Kennedy Space Centre from Orlando

Soldato
Going on a "once in a life time" family holiday to Disney Orlando next Sept. We've gone the full hog, everything from Discovery cove dolphines, dining plan bla bla bla...

Anyways, my wife has ok'd me to try and find a way to go solo to Kennedy Space centre. We're staying in the Animal kingdom. However, i think we're spending 3 days in discovery cove so was going to use one of the those days to get over.

Has anyone booked through disney or a travel agent, if so who and was it easy enough?

A friend out there says the public transport outside of Orlando is poor?

Soldato
Although its been 25 years since I've been, we booked a coach excursion from the hotel to Kennedy.
Was straightforward, just booked a couple of days before & turned up on time to meet the coach.

Associate
KSC is a common thing people will want to do, it's one of the biggest attractions in Florida.
Unless you're planning on trying to catch a launch, there are several of ways to do this.
We personally just rented a car, I'm sure your travel agent will have plenty of options.

Soldato
OP
KSC is a common thing people will want to do, it's one of the biggest attractions in Florida.
Unless you're planning on trying to catch a launch, there are several of ways to do this.
We personally just rented a car, I'm sure your travel agent will have plenty of options.

Honestly, that would be ideal, but the group i'm going with are .... how shall i say, prefer to believe in fantasy rather than appreciate reality haha! So out of a group of 14 i am quite literally on my own lol!

I've had so much stick on the whatsapp group saying "how can you leave your misses with 2 kids" bla bla bla.... Even thought once is 10 and the other is 8!

Associate
Honestly, that would be ideal, but the group i'm going with are .... how shall i say, prefer to believe in fantasy rather than appreciate reality haha! So out of a group of 14 i am quite literally on my own lol!

You'd probably want to book ahead then, or see if several of you can drive in separate cars. I personally would be worried that we wouldn't all get on the same tour if its a party of 14, unless you book ahead.
I personally loved renting a car in the US, the car culture there is... different. Apparently a Dodge Charger / Chevy Camaro isn't something untoward to casually rent and have a play with.

Last edited:
Permabanned

I've had so much stick on the whatsapp group saying "how can you leave your misses with 2 kids" bla bla bla.... Even thought once is 10 and the other is 8!

Don't listen to them and make sure you go. It is well worth it.

Soldato
I just booked on a coach trip at a local excursion shop on International drive a few days before. Great day out, probably my favourite day of the trip. There's plenty of things there for people of all ages to do, it's not a museum, they have a launch simulator ride and a mock up of the ISS where you crawl through little tubes, plus 3 imax cinemas showing documentaries

Man of Honour
Definitely worth doing. Depending on how much of a geek you are it’s worth looking at the bus tours within KSC. There’s a quick one included in the entry which takes you past the VAB etc and out to the Saturn V but there are other extended options which let you see the older pads or more of the Apollo/ shuttle facilities.

We did two days there last year but you could probably cover the important bits in one day if you do a bit of prior planning.

Soldato
We were there 20 years ago when there was a moon orbit launch, we drove over together with thousands of others and waited on a huge area of open land one or maybe two miles away. It was on time and although we were quite a distance away we had a clear view for all of 10 seconds and then it was into low cloud and gone. Then there was complete chaos, thousands and thousands of people who all arrived at different times were leaving together, the locals knew what would happen but still decided they had to be the first out of the parking area. It was a four hour gridlock before we got on our way.

Don
I rented a car to go see it when I was in Florida; There's different tours you can do once you're there, previous advice I received was to book a little in advance.

Personally I wouldn't bother with coaches; A car gives me the freedom to go when I want, etc.

When I was there, I did the launch directory tour, and the space centre tour - it was all together when I visited in 2012, a lot has changed since then by the looks of it!

Soldato
Last time I was there it was pure fluke we went during a shuttle launch. Was one of the most amazing things, we where miles away, remember standing up a grass bank with my family, watching this tiny thing in the distance take off, then the sound hit us like a tidal wave. Never heard anything like it.
Went on then to the Kennedy Centre, amazing place, I imagine its been updated a lot since then.

Associate
Rent a car, then you have all the fun of clipping the curb the first time you turn right. The exit of the car rental garage is evidence of how common this is.

Another great reason for a car, beside being able to pop to Target and Walmat for american goodies, is you can go right old school americana and visit the Silver Moon Drive In. I found it randomly and it was one of the best nights we had. Nothing more than sitting in a car and watching a film but it just felt like we'd stepped into a film set.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
You got kids? They'll love it too, don't go solo! I went as a kid and loved it. Although seeing a launch was probably the most awesome thing I've seen forever!

Associate
You got kids? They'll love it too, don't go solo! I went as a kid and loved it. Although seeing a launch was probably the most awesome thing I've seen forever!

Seeing a launch would be quite incredible but from what I remember of KSC when I visited as a kid, it was really quite boring. I think if you're into space then it would be much better, but my attitude as a kid was, "well I'm never gonna be an astronaut so why bother?!" I was a miserable child.

Soldato
Seeing a launch would be quite incredible but from what I remember of KSC when I visited as a kid, it was really quite boring. I think if you're into space then it would be much better, but my attitude as a kid was, "well I'm never gonna be an astronaut so why bother?!" I was a miserable child.

They've added a lot, even a few rides, maybe I'm weird but I would've loved it as a kid

Back
Top Bottom