Summer Transfer Thread 2019

Permabanned
I think we are short of money there was an article from the fans wantinf answers on the debt, This will intensifiy now surely. Anyways we spent far too little while as you say Frank City woukd of spent what we spent on one player and stopped.

Do we have the money? Only £44m of the original debt 13yrs ago has been paid off per 2019 and £750m has went out to service the debt. So do the maths wherw would Unjted get the upfront fees all these clubs want when they must have 100% apr on thier loans lol.

Don
2nd summer in a row and Utd have spent £70m or less (net) , when Man City are basically spending that on one player.
Talk about twisting things :p

City's net spend this summer €98m, Utd's €94m. City's net spend last season €24m, Utd's €52m. Oh and Utd spent more on a single player than City have in that time too.

Utd are paying the price for wasting so much money in the years gone by. No club, especially one owned by capitalists, are going to spend £100m+ net each summer, let alone when they're not seeing a return on that money.

Permabanned
Pogba and Savic couldn't play together imo. Rabiot went to Juve so he wasn't an option. We need to give Fred a chance, remember what people were saying about Lindelof after his first season? let's see how he does this year.

Thought i would ask i never seen much of Savic but they say he is a true all rounder the Serbian Paul Pogba age 24 and could have cost a bit more than what we sold Lukaku for? Well why can they not play togeather in a 4231? Can Pogba not play deeper and Savic play as a 10? Could they swap like Rashford and Martial could? The same formation Rashy upfront Martial on the left. Who else would you buy? Eriksen would be four years older and would still play as a 10. I think that is something really unique a hard working strong paul pogba esque number 10. I would love that tbh!

Don
Are you ok with buying no one Baz, or is there an area you would have liked to address?
3 summers ago I was sure we needed a central midfielder and left back - we didn't sign either, Klopp played Milner at LB and converted Lallana and Wijnaldum into CM's and we made top 4. Two summers ago I was sure that we needed a CB and a CM - we couldn't get VVD or Keita so Klopp waited, we made the top 4 again and the CL final. 12 months ago I was sure we were a forward light to really challenge for the biggest honours - we won the CL and picked up 97 points.

I still think we're an attacker short of being able to match City in terms of depth but I've learned to trust Klopp and co to make the right decisions. I'm sure they too would have wanted another player or two but they won't settle for 2nd rate players, they had to be the right players and the fact that we've not made a meaningful signing is because the players we want aren't available.

Caporegime
OP
3 summers ago I was sure we needed a central midfielder and left back - we didn't sign either, Klopp played Milner at LB and converted Lallana and Wijnaldum into CM's and we made top 4. Two summers ago I was sure that we needed a CB and a CM - we couldn't get VVD or Keita so Klopp waited, we made the top 4 again and the CL final. 12 months ago I was sure we were a forward light to really challenge for the biggest honours - we won the CL and picked up 97 points.

I still think we're an attacker short of being able to match City in terms of depth but I've learned to trust Klopp and co to make the right decisions. I'm sure they too would have wanted another player or two but they won't settle for 2nd rate players, they had to be the right players and the fact that we've not made a meaningful signing is because the players we want aren't available.
Such a shame Sturridge was so injury prone. A properly fit, sharp and reliable Sturridge would have been a great backup.

Don
Such a shame Sturridge was so injury prone. A properly fit, sharp and reliable Sturridge would have been a great backup.
A fit Sturridge wouldn't change my opinion of our attacking options. Sturridge or any centre forward will only ever be cover for Firmino. What I think we need is another wide forward that can cover Salah and Mane, if they can cover Firmino too then great but that's not a priority as Salah and Mane have shown they're more than capable of doing that.

Caporegime
OP
A fit Sturridge wouldn't change my opinion of our attacking options. Sturridge or any centre forward will only ever be cover for Firmino. What I think we need is another wide forward that can cover Salah and Mane, if they can cover Firmino too then great but that's not a priority as Salah and Mane have shown they're more than capable of doing that.
You mean like a Lucas Moura type player?

Soldato
Talk about twisting things :p

City's net spend this summer €98m, Utd's €94m. City's net spend last season €24m, Utd's €52m. Oh and Utd spent more on a single player than City have in that time too.

Utd are paying the price for wasting so much money in the years gone by. No club, especially one owned by capitalists, are going to spend £100m+ net each summer, let alone when they're not seeing a return on that money.

I haven't twisted anything at all

Utd should have had ~10m+ in the accounts from Fellaini to China which you haven't allowed for

City were also a much more defined team before last summer and the summer before so no wonder Utd NEED to spend more - even without the massive points difference in both seasons

Whatever Utd have spent previously - they still earnt more than nearly every one in European football, so its complete BS to say we couldn't afford to

As previously stated - they didn't spend anywhere near £100m net in either of the last two summers

Utd wouldn't be one of the richest clubs in the world - which they still are - if the owners weren't still seeing a return. It may not be on the pitch but they are still earning money

IF anything - given how close the EPL is - the owners are actually risking far more because with average players in the squad covering up for their lack of spending Utd are more likely to end up lower in the EPL than they already are rather than actually earn more for being in the CL etc

Don
...Utd should have had ~10m+ in the accounts from Fellaini to China which you haven't allowed for...

No, I've taken the figures from Transfermark which includes Fellaini's sale. You tried to use City's spending as some sort of yard stick when Utd have spent just as much as them this season and more last season. What was most confusing was the "City spend that on one player" line when Utd have spent more on a single player than City.

In fact, SwissRamble done a little thing on twitter regarding transfer spends of PL clubs over the last 5 years where accounts are available (13/14 - 17/18) and Utd's net spend (£525m) was £9m more than City's (£516m) and a million miles ahead of Chelsea in 3rd. The season prior to that Utd won the League too so I'm not sure you can argue that City started from a much stronger position. Even adding approx 10% on to City's wage bill to factor in the costs they shift onto their parent company, Utd have spent as much (more in fact) in wages too.

No Utd fan can complain about the amount of money that they've spent. Unfortunately Utd have just bought too many poor players so their massive spending has been wasted and they're paying for that.

And for clarity, I didn't say Utd couldn't afford to spend £100m+. I said no club run by capitalists are going to repeatedly spend that much, especially when they're not seeing a return. The whole "they're risking more by not spending" arguement is a nonsense too. Utd are proof that just throwing money at things doesn't work. If you want to look at it from a pure investment point of view, how much more do Utd need to spend to significantly increase their chances of making the top 4? Lets be generous and say one top class attacker would be enough, although you have said you need 2 midfielders too. That's likely to mean £70m+ in fees + £10-15m in wages. Maybe I'm mad but if I was advising the Glazers from a pure financial point of view, I'm not sure I'd suggest they spent an extra £85m to increase their chances of making top 4 by 15-20%, which'll be worth somewhere in the region of £60-70m in additional revenue.

Utd need to spend better, not more.

Caporegime
Agreed. I'm slightly disappointed we didn't sign another midfielder but I'm equally glad we didn't make a rash purchase just for the sake of it. I think the signings we made are good and I'm optimistic about the youngsters getting a chance this season. We're not going to be competing for the title this year but I'm fine with taking a year to do a rebuild right.

Soldato
2019/2020 - Full Squad Depth [based on pre-season, PL. and MU. sites]

hpxi22qxoaf31.jpg

source reddit

looking at this we needed a DM to back up Matic and a CF

fez

fez

Caporegime
Agreed. I'm slightly disappointed we didn't sign another midfielder but I'm equally glad we didn't make a rash purchase just for the sake of it. I think the signings we made are good and I'm optimistic about the youngsters getting a chance this season. We're not going to be competing for the title this year but I'm fine with taking a year to do a rebuild right.

Problem is that I have little faith that we are going to do a rebuild right. You can't have top players and slowly rebuild over 4-5 seasons while not getting champions league football. I mean it wouldn't surprise me massively if Pogba tries to leave before the end of the window and both him and DDG will be gone next summer if we miss out on CL. Then we will have £200m extra to spend but other clubs will know that and we will probably spend it poorly like usual.

The time to do this would have been over the past 3-4 years when we hadn't shown ourselves to be completely inept in the transfer market and when the club hadn't lost a lot of its appeal.

I will be happy if youth is given a genuine chance this season but will it? Will Gomes, Greenwood, Tuanzebe be given game time over Mata, Matic, Lingard etc? My guess is that they won't. I think we will know a lot more after the first 3-4 games of the season but fingers crossed.

Associate
2019/2020 - Full Squad Depth [based on pre-season, PL. and MU. sites]

hpxi22qxoaf31.jpg

source reddit

looking at this we needed a DM to back up Matic and a CF

That's the least of your worries imo,you have no prolific goalscorers Martial and Rashford between them last season scored 20 goals. You need at least a 20+ goalscorer in any team.

That squad will struggle to get into the top 6 let alone the top 4.

Last edited:
Soldato
Id say Uniteds was weaker then ours. A forward would have been nice but we have enough to go again next season.
I think my view is coloured by the fact that as European Champions and contenders to EPL then there has never been a better time to attract further quality to Liverpool. I'm no expert but how much depth is there in each position in order to challenge Man City for the title. City augment every year seemingly without too much fuss. If Liverpool want to usurp them then perhaps they need to have credible back ups to the likes of van Dyke, Salah, Robertson??

Back
Top Bottom