hot hatches 6k

Associate
Audi have an uncanny ability to take a reasonably decent driving car and turn it into a fast but very dull experience which is only punctuated by the repeated thumps and bangs of road imperfections making there way inside to your ass.
BMW however didnt want to be outdone in this iffy car performance accolade and decided to fit overly stiff damping on some of it's cars so you could be miserable in those as well - they were kind enough to fit a wee badge to them to let you know when its going to be crap -M sport-

Associate
A decent R26 Megane is in budget. Mine still impresses me after 2yrs, they are very capable cars.

DSC-0202.jpg

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Stretch the budget a bit more for a Megane 250?

Seem to start and just under 7k in Autotrader, not looked anywhere else to see how much they go for elsewhere

Soldato
I think the reputation of the EP3 civic type-r is slightly overblown. The engine and gearbox are amazing however the poor steering feel and overly stiff suspension let it down. Having owned both the Mk5 golf GTi is a far more capable car on UK b-road IMO.

It also has the advantage of being vastly more comfortable as a daily driver.

Soldato
I fancied getting another hot hatch for similar budget to you OP but just can’t stomach the stupid prices of anything with a decent engine in they have all inflated with the rise of diesels and little 3 pot engines.
Was shocked to see 12yr old Focus ST’s demanding more money than what I paid and sold mine for 3-4yrs ago it’s ridiculous there not exactly rare. I just couldn’t pay the same or more for a car that is now 3-4yrs older than when I owned it last.
Same with the old Jag X type 3.0 AWD models could get them a few years ago for around 1.5k now looking at 2.5-3k for one

Caporegime
Having driven one (tt) for long periods I can really attest to it being awful. Steering feel was non existent. Ride was just plain poor. The damping was worse than bmws which is saying something.

Having owned a Mk2 TT for 3 years and doing 40k in it i had no real issues, clearly not a hot hatch but the ride was fine even with 18" wheels, the steering whilst minimal feel is quite a fast rack, felt light on its feet and had quite high levels of grip, manual box was OK too.

I agree with @Lashout_UK, the MK2 TT in 2.0tfsi manual trim is an underrated car.

Soldato
I loved my mk5 GTI. Although mine was an Edition 30. You would need a grand or two more budget to get a good one of those though, but would definitely be worth it IMO. They get a bad wrap for being "dull" to drive, but I didn't find that at all with mine. It was lowered on H&R springs, PS4's all round and had Audi S3 front brakes and it handled great, to me. I also had a few tasty mods on mine, cat-back Milltek and induction kit for power, S3 intercooler etc. But wasn't mapped. Produced 240 BHP, and to be honest, despite being a power junkie, I didn't really feel the obsessive want for a remap (despite such a remap potentially putting 300+ BHP on the table).

You could get a great regular GTI for your budget, or a "ropey" ED30. But I would definitely try to put a grand or two on there and try going for a nice ED30. By that time, you are into nice S3 money though, which already has a lot of the bits the ED30 needs to be properly epic. But they don't seem so "special" as the ED30 IMO. £7-8k should see you in an ED30 with tasteful mods bringing it to spec with the S3.

Soldato
I recently bought a 130i for well under £4k. Compared to the Renault Sport Megane 265 Cup which it replaced I wouldn't really call it a hot hatch. Initial thoughts are that it's very soft in comparison and lacks steering feel. The gearbox seems poor and the clutch odd. Whilst it lacks the drama and punch of a turbo engine, the N52 is so smoooooth, makes a lovely sound and is a pleasure to rev out.

I'm still getting used to the car and am just about to go away on a road trip around Lincolnshire and Yorkshire so I'll be much more familiar with it after. I'll then be able to consider potential changes to the car in a better light.

Soldato
Or go classic. Mk1 (or 2) Golf GTI. Then sell it for a profit when you're done :D

They don't have much power, but they are fun and aren't lacking in feel.

Soldato
What version of the v6 are you thinking of for £26k :p, used ones are probably ore than budget, but I don’t go looking, so don’t know what the market is for them

Soldato
What version of the v6 are you thinking of for £26k :p, used ones are probably ore than budget, but I don’t go looking, so don’t know what the market is for them

The old one with the engine in the back. Cheapest one on Autotrader is £24k, others up at £30k

OcUK Staff

There is only one V6 Clio ???

And 6k they ain’t being near those prices for years all over 20k and good ones over 30k.

Crap car as a daily also!

Back
Top Bottom