Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
I'm next aiming to run a sub 30 5k. I decided to run a 5k today to see how I get on. I came out with 33:24.

How much elevation do you generally run when you go out? My 5k today had around 382 elevation gain, 213 of that within the first mile. So its a bit of a hill to get up when I first start running.

Most of mine are fairly flat as i tend to run on bridleways by the canal. I do have a few routes which have hills but not too many. In my old house i seemed to live higher than everywhere so it seemed no matter what direction i went in i was always going downhill which then meant uphill on the last mile!

Now it seems to be the opposite whereby most routes from home start off uphill and then down on the way back. Works much better!

I've done a decent amount recently. Up to 23 miles for August so on track to hit my goal. Have done 4 days in a row though and my legs are feeling a little achey today so going for a rest. I seem to be running quicker and then tiring myself out after a few miles. It's alright on shorter runs around 3-4 miles but i felt i tailed off the other night aiming for 8 (and doing 7)

I think i'm going to set my September goal to be keep all my runs under 10 min/miles and try and work on pace more. I'm generally there but sometimes i give up and walk which takes my average over. I think if i try and work more on increasing the distance at pace it'll help. Not sure why i feel i have to do it as a monthly goal rather than specific sessions though!

@Ian_Eb Fat club isn't going well. I weighed myself last night and was 109.6kg. That was using my home scales though rather than the gym ones. I've ended my gym membership so will use these for consistency. Annoying to show a 2.6kg increase though. I've not had the healthiest of weeks, but not sure how much is due to that and how much is down to accuracy of the scales.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tried to go out again today but right leg gave up again after 2 miles always at the same point feel like I have a compression or nerve issue shutting my right leg off.

I turned the session into just doing hill repeats and some speed runs just so frustrated with the problems currently. Mainly due to I have finally got my running pace down to 8 min miles fairly consitently and taking some time out Im probably going to undo all the work that I have done.

Think Im still going to have a month off rest I dont have any races planned until next year will see what doctors and potentially hospital say soon.

Soldato
@Ian_Eb Fat club isn't going well. I weighed myself last night and was 109.6kg. That was using my home scales though rather than the gym ones. I've ended my gym membership so will use these for consistency. Annoying to show a 2.6kg increase though. I've not had the healthiest of weeks, but not sure how much is due to that and how much is down to accuracy of the scales.

@Ian_Eb Update, re-weighed myself this morning to have consistency of the time (i last weighed myself in the morning) and was 106. I'm taking that! :p

Soldato
Have a great holiday. Try out paddle boarding if you can. I've just got into it and i bet doing it somewhere like Bali would be amazing!

First run out for me this morning since last Wednesday. Felt good to be out and was surprisingly quick. I seem to be finding a 9:30-9:40 pace quite natural at the moment. Just need to work on fitness to style it out to longer runs.

Underboss
not been for a run in 2 months, finally found a week i can go without stopping for a week because its too hot!
anyway, so i went easy today, i only did 1.6 miles, my garmin watch said i did the fastest 1 mile !
strava dosent though lol

anyway heres the strava link :

https://www.strava.com/activities/2615468194

not bad considering i took it easy as possible, my normal run is about 11 m/mile (or just under)

Soldato
not been for a run in 2 months, finally found a week i can go without stopping for a week because its too hot!
anyway, so i went easy today, i only did 1.6 miles, my garmin watch said i did the fastest 1 mile !
strava dosent though lol

not bad considering i took it easy as possible, my normal run is about 11 m/mile (or just under)

Good work. Glad you've got back out there. I've had that with Strava. It sometimes even changes times between the Strava app on my watch and the iphone app when it's uploaded to my phone!

I struggled this morning and ended up walking a bit. Think the rain and some heat has just made it really humid and still feeling some effects of a boozy weekend. I hate getting old and it taking ages to recover :(

SPG

SPG

Soldato
So started a 6week plan in HR training this week, Its very very strange spent at least 20mins of the 40min session walking :) Whether this is a sign of my total lack of fitness (10k is just 59:29 atm) but strangely i had that nice feeling in your legs when you know you have done some work, but its not painfull kinda. By all accounts this will be the norm for at least 4 weeks so easy training ahead :)

Soldato
Do you guys have any healthy eating books that could benefit a runner? I'm tempted to buy one and start making healthier choices. Any recommendations?

I had the idea to go out today but the wind put me off and my legs still ache a little after walking 6 miles yesterday. Will be walking the same distance later on today also, so hopefully I get out tomorrow for a run.

Soldato
Just preparing to go out, hoping to make it before the heavy rain really begins. Anyone else out today?

Yes out for 11 miles today despite my leg issues previously reported very happy with the run minus the end @9:05 AVG pace and finish time of 1:39:57

Happy with my pace even if I have to stop and walk for 10 seconds a few times (due to my right leg issues forcing me to stop) just have to work on pace towards the end started to slip quite a lot.

But happy Im on course to beat my record of under 2 hours for a half marathon.

Underboss
strava dosent though lol

Next run today

My back was hurting all day today, took strong tablets at 11am, eased a little, took another one when I finished work at 3, still hurting, trying to decide if I'd risk it, so I thought I'd change into my run clothes, goto destination and see how I feel. And I decided to see how it goes, stop if it got worse but actually the run helped to ease it more ? So I did 2 miles and again my Garmin said fastest 1 mile and I was In the red because I was going up a slope into a headwind, and did a 10.33 minutes a mile :confused:

Soldato
Just try and make sure you stretch off well. Especially your glutes as that should help your back too (if it’s lower back)

I’m well behind on my monthly distance target. Went out today and not sure if it was the heat or if paddle boarding puts more strain on my legs than I realise but I really struggled. Think the only full mile I ran was the first one!

Back
Top Bottom