Tomahawk Max, Ryzen 5 3600....CPU cooler!?

Associate
So currently rocking the stock cooler that came with the CU and no surpise, its not the best. Its decent normally idle around 45c according to Ryzen Master but in gaming, i can hit 80c+ which is a bit much. So i am in need of a proper cooler.

I am currently thinking about the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports, i would go for the Duo but it seems sold out everywhere. Would Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo without Push/Pull be good enough? If not - what would you guys suggest?

I am also considering doing a full replace of my fans (3 x 120, 3 x 140) as i upgraded everything bar the Case (Corsair Air 540, which rocks) as well as the PSU and fans but having had them for several years. Maybe its time to upgrade. Not going to lie, the Corsair RBG ones look insane but damn looking at an INSANE price for everything you need :( Lol

Associate
OP
A highly recommended CPU air cooler is the one linked below, The price isn't cheap but good performance and silent comes at a cost :D

Just double check any cooler you buy to make sure it fits in the case, Easy mistake to make :p

what link? Lol
Yeah i am little worried/confused what can work with the Tomahawk Max due to it being sideways and facing the RAM slots Lol

Soldato
Associate
OP
Sorry bud had a Rodney Trotter moment :p

This link is the Noctua cooler that has good reviews in a few places

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £89.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

yeah i have heard of that one but its HUGE and thats rather expensive, could go for AIO setup for a little bit more and save a lot of space, the last one i had Corsair was awesome. Its also, not very nice looking either Lol

Soldato
yeah i have heard of that one but its HUGE and thats rather expensive, could go for AIO setup for a little bit more and save a lot of space, the last one i had Corsair was awesome. Its also, not very nice looking either Lol

Yeah size is abit of a pain and I get what you mean about the looks of it, it's not everyone's cup of tea... There are some decent AIO's and can be cheaper with just as good results, atleast with them you only need to make sure of enough radiator space

Associate
OP
Yeah size is abit of a pain and I get what you mean about the looks of it, it's not everyone's cup of tea... There are some decent AIO's and can be cheaper with just as good results, atleast with them you only need to make sure of enough radiator space

Well, The Corsair Air 540 has space for a dual 120/140 mm radiator on the top, though i used a single 120mm fan AIO and it worked great. I mean on the plus side that should fit fine, but the rest of my case is Black and white and my OCD would be kinda tilted having that NH-U12A in there with those fans Lol That is why i was kinda looking at the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports.

As for case fans, what do you think about?

ML140 Pro 140mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan x2
and
ML120 Pro 120mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan

Associate
Not sure it's certainly no bigger than the Arctic Freezer, and seems there's a good bit of clearance from the images I've seen, you could also consider the wraith Prism supposedly quieter that the one you have

Associate
OP
Not sure it's certainly no bigger than the Arctic Freezer, and seems there's a good bit of clearance from the images I've seen, you could also consider the wraith Prism supposedly quieter that the one you have

Quiet doesnt bother me. Performance > Quiet. Just not sure what would actually fit when i am using non-short RAM sticks.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
Total: £23.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

This is a steal at the moment.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6706/alpenfoehn-brocken-2-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

The one linked should cool a little better than the version in the review, same heatsink but with a bonus fan. £23.99 for performance almost on par with a Noctua NH-D14.
Product page doesn't say its compatible with AM4? Very good price though.

So currently rocking the stock cooler that came with the CU and no surpise, its not the best. Its decent normally idle around 45c according to Ryzen Master but in gaming, i can hit 80c+ which is a bit much. So i am in need of a proper cooler.

I am currently thinking about the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports, i would go for the Duo but it seems sold out everywhere. Would Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo without Push/Pull be good enough? If not - what would you guys suggest?

I am also considering doing a full replace of my fans (3 x 120, 3 x 140) as i upgraded everything bar the Case (Corsair Air 540, which rocks) as well as the PSU and fans but having had them for several years. Maybe its time to upgrade. Not going to lie, the Corsair RBG ones look insane but damn looking at an INSANE price for everything you need :( Lol

I think all Ryzen 2 CPU's get really toasty due to the way boosting works. Undervolting by about 0.1 v helped a lot in my case, so maybe give that a try? Might be able to save on getting a new cooler.

Soldato
Product page doesn't say its compatible with AM4? Very good price though.

Good catch, I missed that.

Quick search on OCUK came up with an AM4 bracket for the heatsink in question:

Total: £5.73 (includes shipping: £2.74)​

Even if you spend the extra £2.99 for the bracket it's still a great piece of kit for the price imo.

Soldato
These are both highly reviewed and reasonably priced. I bought the PCGH edition, just because I may go for a high core CPU in the future out wasn't much more. I'm running a 3600x on the B450 Tomahawk Max, the block installs fine but one side fan sits right ontop of the VRM heatsink, the RAM side is fine. It's not caused me any problems but the single fan version probably doesn't have that issue.

SCYTHE SCMG-5100 MUGEN 5 REV.B CPU COOLER
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5100-mugen-5-rev.b-cpu-cooler-hs-046-sy.html

SCYTHE SCMG-5PCGH MUGEN 5 "PCGH EDITION" CPU COOLER
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5pcgh-mugen-5-pcgh-edition-cpu-cooler-hs-047-sy.html

Soldato
I have the same motherboard and CPU I am using Noctua nh-u12s se-am4, very happy with silent I'm getting 65c when playing pubg & 30c idel. No issues for clearance and room for second fan it also comes with thermal paste and second fan bracket.

Back
Top Bottom