Credit Card for USA, Halifax Clarity still the one?

Associate
Clarity and Monzo is definitely the still the top way, although cash dollars are still needed as I was shocked by how many places over there don't accept cards, let alone contactless etc.

Soldato
Clarity and Monzo is definitely the still the top way, although cash dollars are still needed as I was shocked by how many places over there don't accept cards, let alone contactless etc.

Found that werid in New York, they are funny about contactless via card but don't have a problem with Apple Pay :confused:

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
I think as long as the card is part of the big money credit companies, like Mastercard or Visa, then you'll be fine.
This is terrible advice. It's nothing to do with whether its Visa or MC, it's all about whether they charge a foreign transaction fee/exchange fee, which the Clarity doesn't, hence it being so great.

Soldato
This is terrible advice. It's nothing to do with whether its Visa or MC, it's all about whether they charge a foreign transaction fee/exchange fee, which the Clarity doesn't, hence it being so great.

This.

Neither does Santander Zero card. I think they still do the one I've got?

Soldato
Sorry to tag on to this, but it's fairly relevant as I'm off to the USA soon as well! How prevalent are places that don't accept cards? I was just planning on taking a credit card and not really worrying about too much cash (other than for tipping, another problem to my mind entirely!), but a previous comment in here suggests I may need more cash.

Soldato
Sorry to tag on to this, but it's fairly relevant as I'm off to the USA soon as well! How prevalent are places that don't accept cards? I was just planning on taking a credit card and not really worrying about too much cash (other than for tipping, another problem to my mind entirely!), but a previous comment in here suggests I may need more cash.

You don't need too much cash but it's handy to have as back-up if your card (Clarity card in my case) gets declined, which I've experienced a few times at certain restaurants in the US. Most if not all places accept card though.

Soldato
Just remember when you use your Clarity card, if offered the choice, to pay in the local currency or else you're undoing all the advantages of having it by getting a crappy exchange rate in all likelihood.

Caporegime
Interesting, tell me more please :)

Just had a google, anyone know of any drawbacks?

At a stretch you could say you're not supported by an institution as big as Halifax, but in the real world it's not likely to impact anything. I've switched from my Clarity to it, also the App is very good for offering a view of all my bank accounts and credit cards.

Back
Top Bottom