The Tesla Thread

Soldato
Placed my order yesterday for a SR+ in grey so I'll update on my experience. I had the opposite experience with regen after a few weeks driving an i3. Drove my old ICE car a short distance and immediately thought what's wrong it's not stopping then remembered, I have to use the brakes :)

Nice - I'm 90% on SR+ but a nagging thing in my brain says the LR.....But £9k of a difference for the very odd time, maybe twice a year, doing a long trip somewhere.

We will still have a normal car as a family car as well so i guess the LR isn't an issues in reality

Got my Energy Savings Trust report showing that my business will save money getting a Model 3 so I can now apply for the interest free loan for the business. Will be making my order today - just need to decide the colour.....

Last edited:

DiG

DiG

Associate
I like the blue (obviously) but I think the red looks better with the aero wheels - had it not been twice the cost of blue I'd have gone for red I think.

The grey is nice if a little dull

DiG

DiG

Associate
Also remember that like MPG, quoted range != real life range. I was always going for the higher model for the speed, but the range makes a day-to-day difference in that I can get away with charging less frequently.

Soldato
Also remember that like MPG, quoted range != real life range. I was always going for the higher model for the speed, but the range makes a day-to-day difference in that I can get away with charging less frequently.

Prior experience with an i3 limited to ~80 miles in ideal conditions has taught me a lot about EV range variance. EVs tend to operate in very narrow range of efficiency and outside that just plan accordingly or buy a bigger battery!

I still have a fast car for weekends so getting 3x the range and the ability to achieve that at 70 mph on the motorway was very appealing. I'm hoping most weeks I will only need to charge once or maybe two part charges to cover my commute.

Here is an extreme example of EV range reduction from towing a large tailor. Tesla say you can do it so of course someone will test it and the results are interesting.

Soldato
Hang in there Kemik - Tesla’s pre delivery experience is flat out bad and despite what some fanboys say there isn’t an excuse for it. I was a day one reservation and a day one order.

Long range? I was so tempted to upgrade to long range as I 200 mile journeys once or twice a month. Head won over heart and decided that the extra insurance and monthly lease costs weren't worth it. Doesn't mean I'm not jealous though :p Same colours I went with too! Was tempted by the white with its pearl paint. Will you be taking the caps off?

Soldato
Sensible head on - White SR+ ordered

Just received my next step instructions for registration, delivery and finance etc after 24 hrs.

I was considering a trade in but seeing their offer I think I'll seek alternatives!

The process is a bit convoluted with several windows opening if you are applying for finance. I can only hope I completed all the steps correctly and the Tesla website registered this. Otherwise it has been a quick initial process.

Soldato
Just received my next step instructions for registration, delivery and finance etc after 24 hrs.

I was considering a trade in but seeing their offer I think I'll seek alternatives!

The process is a bit convoluted with several windows opening if you are applying for finance. I can only hope I completed all the steps correctly and the Tesla website registered this. Otherwise it has been a quick initial process.

good stuff - I'm just a cash buyer via the business so need to pay deposit of £2k later today, I've applied for my interest free loan via Energy Trust and need to wait 10 days for confirmation of that but no reason why I won't get it.

DiG

DiG

Associate
Long range? I was so tempted to upgrade to long range as I 200 mile journeys once or twice a month. Head won over heart and decided that the extra insurance and monthly lease costs weren't worth it. Doesn't mean I'm not jealous though :p Same colours I went with too! Was tempted by the white with its pearl paint. Will you be taking the caps off?

Before collection it was going to be one of the first things I did, but so far I don't mind them - time will tell. It's nice to have the option of changing the look of the wheels

Soldato
good stuff - I'm just a cash buyer via the business so need to pay deposit of £2k later today, I've applied for my interest free loan via Energy Trust and need to wait 10 days for confirmation of that but no reason why I won't get it.

I should probably add that's delivery location but not a confirmation of VIN allocation or actual delivery date. That could be the painful bit.

Soldato
Seeing if I can make man maths work on a SR+ to replace SWBMOs Zoe.

Any insight into the Upgraded Audio vs. Premium Audio and I assume that Premium Connectivity can be bought yearly otherwise the system will not be much use?

Soldato
Seeing if I can make man maths work on a SR+ to replace SWBMOs Zoe.

Any insight into the Upgraded Audio vs. Premium Audio and I assume that Premium Connectivity can be bought yearly otherwise the system will not be much use?

yeah I read something about $100 a year but people have had it longer than a year and not had to pay any renewal

Soldato
Premium are a few more speakers and a sub in the back. People with SR+ have reported sound is decent, but would benefit from the sub. Looks to be difficult to install post-factory.

Soldato
Nice, if somewhat frustrating test drive today. Took out an SR+, performance was good (if not astounding as I'm used to 5.5s 0-60), build quality felt fine and it rode very well, even on some pretty poor roads.

Frustration was that I was told that Premium Connectivity is not available on the SR+ as the car doesn't have a SIM card, but then couldn't explain how the rest of the maps work. Was also told that Standard Connectivity does not including traffic based routing which seems like madness on a £40k car. Was told that if we wanted Premium Connectivity we would need to order a LR which given the £9k price difference is madness when it's clearly just software (I was told that it's not).

Anyway back home and on t'internet and seems that it is just software, a few SR+ owners started with Premium Connectivity before it turned itself off. The Standard Connectivity does include Traffic based routing, but not Live Traffic visualisation. Tesla are also saying that Premium Connectivity will be a subscription service via touch screen later on in the year on SR+

“Will there be a trial period for Premium Connectivity?

For all Model S and Model X cars ordered on or after July 1, 2018, Premium Connectivity will be complimentary for one year after delivery, as well as all Model 3 cars with Premium Interior. After the complimentary period ends, Standard Connectivity will be available for all cars at no cost, and Premium Connectivity will be available for purchase via the in-car touchscreen. Connectivity plans for Model 3 without Premium Interior will be announced later this year.”

Will Standard Connectivity affect in-car maps and routing?
No. All cars with Standard Connectivity will continue to receive maps & navigation functionality similar to those with Premium Connectivity, including traffic-based routing, Trip Planner and Supercharger stall availability. Premium Connectivity will add satellite-view maps and live traffic visualization.

So now seriously considering a SR+ in Blue, what's the best option for a 3-4 year PCP with 10k miles?

Soldato
Frustration was that I was told that Premium Connectivity is not available on the SR+...

Anyway back home and on t'internet and seems that it is just software, a few SR+ owners started with Premium Connectivity before it turned itself off. The Standard Connectivity does include Traffic based routing, but not Live Traffic visualisation. Tesla are also saying that Premium Connectivity will be a subscription service via touch screen later on in the year on SR+

So now seriously considering a SR+ in Blue, what's the best option for a 3-4 year PCP with 10k miles?

Yeah, it's always worth checking things like that out "with the crowd" (owners on the internet). The Tesla employees are usually less knowledgeable about things like that than even some of the people test driving the cars. They're often nice enough and do their job well, but you need to be prepared to question some of what they say as you have done.

For PCPs your only option is direct from Tesla (via Black Horse). Tesla don't have dealerships or variable incentives, so you won't see any "deals" on PCPs and as far as I know nowhere else is even offering them. Only PCH deals.

Soldato
Yeah, it's always worth checking things like that out "with the crowd" (owners on the internet). The Tesla employees are usually less knowledgeable about things like that than even some of the people test driving the cars. They're often nice enough and do their job well, but you need to be prepared to question some of what they say as you have done.

For PCPs your only option is direct from Tesla (via Black Horse). Tesla don't have dealerships or variable incentives, so you won't see any "deals" on PCPs and as far as I know nowhere else is even offering them. Only PCH deals.

Ah, so PCH would be the Octopus one where you have to make the final payment (or sell the car yourself) as oppose to making final payment, selling car yourself or giving car back. In effect, PCH risk is on me, PCP risk is on them?

My big frustration was being argued with and told that it would be impossible to give an SR+ Premium Connectivity when it's clearly software. I appreciate that in the ever changing world of Telsa it can be hard to keep up but when it's a FAQ on their website I'd expect their staff to know that much.

Soldato
Oh and if Elon is reading this. Don't care about the full self drive but would happily pay a reasonable amount for just the auto park. You could even make it pay-per-park of £1/park to keep my wife happy :D

Soldato
Ah, so PCH would be the Octopus one where you have to make the final payment (or sell the car yourself) as oppose to making final payment, selling car yourself or giving car back. In effect, PCH risk is on me, PCP risk is on them?

With PCH like with Octopus you just pay a monthly amount and then at the end of the contract you hand the car back. There's no final payment and no guarantee that you could "buy" the vehicle at the end of the contract. With PCP like Tesla via Black Horse there's always a GFV ("balloon payment") that's agreed at the start of the contract. This is what you'd agree to pay to keep the car at the end of the contract, or alternatively you would just hand the car back instead.

Soldato
With PCH like with Octopus you just pay a monthly amount and then at the end of the contract you hand the car back. There's no final payment and no guarantee that you could "buy" the vehicle at the end of the contract. With PCP like Tesla via Black Horse there's always a GFV ("balloon payment") that's agreed at the start of the contract. This is what you'd agree to pay to keep the car at the end of the contract, or alternatively you would just hand the car back instead.

ah thanks, think I'd prefer the option to keep the car (or at least benefit if it's worth more). Will see what numbers are offered.

Soldato
Impressed how quick they have picked up my deposit - I paid last night via bank transfer and it was all confirmed this morning. Uploaded my details/license etc. Just waiting the next steps

Back
Top Bottom