The Tesla Thread

Soldato
Nice, if somewhat frustrating test drive today. Took out an SR+, performance was good (if not astounding as I'm used to 5.5s 0-60), build quality felt fine and it rode very well, even on some pretty poor roads.

Frustration was that I was told that Premium Connectivity is not available on the SR+ as the car doesn't have a SIM card, but then couldn't explain how the rest of the maps work. Was also told that Standard Connectivity does not including traffic based routing which seems like madness on a £40k car. Was told that if we wanted Premium Connectivity we would need to order a LR which given the £9k price difference is madness when it's clearly just software (I was told that it's not).

Anyway back home and on t'internet and seems that it is just software, a few SR+ owners started with Premium Connectivity before it turned itself off. The Standard Connectivity does include Traffic based routing, but not Live Traffic visualisation. Tesla are also saying that Premium Connectivity will be a subscription service via touch screen later on in the year on SR+

So now seriously considering a SR+ in Blue, what's the best option for a 3-4 year PCP with 10k miles?
The other alternative is to use Google maps, ridiculous I know.

Personally I would PCP these over 3 or 4 years.

I've got it calculated so that the first 3 years of monthly payments is funded mostly by the fact that it's so much cheaper to run than an engine powered car (2.5p per mile anyone?) These savings offset the monthly rental..

Then we end up with the post 3 year valuation. musk reckons demand outstrips supply so it's a good place to put your money.

Model s depreciation rates seem to show that the public hasn't cottoned onto the fact that an electric car with over 200 miles of range is a much better proposition that an engine powered car as it won't have the same increase in maintannce costs as the miles on it increases.

The other side is come April an 0% BIK and this being the only option pretty much alongside the Korean models means that the order books will be on fire from company cars.

It's too much of a new product to know how things will pan out so I'm happy to put all of the risk on the leasing company for now.

Soldato
Frustration was that I was told that Premium Connectivity is not available on the SR+ as the car doesn't have a SIM card, but then couldn't explain how the rest of the maps work. Was also told that Standard Connectivity does not including traffic based routing which seems like madness on a £40k car. Was told that if we wanted Premium Connectivity we would need to order a LR which given the £9k price difference is madness when it's clearly just software (I was told that it's not).

Whoever told you all that was wrong. As you mentioned:
  • It obviously has an SIM card or you wouldn't be able to connect remotely.
  • It will download important security updates but more general ones you need to connect to WiFi for.
  • You won't get Spotify but will get DAB and bluetooth. Audiophiles say it is better to stream from your phone via bluetooth, though I suppose there isn't a sub in SR+ so...
  • Rumours suggest you can get Premium "soon" as an annual paid upgrade of around £100.
  • Partial premium (SR+) has graphic only maps and does include traffic routing but you won't see the traffic on the map.

Soldato
nice....- i could have given you my referral for a 1000 free supercharger miles!

I can't use two of them ;) Fear not I've got the 1000 Supercharger miles

Whoever told you all that was wrong. As you mentioned:
  • It obviously has an SIM card or you wouldn't be able to connect remotely.
  • It will download important security updates but more general ones you need to connect to WiFi for.
  • You won't get Spotify but will get DAB and bluetooth. Audiophiles say it is better to stream from your phone via bluetooth, though I suppose there isn't a sub in SR+ so...
  • Rumours suggest you can get Premium "soon" as an annual paid upgrade of around £100.
  • Partial premium (SR+) has graphic only maps and does include traffic routing but you won't see the traffic on the map.

Yup, that's what 10 mins of research showed me as well. It was frustrating/amusing (wife was sat in the back giggling at one point) as the poor lady tied herself up in knots making contradictory arguments to justify the Telsa (her) position.

Only concern now is whether SWMBO will get the PCP approved as she's never had credit before apart from joint mortgage and £100 overdraft.

Soldato
Update to my PCP order process is that I was getting a bit twitchy as I applied last week but hadn't heard anything. I was going to sit on the phone this afternoon and get confirmation that the order was processing. Anyway out of the blue I had a phone call from a Tesla rep to check my details and she confirmed my application had been accepted.

So if you have gone through the PCP option online via the Tesla website and received a reference number in email then it should all be processing in the background.

Soldato
anyone on here collecting a P- or P+ in August ?
Hang in there Kemik - Tesla’s pre delivery experience is flat out bad and despite what some fanboys say there isn’t an excuse for it. I was a day one reservation and a day one order.

The car is incredible, quite a lot going on so it will take me a while to feel totally comfortable - the regen breaking in particular is quite jarring compared to a normal car - maybe it’s just my driving style.

Drove home in rush our traffic so didn’t get much chance to experience it’s speed - but from my limited experience it is very fast!

Some pictures:

Associate
anyone on here collecting a P- or P+ in August ?
Have a VIN in my source code today and email quoting delivery between 18th and 25th of August.

I think my order went through about a week before you so wouldn’t imagine your order will be too far behind mine

Soldato
Anyone picked up a car with no prior Reg or PCP contract as that's the situation I'm in? Appointment tomorrow, PCP accepted but no contract sent. VIN is on the website but no reg sent to me for insurance purposes. Can't get any response from phone, email etc.

DiG

DiG

Associate
They phoned and gave me a reg two days before - never had or signed any contracts but I wasn't doing PCP. When the guy phoned he was surprised that I didn't have a reg yet so might be worth a phone call. Lastly - you can insure using the VIN only you just have to phone your insurance company

Soldato
They phoned and gave me a reg two days before - never had or signed any contracts but I wasn't doing PCP. When the guy phoned he was surprised that I didn't have a reg yet so might be worth a phone call. Lastly - you can insure using the VIN only you just have to phone your insurance company

Thanks but I've been trying to phone but got cut off at 90 mins this morning! I would just go but I have to buy two train tickets and then another two if I turn up and there's a problem!

I'll try again and maybe cancel via text tomorrow and see if I get a call back.

Soldato

So had you only paid the deposit at that point? Did you settle up on the collection day?

Soldato
Seems to be moving along nicely for people.

Waiting for any update on mine since paying deposit last week.

On that front - talk to me about chargers.

Need to obviously get one for the house - Should I get one with cable attached to it??

Also, with a load of different chargers out and about - do you need separate charging cable for the various types of chargers?

Read lots but getting a bit lost!

Soldato
Seems to be moving along nicely for people.

Waiting for any update on mine since paying deposit last week.

On that front - talk to me about chargers.

Need to obviously get one for the house - Should I get one with cable attached to it??

Also, with a load of different chargers out and about - do you need separate charging cable for the various types of chargers?

Read lots but getting a bit lost!

The tethered charging at home makes sense if you're happy with the extra space the cable being permanently attached takes up. The home charging and many public charging points (excluding rapid chargers) use "Type 2" cables. The Model 3 includes a cable which you use to plug into these Type 2 points. The other type of connector you'd use is CCS, which you'd find at rapid chargers and Tesla Superchargers. These have the cable attached to the station, so you simply plug them into the CCS port on the car.

Back
Top Bottom