get the mobo from elsewhere if in stock elsewhere. rest of the basket, i'd say get from ocuk.

currently looking at buying from
i'd remove those links. ocuk forums is being run and paid for by ocuk after all :)
(and against forum rules :p)

Associate
OP
you have free shipping if you link your forum name to your ocuk account, no?
for this basket, ocuk are pretty price competitive with other etailers (i'd say if it wasn't)
agree get the mobo from elsewhere if in stock elsewhere. rest of the basket, i'd say get from ocuk.

i'd remove those links. ocuk forums is being run and paid for by ocuk after all :)
(and against forum rules :p)

Yeah i have removed the links, didnt mean to break any rules. Think i might grab some other bits as well - Could do with some new clean dust filters, some case cleaning bits and some thermal compound as well. Maybe some cool looking fans as well Lol

Back
Top Bottom