Surface repair for solid concrete floor. Not sure of easiest way to do it.

Man of Honour
I've taken up the carpet in one of my rooms and intend to replace it with carpet tiles. The floor is solid concrete. There are a few small areas of shallow damage to the floor and I'd like to fill them in before laying the carpet tiles.

A couple are small indentations where it appears something has been scraped over the surface. These are ~6mm deep at the deepest part and about 5cm by 2cm.

There are two much larger very shallow pits that were quite sandy and gravelly. It's what I'd expect if those parts of the concrete didn't have enough cement in them, but I know very little about concrete so that's just a vague guess. Anyway, these pits are only ~2mm deep at the deepest parts, but they're each about 50cm by 25cm.

I'd like a more level surface to glue the carpet tiles to, so what's the easiest/best way to get it?

I am tempted to just use some general purpose polyfilla I have in a cupboard, but I suspect that's probably not ideal :)

I had a look for concrete floor repair guides online, but the ones I saw are for much more extensive damage.

I'd include some photos, but I'm a weirdo who doesn't have a camera.

Soldato
I assume the room you are going to put carpet tiles in isn’t one you care for too much? Carpet tiles are inherently a bit rubbish and laying them directly on top of a solid concrete floor certainly won’t result in a comfortable experience for the feet....

Soldato
I assume the room you are going to put carpet tiles in isn’t one you care for too much? Carpet tiles are inherently a bit rubbish and laying them directly on top of a solid concrete floor certainly won’t result in a comfortable experience for the feet....

Agree with this... Why bother using SLC if the room is clearly getting very budget treatment. I'd personally use some tile mortar (mixed not tub) and assuming we're not talking gaping holes. Treating the holes with a primer before (NOT PVA).

You'd need to prime anyway if you used SLC onto concrete.

Soldato
Yea I'd just use some wood filler or similar, as it's a little harder. Get something large and flat to scrape over it, or use an old credit card if they are small enough areas.

Man of Honour
OP

Your assumption is correct. Besides, for >20 years the room has had carpet thinner than carpet tiles with paper underneath and something that was the cheapest possible sort-of-underlay and which has long since turned into some powder. So carpet tiles will be an improvement on that.

The main reason for carpet tiles is that I want to do it myself and I think I can do it that way but not with proper carpet. If it's too bad, well, I wasted a couple of hundred pounds at most. Not a big deal. The doing it myself is worth that, even if the result is poor.

Agree with this... Why bother using SLC if the room is clearly getting very budget treatment. I'd personally use some tile mortar (mixed not tub) and assuming we're not talking gaping holes. Treating the holes with a primer before (NOT PVA).

You'd need to prime anyway if you used SLC onto concrete.

Yea I'd just use some wood filler or similar, as it's a little harder. Get something large and flat to scrape over it, or use an old credit card if they are small enough areas.

Maybe I could use that general purpose "deep crack" polyfilla after all...

I have some polyfilla quick-setting cement which seems like a better fit as it's specifically for repairs to concrete. Mix with water, put it down quickly. Oddly, it states that a primer isn't required when doing a surface repair to concrete, just a wet surface. Or maybe that's not odd - my knowledge is limited to the answers in this thread and some searching online. Which, incidentally, has contradictory statements about SLC.

Your only issue is if the concerete has gone powdery then a shallow fill is probably going to breakup. YOu may need to dig them out a little, fill with general concrete and then use your repair one at hte top.
Otherwise i would agree with just some "filling" cement. I used a bucket one (ie you buy the bucket with the readymix already in it) from screwfix that was for repair when I need to fill a small outside hole when I removed a gas fire. Worked really well, does go off quick though!

Soldato
Most local carpet places do either free or negligible carpet fitting. Personally if you're happy to waste £200 then I'd just get it done properly. Pros will fit a room in no time at all, but as well as potential money you'll spend ages (and no doubt a load of faff) trying to level a floor and fit carpet tiles.

Soldato
Whole thing sounds like a bit of a bodge to me, level the floor properly and pay for someone to fit the carpet!

This! Otherwise you'll be doing it all again in no time. Buy a carpet that's B grade if price is an issue, we've done that in a room we dont use much and it has a few small flecks that are a slightly different colour (barely noticeable) but it's MUCH cheaper as a result.

Back
Top Bottom