WiFi / ethernet / virtualisation

Associate
I am running a VM with Ubuntu on a Windows 10 Host. They currently both use my wired/router connection. Can I set up the VM to only connect using a separate WIFI dongle and never use the wired connection? I have a WIFI adaptor in the computer if I need it.

Associate
OP
What are you using for the virtualisation?
I am not sure what you mean?
You should be able to passthrough (in this case USB) hardware, from host to guest, via the hypervisor.
If you're using VirtualBox for instance then it's just a case of making sure USB is enabled on the guest and then selecting the USB device to passthrough - https://www.howtoforge.com/virtualb...-usb-devices-to-guests-on-an-ubuntu-8.10-host
So I need to plug the dongle into the PC? And I do not need to go through the WIFI adaptor?

Soldato
I am not sure what you mean?

So I need to plug the dongle into the PC? And I do not need to go through the WIFI adaptor?

Exactly that - plug the device in to the HOST (Win 10) system, then passthrough the device to the GUEST (Ubuntu) system via what-ever hypervisor you're using.
If it's a supported device under Ubuntu, then you should be able to configure the WiFi adaptor there.

As @bremen1874 mentions, it'd be handy to know what hypervisor/virtualisation software you're using as someone will be able to point you to a tutorial/setup guide etc

Soldato
If it's VirtualBox is it even necessary to pass it through and worry about Linux drivers?

If the wireless connection is active on the host then you should be able to select it in the network configuration for the client VM.

The real question is why you’d want to do this in the first place? There may be options to do what you want using the wired connection.

Associate
OP
Different IP recorded by the website which is WAN. PC and dongle are connecting two different computers through two different ISPs. Dongle has a sim card.

Soldato
So it isn't a Wi-Fi dongle?

If it's a 3G/4G dongle is it supported under Linux?

Could you use a VPN to get a different WAN IP for the VM? I appreciate that, depending on where you're connecting to, they may be checking for and blocking VPN connections.

Associate
OP
Apologies, I have totally confused things due to a lack of clarity. A VPN does not work, as noted above VPN connections are blocked. To clarify, I currently have my desktop connected to the router. Separate laptops are connect by WiFi to their own dongle, which then connects to the internet via the mobile network. I am trying to replace at least one if eventually not all of the laptops with virtual machine for convenience and space saving. I have set up the first VM which is working great but connecting through the router so using the same IP address as my desktop. I just need to get it to connect to the dongle which does not even need to be plugged in. I think that all I need to do is connect the dongle to the WiFi adaptor on my desktop and get the VM to only use the WiFi adaptor, but I cannot see how to do this. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apologies, I am using Virtualbox 6.0.10 with Unbuntu 18.04 as the Guest OS.

Follow this (i know it's a Linux host but it's essentially the same) - https://www.howtoforge.com/virtualb...-usb-devices-to-guests-on-an-ubuntu-8.10-host

As mentioned though, make sure your 3/4G-come-WiFi USB devices are supported under Ubuntu and you have the drivers installed otherwise you'll get no-where when you pass the devices through to your guest(s).

This does sound like a perfect excuse to use a Microserver or similar with all of your USB devices hanging of it and running ESXI (another hypervisor) for your Ubuntu VM guests.

Associate
OP
Yes I may need to look at a different VM programme. I have narrowed the problem down to the Linux drivers, or lack of, for my WiFi adaptor so I will raise a separate post in the Linux section relating only to the drivers for my WiFi adaptor which is a Qualcomm Atheros AR938x.

Back
Top Bottom