How to go about DIY restoring heavily corroded alloy wheels?

Soldato
Without wanting to sound rude, what are you actually looking for advice with? YouTube is plentiful with refurbishment videos.

Corrosion looks like your biggest issue, to get the paint flush and/or seamless the exposed alloy is going to be a challenge.

If you are really serious about doing them yourself rather than a full powdercoating job, why don't you see if anywhere local to you will acid dip/aqua blast them to bare metal to give you a fighting chance?

Soldato
£40 a wheel if you want them the same day
as you seem to say this is not powder coating - no time for the full oven/curing process

A lot of the youtube videos (youtube per se) are junk .... the first one I picked despite mentioning home/diy the guy had a compressor+media blaster.

There is equally a satisfaction in learning how to do things yourself even if the result is not as durable .. you're learning skills that can be transplaneted elsewhere too.
(you probably saw the article recently about declining motor skills .. because people are just swiping screens)

Caporegime
OP
Without wanting to sound rude, what are you actually looking for advice with? YouTube is plentiful with refurbishment videos.

Corrosion looks like your biggest issue, to get the paint flush and/or seamless the exposed alloy is going to be a challenge.

If you are really serious about doing them yourself rather than a full powdercoating job, why don't you see if anywhere local to you will acid dip/aqua blast them to bare metal to give you a fighting chance?

Mainly the best way to deal with the corrosion. None of the YouTube tutorials deal with wheels this heavily corroded.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Mainly the best way to deal with the corrosion. None of the YouTube tutorials deal with wheels this heavily corroded.
Not alloy wheels but i have dealt with many mechanical bits which have been rusty, a wire brush attachment on a drill will cut through that very quickly although will likely not leave an amazing surface.

Soldato
that's why I said use a brass wire brush - gentler ..... I forgot should probably have used a face-mask in retrospect

I always start soft and work up on things like this, if you go in too heavy handed with power tool wire brushes and such you can end up seriously OTT on damage unnecessarily

Stiff nylon brush will remove anything loose, then a plastic scraper, pulling towards you not pushing away should help to dislodge anything thats got air underneath it.
Then some sandpaper imo. If the decay is hard then I would get it flat, its ally so if you get it sealed is less likely to react than bare ally.

Back
Top Bottom