30 mph !

Soldato
I hadn't driven for years also, takes a while to get used to it, was very weird at first, you realise how ridiculously dangerous it is. I'm kind of settled back into it though.

Caporegime
I drive up and down a 40mph dual carriage way every day for work. On my way home today doing 40 as I usually do a Merc came up behind me, I was watching it in my rear view and saw it starting to veer right. I thought this guy is gunna try and overtake me and sure enough he changes lane(without indicating), so I put my foot down to match his speed to keep him in place and ended up doing 60mph upto the roundabout and met a van on my right that was doing 40 so I could slow down and still keep the Merc behind.

He was behind me for for about 5 minutes after this but just because of travelling the same route and the roads went to single lane. So I could have not been a **** and let him pass me but where would it have got him? no where really we just would have swapped places.

I see driving like this daily, cars speeding and weaving in and out of lane to get ahead but 20 seconds later I'll be right next to them at the traffic lights or waiting to get on a roundabout and the big question I'd love to ask these people is "what did all that just achieve?"
I sincerely hope you're joking otherwise you should have your licence ripped up.

Soldato
Worst one I had was waiting to let a car pass through in a small residential area only to be overtaken by a driving instructor once the car had come through. Couldn't have mistaken me for parking as my car wasn't positioned in such a way. Loaded front and rear dash cam footage and posted it to their FB page and promptly received a strongly worded response. :rolleyes::D

Soldato
OP
@movingtables I'm an advanced driving tutor with RoSPA RoADAR on the other side of the water from you. I'd strongly recommend a few sessions of extra tuition after your break from driving, to allow you to get back up to speed, gain confidence and learn a few tricks for managing traffic. If you fancy an informal hour or two out without committing to anything, just drop me a PM and I'd be happy to come out for an assessment/coaching drive with you.

Edit: To be clear, no charges or anything - it's something I do as a volunteer because I enjoy it. I'm qualified to teach and we can have a bit of fun.

thanks so much for the offer buddy that's so nice.
I've been taking it all to personal on the road mostly because my dad recently passed away and he left me his car and any aggression towards it
on the road felt personal, daft i know.
I've been driving without looking in the rear view mirror constantly and it all feels more relaxed now.
If i run into any issues and the offer is still available i'll take you up on it if that's ok.
many thanks again buddy.

Soldato
thanks so much for the offer buddy that's so nice.
I've been taking it all to personal on the road mostly because my dad recently passed away and he left me his car and any aggression towards it
on the road felt personal, daft i know.
I've been driving without looking in the rear view mirror constantly and it all feels more relaxed now.
If i run into any issues and the offer is still available i'll take you up on it if that's ok.
many thanks again buddy.

No worries, and I'm sorry to hear about your dad. Just be aware that ignoring the rear view mirror is putting a plaster on the symptoms - you could (should) be using that information to inform your driving plan and controlling the traffic around you, rather than letting it control you. Try managing your space on the road, keeping an invisible 'shield' or 'bubble' around you. Ideally you want to manage the space so that you become the lead car in the procession, controlling all those behind. If you're in a crocodile train of cars, you're naturally dependent on the car in front - he slows, you slow. He speeds up, so can you - etc.

In practice, this means leaving enough of a gap that the cars in front become irrelevant, and that those behind are subject to your positioning and speed. This removes the pressure of 'holding people up' and gives you back control. You become the conductor. Don't just hug the left of the lane, use bold positioning where suitable, be brisk up to the limits and hold your speed and position. Keep your vision up high and forward, with scans back through the middle distance, alongside and behind. Make plans on what you see, don't just passively watch. If brake lights come on 300 yards in front, be ready to slow or ease off the gas in anticipation. Control the cars behind with the ebb and flow of what you see and expect to see in front.

If anyone objects just remember you're in charge, not them, and if they wish to pass (illegally) then let them - they'll soon become one of the irrelevant cars in the far space in front. Just worry about yourself and keeping dad's car safe. Like I said if you fancy a run out just shout. Advanced driving is nothing like learner driving, it's not boring and you'd be surprised at the tricks you can learn at how to drive quickly, safely and smoothly.

No worries, and I'm sorry to hear about your dad. Just be aware that ignoring the rear view mirror is putting a plaster on the symptoms - you could (should) be using that information to inform your driving plan and controlling the traffic around you, rather than letting it control you. Try managing your space on the road, keeping an invisible 'shield' or 'bubble' around you. Ideally you want to manage the space so that you become the lead car in the procession, controlling all those behind. If you're in a crocodile train of cars, you're naturally dependent on the car in front - he slows, you slow. He speeds up, so can you - etc.

In practice, this means leaving enough of a gap that the cars in front become irrelevant, and that those behind are subject to your positioning and speed. This removes the pressure of 'holding people up' and gives you back control. You become the conductor. Don't just hug the left of the lane, use bold positioning where suitable, be brisk up to the limits and hold your speed and position. Keep your vision up high and forward, with scans back through the middle distance, alongside and behind. Make plans on what you see, don't just passively watch. If brake lights come on 300 yards in front, be ready to slow or ease off the gas in anticipation. Control the cars behind with the ebb and flow of what you see and expect to see in front.

If anyone objects just remember you're in charge, not them, and if they wish to pass (illegally) then let them - they'll soon become one of the irrelevant cars in the far space in front. Just worry about yourself and keeping dad's car safe. Like I said if you fancy a run out just shout. Advanced driving is nothing like learner driving, it's not boring and you'd be surprised at the tricks you can learn at how to drive quickly, safely and smoothly.

Haven't watched the video, but some pretty good advise in there, especially the bubble. I leave a space between me and the car in front, in the rare occasion some idiot undertakes. Generally if you leave a space between yourself and the car in front, the one behind will also leave a space.

One thing I will add is don't lane hog on the motorway, if the left lane has a large enough gap, move into it or people will be forced to undertake you. Another thing, don't be too hesitant (I'm sure this will improve in time) and driving unreasonably slowly will likely frustrate those around you, making them more likely to do something stupid, causing an accident.

Soldato
Another one that gets me is people who don't know what a dual-carriageway actually is. I've been over a lot of single-lane dual-carriageways and always come up to drivers sat at 55-58 thinking the speed limit is still 60 - it's not; it's now 70!!

Soldato
Another one that gets me is people who don't know what a dual-carriageway actually is. I've been over a lot of single-lane dual-carriageways and always come up to drivers sat at 55-58 thinking the speed limit is still 60 - it's not; it's now 70!!

Only if they have a central reservation.

Soldato
There is an area in Newcastle upon Tyne where 94 percent of drivers failed to stay at the 20mph speed limit. The council are responding by installing speed bumps in the location.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/revealed-newcastle-road-94-drivers-16781015
whilst I don't agree w/ breaking speed limits, there are a ****load of 20mph limits that are just totally unnecessary. a local estate is just currently actioning to get their main road upgraded again, it was 20'd for no apparent reason and it's a complete waste of time - i'm betting as many people break the limit there as they do on NHE. meanwhile, the thing that really should be addressed - 'ing arrogant dumb****s who park on the road by the Londis and block a lane because they're too special to actually turn off the road and park in the shop's carpark - isn't being.

Soldato
I've been over a lot of single-lane dual-carriageways and always come up to drivers sat at 55-58 thinking the speed limit is still 60
I/people do do it for economy, reduced interior noise too, both seem to go squared ?
for an EV you have more limited range maybe people are more conscious of speed - fewer fines ?

20mph - not sure if the 20mph zones do, also, cut pollution, or is it the reverse for an ICE.

driving with variable speed - Section of road on the A10 with several roundabouts : even though journey can't usually be completed with >50Mph avg speed considering jams,
@50mph I need to speed up ->60 on sections otherwise you find the typical crowd want to stop at roundabouts, so to avoid that,
need to ensure you have some space in front of you (not someone diving in), as you approach them for a smooth trip, so will gradually speed up a mile back.

Soldato
I/people do do it for economy, reduced interior noise too, both seem to go squared ?
for an EV you have more limited range maybe people are more conscious of speed - fewer fines ?

Nobody ever got a fine for driving at the speed limit, rather than 10mph under it.

- not sure if the 20mph zones do, also, cut pollution, or is it the reverse for an ICE.

The 20mph limits tend to sharply increase pollution, from EVs and ICE alike - especially in residential areas and around schools. The irony.

Soldato
Yup, 20mph zones look like NASCAR races.

Permanent cause of annoyance to me. Leave an NSL road where I've overtaken them for doing 40, to then have them stuck to me through the 20 once they've caught up.

There's a speed hump outside mine that many launch off like they're in a BAJA trophy truck! Except the underside screams in pain.

I hate most people. :D

Back
Top Bottom