Sony PSP

Soldato
WOW... Has anyone seen this baby? I will deffo be buying this machine... Go to IGN and check it out... The console looks awesome, the games look awesome and extremely fast (Check out Ridge Racer and GT4 Mobile:eek: )

Anyone got a release date? Looks like March 2005...

Soldato
Originally posted by teabagger
oh yeah, and stated battery life:

games:10 hours
audio:8 hours
movies:2.5 hours
Do those numbers not look a little daft to you m8?

Games have audio do they not? But audio on its own drains the battery quicker??

And what makes a movie drain the battery so much more than a game?

By the looks of the thing I reckon we'll be lucky to get 2 hours out everything apart from just audio.

Associate
Audio will drain the battery quicker than just games because it will be constantly accessing disc storage, movies even more so because it is also producing video.

Associate
The main drain on battery power (apart from the screen) comes from streaming data off the disk. Movies will access the disk most heavily, then audio, then games hence the battey life times above.

Soldato
Originally posted by wango2
Audio will drain the battery quicker than just games because it will be constantly accessing disc storage, movies even more so because it is also producing video.
Come on its not that hard to work it out is it.

Look at how much more the movie drains over audio, difference being the screen.....as both as you say are streamed off disk....so the screen must be a big battery drain right? Like you would expect - Sooo games would drain the battery far more that audio on its own.

Again surely games are going to have half decent music too? Does this not need to be accessed from the storage also?

If anyone thinks we're gonna get 10 hours for games out of this thing there living in cloud cuckoo land.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I don't think streaming from the disc would be that much of a drain, surely its no different to personal cd players some of those clock in 40 hours from a pair of AA batteries.

The screen is backlit so surely thats where the power will go, logically audio would be the lowest battery drain.

Associate
In all fairness I'd not considered the lack of screen activity when playing audio. Hey, I'm just quoting of CNN and I've read those figures a number of times before.

As for the audio in games point you're looking at MIDI based sounds so there is actually very little raw data to be read from the disk and then stored in memory. Compared that to a .wmv file (I know will be some other Sony controlled format) at between 4 and 6MB per track and there is a pretty hefty difference in terms of raw data that needs to be streamed off the disk. You won't find game audio being streamed off the disk at all.

Soldato
Gotta say I find that quite disappointing, having seen all the advancements in graphics I thought they might have put some effort into advancing the sounds past MIDI quality.

Edit
We're not sure if you'll want to actually play PSP with the sound off, though, as we found the music to be one of the best parts of the experience. We pushed the volume to max, and managed to get the system pumping out bass-filled tunes and sound effects -- typical quality Sony sound, for anyone who's experienced sound through a Sony MD player before. Having played cartridge-based portable games for over a decade, the jump to UMD-based games is like jumping from cartridges to CDs as far as sound is concerned. Metal Gear in particular has a soundtrack you'll want to listen to, with Minna no Golf retaining the humorous voices and sound effects you expect from the series.
Hmm seems they have, a few websites I looked at said game audio will be based on a version on MPEG4 format.

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted by Bigsy
Gotta say I find that quite disappointing, having seen all the advancements in graphics I thought they might have put some effort into advancing the sounds past MIDI quality.

Lol do you have to be so skeptic?

Songs in games arent the basic cheap midi you hear in windows. Have you played Final Fantasy 7 or 8? All that music was in MIDI, and was impressive at that. I think he means they wont be fully fledged CD quality songs in games.

Also, they said 10 hours battery, can you not believe that until it is proved wrong?

Back
Top Bottom