The Tesla Thread

Soldato
Seems to be moving along nicely for people.

Waiting for any update on mine since paying deposit last week.

On that front - talk to me about chargers.

Need to obviously get one for the house - Should I get one with cable attached to it??

Also, with a load of different chargers out and about - do you need separate charging cable for the various types of chargers?

Read lots but getting a bit lost!

Quick search came up with ~£460 for a Tesla charger which I think are tethered anyway so that's a good option at that sort of price if correct.

My Rolec Type 2 was £195.00 + £65.00 additional fitting a year a go but since the Smart charger requirement that has since almost doubled. Again makes the Tesla option more appealing as it was probably smart anyway?

After a year of charging an i3 every other day I prefer having a tethered cable myself for convenience as it just loops away quickly so I don't have to bother with cold wet cable in winter. Plus you then have the type 2 supplied with the car for public charging as mentioned.

I've even been to a Shell petrol station to charge my i3 @ 40+ KW on CCS and only had to tap my debit card to activate it, shocking! Needless to say I'm looking forward to using a Supercharger even if it's only once in a blue moon.

Soldato
FYI LV Insurance now have the Model 3 listed correctly and that should reduce your quote if it was previously listed as a Tesla Model S P60D.

Excess came down from £750 to £500. Windscreen is £190 + £20 repair.

nam

nam

Soldato
my revised order number from 1st August ends in 3858 for a P+ , checked mytesla account which changed today to the following message

The “we are drafting up your contract” Does that mean delivery is in sight or is it impossible to tell I have no VIN

Soldato
Saw my first one today on the M40 in black. :cool:

Saw my first one today when I went to pick mine up. Then stepped into a warehouse with about 30 of them!

This will not please some peeps on here as I seem to have been incredibly lucky in getting a quick allocation and delivery day. The whole process has been a bit surreal from having only one prior phone call before a final courtesy call on the day.

The delivery team wanted to confirm if I had my been sent my Reg. Nope. I had phoned sales the day before to get it. PCP deposit payment details. Nope. So they sent an email and I sent payment sat on the train. Then have you brought proof payment? Nope I was on a train! So I showed my bank app confirmation and they took a photo as evidence!

Then read the PCP docs and distally signed them. Got a 10 min tour as I had watched numerous Youtube vids and taught the rep one new feature they didn't know about. Then with my 86 year old dad. Totally bemused at this point. Set off with only 125 miles of indicated charge and about 90 miles to drive. They were very busy and struggling to juggle cars constantly.

Anyway based on my previous year of driving an i3 with only 80 miles range I knew how to drive efficiently and wasn't worried at all really. I had total confidence in the efficiency of the new Tesla motors. Thanks Bjorn for the range tests. Drove home and then back to the station to collect my Dad's car and still had 29 miles left after a varied route. Very pleased with the decision to upgrade to 3x the range (SR+). The i3 has 10 year old battery tech and it operates in a very narrow efficiency range compared to the M3 so any variation from 60mph steady state has a much bigger affect on range. App is better though and actually the Harmon Karmon 12 speaker setup is a bit better than the SR+ which lacks the sub.

4YuQAL1.jpg

Soldato
The “we are drafting up your contract” Does that mean delivery is in sight or is it impossible to tell I have no VIN

Everyone I spoke to in sales, finance and delivery didn't have a clue how the cars were being allocated. The best measure maybe getting a delivery window from what I've seen. I had a VIN but no PCP contract. I had to chase for a Reg. My actual delivery day turned out to be prior to my expected delivery window bay a week!

Last edited:
Soldato
Saw my first one today when I went to pick mine up. Then stepped into a warehouse with about 30 of them!

This will not please some peeps on here as I seem to have been incredibly lucky in getting a quick allocation and delivery day. The whole process has been a bit surreal from having only one prior phone call before a final courtesy call on the day.

The delivery team wanted to confirm if I had my been sent my Reg. Nope. I had phoned sales the day before to get it. PCP deposit payment details. Nope. So they sent an email and I sent payment sat on the train. Then have you brought proof payment? Nope I was on a train! So I showed my bank app confirmation and they took a photo as evidence!

Then read the PCP docs and distally signed them. Got a 10 min tour as I had watched numerous Youtube vids and taught the rep one new feature they didn't know about. Then with my 86 year old dad. Totally bemused at this point. Set off with only 125 miles of indicated charge and about 90 miles to drive. They were very busy and struggling to juggle cars constantly.

Anyway based on my previous year of driving an i3 with only 80 miles range I knew how to drive efficiently and wasn't worried at all really. I had total confidence in the efficiency of the new Tesla motors. Thanks Bjorn for the range tests. Drove home and then back to the station to collect my Dad's car and still had 29 miles left after a varied route. Very pleased with the decision to upgrade to 3x the range (SR+). The i3 has 10 year old battery tech and it operates in a very narrow efficiency range compared to the M3 so any variation from 60mph steady state has a much bigger affect on range. App is better though and actually the Harmon Karmon 12 speaker setup is a bit better than the SR+ which lacks the sub.

4YuQAL1.jpg

Congrats. Very interested in a real world range test at 70mph on the motorway.

Soldato
nice one @bimbleuk - lovely.

@nam - my order from 9th August (ending 4700) has said the same as you have got since the day I paid the deposit.

No Vin allocated/nor anything changed since I paid deposit last Friday. Telsa account just says the same as you

We are drafting up your contract and will contact you when you can make your final payment.

Not sure what contract they are drafting as I'm paying cash for it.

Presume I just sit and wait for it to update or I get contacted? Who knows

DiG

DiG

Associate
Congrats - hope you are enjoying it!

Did my first longer trip (~250 mile round trip) yesterday - car was very good. Autopilot on the motorway is rock solid, keeps you in the middle of your lane and basically turns it into a straight road. Found I arrived feeling less tired that I normally would have done.

Charging was also very easy, stopped on the way home at a service station, went and had some food and the car was ready for me before I had finished eating. Cost just over £10 to top up, not super cheap but certainly very convenient. Arrived home with 80 miles of range left and charged overnight, now back to full.

It's interesting watching other peoples reactions to the car, non-car people love it as well which is unusual, doing 0-60 runs for colleagues is always entertaining!

Congrats. Very interested in a real world range test at 70mph on the motorway.

I can't promise 70mph, but I'm happy to share my data from yesterday if you tell me what to share?

Soldato
There will be something to sign on the day as I digitally signed my PCP and at the end of the induction. For you it will probably just be the final invoice.

cheers - just a case of waiting and seeing if anything updates. No mega rush as my golf gti doesn't need to go back till December

Soldato
Congrats - hope you are enjoying it!

Did my first longer trip (~250 mile round trip) yesterday - car was very good. Autopilot on the motorway is rock solid, keeps you in the middle of your lane and basically turns it into a straight road. Found I arrived feeling less tired that I normally would have done.

Charging was also very easy, stopped on the way home at a service station, went and had some food and the car was ready for me before I had finished eating. Cost just over £10 to top up, not super cheap but certainly very convenient. Arrived home with 80 miles of range left and charged overnight, now back to full.

It's interesting watching other peoples reactions to the car, non-car people love it as well which is unusual, doing 0-60 runs for colleagues is always entertaining!

I can't promise 70mph, but I'm happy to share my data from yesterday if you tell me what to share?

I'm not really sure but i'd guess average Wh/mile would be a good start. More interested in understanding what the range of the car actually is at 70mph.

Soldato
So after 24 hours I'm extremely happy with the upgrade from an i3. I've only driven 150 miles but I believe I've got a good idea of how the consumption will pan out with having driven motorway, dual carriageway plus A road and given a couple of demos too.

My target average consumption will be 275 wh/mi (3.7 kwh/mi) in a mixed driving environment plus it's been wet n miserable all day. So if I get better than that I'll be doing well but cruising at 70+ mph will push that up closer towards 300 wh/mi or more (especially with AC enabled).

In comparison my i3 will do 225 wh/mi (4.5 mi/kwh) in average conditions but with more limitations. I can managed 5.2 mi/kwh with drafting and mostly steady state driving up to 60 mph but you're more compromised. Tyre degradation will also reduce the gains as try as I might I was struggling to get decent life from the rears especially. These figures are with AC off because in an i3 with only 18.8 kwh available AC is a last resort option!

Some of you may be a little disappointed with the M3 consumption I'm reporting but you have to weigh that against the positives which there are many. Another comparison I will make is I estimate that an i3 with the 42 kwh battery (37.9 kwh available) will not be that far off a SR+ M3 (50 kwh) when driven with efficiency in mind if range is your goal i. e. limiting speed and acceleration.

I'd like to see other peoples experience with T M3 efficiency as jumping from an ICE to a BEV will likely not be a good experience at first until you start to adjust your driving style around the strengths of a BEV. The traffic light GP is great fun at first but you soon learn the downsides to range and tyre wear :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not really sure but I'd guess average Wh/mile would be a good start. More interested in understanding what the range of the car actually is at 70mph.

As useful as Bjorn's range tests are for comparison they are in ideal steady state conditions (unless it's winter test of course) and only really represent the best you can expect. Real life conditions are going to affect the range so I'd expect 200 miles is achieve able with the standard "Trip" limit set to charging. More if you enable a 100% charge expecting to use the extra charge almost immediately as holding a high SOC repeatedly will increase battery degradation eventually

Soldato
I'm not really sure but i'd guess average Wh/mile would be a good start. More interested in understanding what the range of the car actually is at 70mph.

The issue with asking this type of question is is that it really depends on how you drive it and there are so many factors that can effect it. There is already loads of information out there online from Europe and USA

You can ‘cruise’ at 70mph but very inefficiently Compared to someone else. If you drive right up behind slower moving traffic and slam on the brakes then ‘hammer it’ back to 70mph you’ll get considerably less range that someone who drives smoothly and anticipates slower moving traffic. You can get close to the EPA (USA rating system, it’s more realistic than WLTP) rated range if you drive it carefully. At 70mph though it will be less, but not significantly less.

I disagree with the above poster, the tests at different cruising speeds that Bjorn Nyland does on youtube are a good indicator of what you could get on a run.

likewise charging to 100% for the odd long journey isn’t going to suddenly degrade your battery.

Interestingly if you are on a long run you are better off driving at 70 and charging more then driving at 50-60 to eek out maximum range. On the super chargers and ionity you can recharge the car faster than you can discharge it driving sensibly.

DiG

DiG

Associate
Sadly now that I've charged overnight the trip view has reset, so I only have the last 30 miles which is all fast single carriageway A road including a few roundabouts and 3 overtakes - 261 watt/mile average and estimated 261 mile range.

To be honest considering the road and nearly 600 watt peaks during the overtakes I think that's pretty good!

Soldato
I'm going to miss a couple of features from my i3 app. There's
Sadly now that I've charged overnight the trip view has reset, so I only have the last 30 miles which is all fast single carriageway A road including a few roundabouts and 3 overtakes - 261 watt/mile average and estimated 261 mile range.

To be honest considering the road and nearly 600 watt peaks during the overtakes I think that's pretty good!

I'm approaching 200 miles over varied road, weather and some demo rides too and my current average since last charge is also 261 wh/mi :)

I just did my usual commute route this morning and drove exactly how I would have driven my i3. I achieved an average of 231 wh/mi which is about 4.4 mi/kwh. I mentioned above on a typical day my i3 would show 4.5 mi/kwh so that's superb to be honest as I've not lost any efficiency over that route. Starts on A road 50 mph, then dual carriageway with cruise set to 60 mph and finally 1/3 limited to 40 mph but with numerous stop start traffic light junctions.

I'll do some more 70 mph driving later and see where that settles compared to the wet driving yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom