Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [9th - 11th August 2019]

Soldato
Strange game

Squad is what it is - lots of players who are very unlikely to become the best of players but at least the youth care. Another transition year, probably got at least this and next ahead of us.

Pogba is the most infuriating player I've ever watched, the definition of inconsistent.

Moment of the match - James' goal, not sure other than just something about that felt right.

Soldato
I don't know if it was Chelsea who were bad in defence but Man UTD haven't looked that good for a few years.

Excellent because when they play against lads who can finish they lose that.

Chelsea are bobbins at the back but they had some big chances and for an hour it was a close game. Zouma killed it with his brainfart.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Didn't think too much of either lineup in the 16:00 game, caught bits of it but were United that good or Chelsea just really bad?

Chelsea were a bit like a good mid-table side. Solid at times, created some half chances but lacked that little spark or quality finished to make anything of it. Oh, and their defence is gash.

Soldato
Chelsea manager Frank Lampard says it was "nowhere near a 4-0".

I agree in a way...Chelsea were the better side for large parts just had some donkeys in both boxes.

As much as i dont rate Luiz...good lord they needed him today. Mad how they let Cahill AND Luiz go in the same window when thats their back up.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Positives.

Wan Bissaka absolute beast.
Harry Maguire solid commanding opener.
Our front two both got goals.
Daniel James

Negatives. Need more control in CM.
Pogba so inconsistent.

Pogba is inconsistent but it just makes me wonder what he would be like if we actually gave him some decent midfielders alongside him. He seems to want to do everything himself and when like like on Lingard, McTominay and Periera are contributing the square route of FA I don't blame him.

Caporegime
Pogba is inconsistent but it just makes me wonder what he would be like if we actually gave him some decent midfielders alongside him. He seems to want to do everything himself and when like like on Lingard, McTominay and Periera are contributing the square route of FA I don't blame him.

Periera is no where near United quality. He brings nothing to the team but I guess he works hard as Ole seems to rate him.

Permabanned
Was Shaw really an extra stone overweight? Twitter claims he had man boobs well if true idk what that boy needs if you behave like that you will have injury after injury. We already sold one fatboi from Belgium!

Overall Bissaka needs positioning work on his far post but what a platform to build on and Pogba is a beast. If he ever goes to Madrid he will be a beast with good players around him people still moan. Lads you will moan harder when he leaves trust me on that.

Soldato
Was Shaw really an extra stone overweight? Twitter claims he had man boobs well if true idk what that boy needs if you behave like that you will have injury after injury. We already sold one fatboi from Belgium!

Overall Bissaka needs positioning work on his far post but what a platform to build on and Pogba is a beast. If he ever goes to Madrid he will be a beast with good players around him people still moan. Lads you will moan harder when he leaves trust me on that.

Shaw is an easy target...he isnt overweight.

Pogba is absolutely key to how United tick. If he leaves this summer youre in trouble imo.

Soldato

Pogba is absolutely key to how United tick. If he leaves this summer youre in trouble imo.

Shaw is average in my opinion. It's this that makes him an easy target. Nobody would care about this slightly rotund physique if he was ripping it every week. AWB has shown in 1 match what a half decent full back should be capable of at his level.
Even Woodward won't let Pogba leave now, he's here until at least January. I dont like the formation with only him and McTominay in the middle. Perriera is a liability sadly. I'd almost prefer to see Dalot instead of him.
Decent start but I won't be getting carried away. Important that no goals scored against. Not many times that happened last season.

Permabanned

I do not get the hate, Last year he got ripped yet he was stats wise the best at the club. Yet no one ripped into Matic or Rashford or De Gea it was all Pogba. If Madrid or any team buy him they buy the closest thing to Yaya Toure by the time Pogba is 28 people will see that. Madrid know Pogba is the worlds best number 6 and if you push him up into the 10 he is also very dangerous. I mean did you see his assist for James?

He needs people to shut up, And he needs to know United will be top four every year in Europe like Fergie was. I mean look at De Gea since his fax machine broke he missed out on 4 UCL medals? What would you want to do win four Champions Leagues or play with the lads?

Soldato
Shaw is average in my opinion. It's this that makes him an easy target. Nobody would care about this slightly rotund physique if he was ripping it every week. AWB has shown in 1 match what a half decent full back should be capable of at his level.
Even Woodward won't let Pogba leave now, he's here until at least January. I dont like the formation with only him and McTominay in the middle. Perriera is a liability sadly. I'd almost prefer to see Dalot instead of him.
Decent start but I won't be getting carried away. Important that no goals scored against. Not many times that happened last season.

He did? I didnt see anything that he did that would single him out over Shaw tbh.

Its not saying a lot but Shaw was Uniteds player of the yeat last season.

Soldato
Shaw looked worse because Rashford was told not to track back on the left wing defensively , he is no where near as bad as it looked in the 1st half particularly

If either team was 3-0 up at half time the other team couldn't really have complained, but after half time Utd were 10 times better, more accurate passing and took majority of their chances. Chelsea didn't.

Utd's defence wasn't brilliant by any means - Wolves away next Monday will be a real test given our terrible performances there last season - but it has taken a step or two in the right direction.....and DDG made a few really good saves (although majority of Chelsea's shots were directly at him)

I dread to think what the score would have been like if Utd took their other chances (and got a few free kicks that were completely ignored, like just before the correctly called "offside " goal where Pogba was fouled badly in the lead up).

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yeah, too much is being made of Chelsea hitting the post twice. Beyond those two chances there was literally the one other good chance they missed when a cross came all the way across the face of the goal. Everything else was pot shots from range. We have a 50% new defence and Maguire hadn't played for us before yesterday. They will get better. We could have scored more goals and could have had a couple in the first half with some better finishing or decision making.

The thing that is a real worry is the midfield. Sans Pogba we are very poor. As has been the case for god knows how long now, when we come up against an energetic, well drilled opposition midfield we are totally overwhelmed. Hopefully we will strengthen in January if possible but I doubt it. No idea if we were in for N'Dombele this summer but he is precisely the sort of player we need.

I still think that we have a good chance to get top 4 this season but its going to depend on a bit of luck and getting some sort of functional midfield out of this squad.

Caporegime
Shaw looked worse because Rashford was told not to track back on the left wing defensively , he is no where near as bad as it looked in the 1st half particularly

If either team was 3-0 up at half time the other team couldn't really have complained, but after half time Utd were 10 times better, more accurate passing and took majority of their chances. Chelsea didn't.

Utd's defence wasn't brilliant by any means - Wolves away next Monday will be a real test given our terrible performances there last season - but it has taken a step or two in the right direction.....and DDG made a few really good saves (although majority of Chelsea's shots were directly at him)

I dread to think what the score would have been like if Utd took their other chances (and got a few free kicks that were completely ignored, like just before the correctly called "offside " goal where Pogba was fouled badly in the lead up).

We wasn't bad against Wolves the second time around last season. We were in total control until Young got sent off. Also whatever Ole did during the half time talk definitely sorted them out as we were by far the better team the second half but then again that is what you want from a manager. Most important thing is we have gotten one of the "big 6" games out of the way with a win.

Back
Top Bottom