WiFi / ethernet / virtualisation

Associate
How is VPN not an option?
There is no way your endpoint is going to have a list of all the vpn ipaddress you could use, just looking at my copy of Nord and i can choose hundreds of places with different public facing ip addresses all different.
Unless you mean your own network at your end is blocking vpn access which if its a corporate lan then understandable - however that could be opened up easily enough.
If its a home broadband connection or you have control over it then you shouldnt have any issue with using a vpn.

Whats the end site you are trying to access?

Associate
OP
It is a home broadband accessing various sites. If a member account logs in from Singapore, London, Australia, USA, etc they know you are using a VPN and account is closed!

Soldato
Yes I may need to look at a different VM programme. I have narrowed the problem down to the Linux drivers, or lack of, for my WiFi adaptor so I will raise a separate post in the Linux section relating only to the drivers for my WiFi adaptor which is a Qualcomm Atheros AR938x.

Do you know what Ubuntu (guest) is reporting the device to be when passing through the device from the host?
Issue the below to find out (grep'd lspci for network devices) -
Code:
lspci -nnk | grep -iA 2 '^[^[:space:]].*net' | sed '/^--$/d; /^[^[:space:]]/ i\\'

Sometimes adaptors report erroneous Device ID's, suffixed with 'abcd' usually, that can cause all sorts of problems. Typically you want to make sure everything is up-to-date (BIOS especially).

It might be better to ask on the Ubuntu forums, although there already appears to be a thread about this adaptor - https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2396798

Edit - Link explaining the 'abcd' issue - https://askubuntu.com/questions/1042215/wireless-ath9k-suddenly-stopped-working-on-ubuntu-16-04

Edit 2 - Just to add, does this adaptor work correctly within Ubuntu when using it on a bare-mental (ie - your laptops, no virtualisation) system?

Associate
It is a home broadband accessing various sites. If a member account logs in from Singapore, London, Australia, USA, etc they know you are using a VPN and account is closed!

Sounds like they are just geofencing it then, if anything comes in from outside the country then down comes the hammer. However this wouldnt stop you using UK vpn addresses.
Another way of doing this is cheaply could be using the free home use copy of esxi (vmware) and a couple of network cards to go to whatever connection you have (more than one broadband connection, 4g modem ect)
Get a pc, put 2 or 3 network cards in it, esxi on and then use it to run as many windows VMs you need. You then assign network ports to vms then off those to whatever you use to connect up with.
Bonus for this is that its cheep, all you really need to spend on is how you connect to the internet for each VM - heck you could use 4g phones on a wireless link to multi wireless cards in the computer instead of network cards.
Plus you can run windows on each VM keeping you away from linux and its very unfriendly ways.

I use something like this for my own connection, except instead of multiple network connections i use multiple vlans and software routing.

Associate
OP
00:03.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller [8086:100e] (rev 02)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter [8086:001e]
Kernel driver in use: e1000

This what the code returns and yes the adaptor works outwith virtualisation.

Soldato
That appears to be the virtual network adapter VirtualBox presents to the VM.

It doesn't tell anyone very much without knowing how the VM's network settings are configured in VirtualBox.

Associate
OP
s3r8lr0

I have not touched this so these are all the default settings.

https://imgur.com/s3r8lr0

Back
Top Bottom