Upgrade over TV sound

Associate
Hi all,

My wife recently got the 50" Philips 50PUS6703 Ambilight TV, but she wants to upgrade the sound, mainly because movies (sky movies) are often only just loud enough on max volume, and sometimes isn't enough to properly hear dialogue.

So I was thinking of getting a soundbar/base but I've no clue what's good and what isn't, which features are a must etc. I think the only thing she'll want is Bluetooth so she can play music from her phone. She's mentioned she wants surround and something with bass, but mainly it's got to be a significant upgrade over the TV speakers.

Budget wise, I was hoping to spend as little as £150, however, if it was worth it, I'd go as high as £300.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Forget surround at your budget you'll be closer to £800/£1000 for that plus sub ups the budget too.

I would get standpoint speakers the best you can afford then a t-amp. That'll be better tha a soundbar, or a cheap htib, and allow you to add a proper sub later and replace with a avr as t amps are about 25-59 quid so hardly cost the earth.

Soldato
I second the Sonos Beam - my sister in law has one and is delighted with it. If you're patient you can occasionally get them for £300. And if you want to go surround later on you can add a pair of Sonos Ones or Ikea Symfonisk speakers, and a sub for more bass (beware a slippery slope into £££ though).

Soldato
Also don't wasts on nonsense like Bluetooth get core system down good gear not gimmicks that degrade sound (Bluetooth is low quality)

Well get the right equipment and the bluetooth is an add on not the sole form of connection, great for using hdmi to connect TV type stuff and then the bluetooth to connect your phone etc to play music from. I use the bluetooth on my AV receiver to connect my little Alexa to when I want to play music in the Living room.

Associate
I just bought a set of edifier 1280DB for my tv in the upstairs bedroom, listening through a optic cable. I also have noticed that for sky movies even the speakers have to be close to max but the sound is a lot better compared to the tv speakers!
Wander why that is with sky movies?
Cost - £119
sonos beam would probably be even better. Get what you pay for.

Soldato
Q acoustics stuff has reviewed well - was going to get a bt3 for my folks - but discontinued ... before they made up their mind

but their m2 soundbase can be now had for £170
https://www.avforums.com/review/q-acoustics-m2-soundbase-review.14302

wrt dialogue .. even with the sonos beam will it allow you to mix down , or even, input 5.1 so that you can emphasise vocal/centre channel more, if you want ...I doubt it.

edit .. saw some crticism of beam eq
https://en.community.sonos.com/cont...-for-improvment-from-a-sound-engineer-6810713
https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/really-not-liking-trueplay-6734508

Last edited:
Associate
Another vote for the Sonos Beam, big upgrade over tv sound. Has apps for both Android and IOS. Has a speech enchantment setting in the app. Has Alexa built in, works with Amazon music, Spotify, etc. Only supports Dolby Digital though, no DTS.

Movies really come alive with the Beam and surrounds, happy with mine :)

Soldato
Samsung HW-MS750 is £349 at Currys at the moment if your local store has stock. I've got the 650 with the wireless rear speakers and it's excellent.

Edit: £339 on Amazon.

Caporegime
Nothing wrong with the sonos beam. I had an lg sound bar. Paid £130 . Got rid of it with 6 months. The beam is much better.

Are you seriously comparing a £400 soundbar with one for £130?

I might as well tell you that a BMW 5 series is much better than a dacia sandero too if that is the case.

I'm willing to bet any £400 soundbar from samsung will poo all over the beam.

Soldato
We have a soundbase (ie the TV sits on top), and it made a big difference to the sound, much better now. It is directly connected to the TV, but had Bluetooth so you can use it to play music from your phone.
Ours is a Canton. I can't remember the particular model, and I'm away at them moment. They are a generally well reviewed make for soundbases though. Generally speaking the more you pay, the better it will be!

Soldato
Any sound bar will be a massive upgrade over the sound coming from your TV, the SONOS beam is nice but way over your budget and not the best featured/sounding kit on the market if you are not interested in the multi room music etc

Caporegime
Any sound bar will be a massive upgrade over the sound coming from your TV, the SONOS beam is nice but way over your budget and not the best featured/sounding kit on the market if you are not interested in the multi room music etc

+1

which is why i recommended he look at samsung in particular or sony / yamaha if he didn't like any of the samsungs. however with yamaha you really need to be spending £600+ to be wow'd by it. ysp 2700 minimum which is over budget.

Soldato
£300 wont get you decent bass or surround sound. At that price range I would be looking second hand. Sonos beam has neither good surround or bass so no idea why people are suggesting it either.

Soldato
I assume BYTEr doesn't have a 2.0 stereo/hifi he can also double employ for the tv, with an optical input/dac.

but looking further at sonos beam .. I'm still disappointed by lack of equalizer app, or ability to directly change vocal/middle channel with a 5.1 source
it seems it has some kind of micropohone, to provide a room acoustic adjust. .. equally I don't need alexa voice control.

seem to be very few reviews that show any kind of audio responses, like you get for speakers, but saw
some interesting reviews vs beam here https://www.soundandvision.com/content/polk-audio-command-bar-soundbar-review-page-2
..and the polks <£200

Back
Top Bottom