BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
The F10 has been around just over 9 years rather than 12. The N57 engine is almost 11, though. The 6 cyl models are much more reliable than the 4 pots and the 4 pot ruins the car anyway.

Soldato
Its rare to hear of a 6cyl chain failure, they are certainly rarely ever documented online and no such packages exist for the engine as with the 4cyl models. The cars have been out for nearly 12 years now (and the basic engine design longer) so i really dont think that the chain is an issue which you need to be particularly paranoid about, unlike the 4cyl.

Point being regarding the struts, they are not £1k at all, they are around £350 for a new pair. Loaded prices are often used as scaremonger figures but the number is not a figure that you would ever actually pay.

The N57 with the new chain design is 10 years old the 6 cylinders are going past approx 120k before issues crop up once the majority of the early cars start passing this mileage I expect we will see more issues.

I am aware you can do things cheaper I've ran cars to high miles before doing work myself or at a good garage (hard to find now TBH) for me now I find my time more important so the benefit of getting the car picked up from the house left a nice courtesy car and then getting it back fixed regardless of how many parts they have flung at it is worth the relatively small cost of the warranty.

If you don't want to dismantle the rear tail gate and can actually find a garage that does good work it is still a £550-600 fitted job once they have marked up the parts (none around here will take supplied parts). For what ever reason they had to do a software update for the new struts I am sure they would have still worked without it but another thing missed if done yourself or at a garage without access to BMW software.

Man of Honour
Although I won't be changing for a while yet, I like to keep a look out for when VT or handing back time comes with the M140. I will be after a 5 tourer with tow bar. It'll be towing my FD2 to track days and I'm wondering if I should favour a diesel over a petrol for said duties? Does the extra torque of the diesel suit towing better? Or would a 540i for example be more than up to the task?

Soldato
Although I won't be changing for a while yet, I like to keep a look out for when VT or handing back time comes with the M140. I will be after a 5 tourer with tow bar. It'll be towing my FD2 to track days and I'm wondering if I should favour a diesel over a petrol for said duties? Does the extra torque of the diesel suit towing better? Or would a 540i for example be more than up to the task?

Just get an X5 with a big diesel (m50d). Or a V10 TDI Touareg. Or a 955 Cayenne Turbo S just because.

You could then tow a transporter full of cars.

Caporegime
A 4wd big SUV is ideal for towing, lots of weight and very stable.

Can’t you drive the Honda to a track? Seems like a lot of effort for something that’s not exactly a race car.

Soldato
Can’t you drive the Honda to a track? Seems like a lot of effort for something that’s not exactly a race car.

Probably this.

I don’t really want an SUV.

More space for spare wheels/tyres, tools, fluids, picnic, girls etc.

A big estate would be also do the job, but won't be as practical or look as cool.

Some inspiration for a towing ****: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=47&t=1822390

I'm sometimes helpful :D

Soldato
I’ve towed a few times with a 535d F11 it’s very good, the rear self levelling air suspension is handy as the car was fully loaded aswell.

I think the 540i will be just as good as it has plenty of low down torque. I’ve towed with a Volvo S80 T6 which had a straight six petrol twin turbo and it was just as effortless as the 535d.

Soldato
G30 5 Series mini review / thoughts

So my M4 is in the dealership - the aux belt snapped and did 'some damage'. £3300 worth. And the car died on the motorway and I couldn't even put my hazards on, all very exciting stuff. Thank god for warranties, it seems the current bill stands at £51 I'm due.... for the actual belt itself. Much oddness I have to pay for that, but everything the belt damaged is covered. Anyway, I digress.

I got a G30 5 series as a courtesy car. A hire car actually, from Enterprise. Now i've owned about 12 BMW's I think, and driven stack loads via work / hire cars / courtesy cars. My closest comparison ownership wise, is the F15 X5 I owned, a generation behind, but built on the 5 series platform etc.

Pros:

The tech is a step up from the F generation, be it my old X5 or my M4. The satnav screen is great, high res, fast response time. The digital dash is really good, not as cool as the Audi ones in my opinion but well laid out and nice and clear. I like the 'rgb' lighting in the car, but why isn't it full RGB like the new Mercs (even the A class!) is a little odd - there are 7 colours to pick from. The audio sucks, but it's the basic non HK setup so forgivable. The phone system is miles better than the F generation, it's clearer and better at noise cancellation than both my previous X5 or my M4 anyway.

Drive is very smooth, refined, quiet and comfortable. MPG is definitely ahead of the X5 and M4 - but it's a 520d, so to be expected.

Cons:

Sorry, but there were things I didn't like vs my previous BMW's. Just my opinion of course.

Quality of the leather was poor compared to the X5 I had - and definitely worse than my M4. With just 1000 miles on the clock it already had picked up scuffs and scratches, and just seemed cheaper quality.
It's massive - especially around a city centre. It's wide, and very long - not a city car - felt a lot bigger than the F15 X5.
Poor performance - I'll probably negate this point as it's a 520d and my X5 was the 40d, and obviously an M4 is in a different ball park performance wise.
Steering is insanely light / no feel - again probably perfect for what the car is meant to be, but it was a lot lighter than I'd want on back roads and motorways.

Associate
Following BMW claiming my issue with engine cranking sometimes for 5 to 10 seconds was the battery and changing to a new one, after attempting to start it this evening it took a while. This week it was fine and this is the first time it’s done it.

It looks like it might be the fuel pump after all. Will give them a call this week, but I’m a bit worried it might not be easily replicated, hence they might say it’s all good.

Associate
Going to look at this 2015 530d on Thursday, is this spec any good? No pictures at the moment as it is still going through prep stage. How is the price for the mileage and year?

How much roughly for BMW extended warranty and what are the servicing intervals and costs? Anything else I should be aware off?

Man of Honour
Spec is absolutely spot on. Warranty is 900ish a year under 60k and servicing is about every 17-20k.

It's very well priced but part of that will be because of where it is.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Gave the car a good wash this weekend and also took it for a drive and got some lunch, this car is such an incredible drive, certainly better than the CSL I owned some years ago but it should be as most the mods done are what CSL owners would, but the car looks immaculate, OK it is by no means what you would call a showroom condition original car, because it is not being nearly 18 years old and covered nearly 115,000 miles, but its a damn clean solid car with very premium tasteful mods done to it that make it an extremely capable road and track car. But I've decided to sell as I simply no longer use it. :(

I am happy for any prospective buy to get 12 months MOT put on the car as well:

More pictures taken this weekend:

m43.jpg~original

m44.jpg~original

m45.jpg~original

m40.jpg~original

m42.jpg~original

m39.jpg~original

m38.jpg~original

m41.jpg~original

m37.jpg~original

m34_1.jpg~original