* The Metal Thread *

Soldato
Thoughts on Slipknot's new album?

Mine were on the last page but to re-iterate slightly differently... it's ok, but they've long lost the thing I liked most about the band which was a genuine (if unsustainable, because you can't keep it up) ******-off-ness and rage, and a lack of the heavier-side of their song-writing either due to the majority of the song-writing being done now by certain members, or just a collective mellowing-out. In relative terms at least, they're still a metal band obviously.

EDIT - the production reminds me a bit of Iowa though which is cool.

Last edited:
Associate
@ShiWarrior Leo/Frog Leap was one of my favorite shows at Wacken, absolutely awesome! The tent he played in was packed which is amazing considering he played one of the last shows of the festival, 2am on Sunday morning... My other favorite shows at Wacken was Bloodywood and Avatar, they smashed it.

I really like Unleash the Archers, feels like some really good traditional heavy metal with a briliant vocalist. Hope to see them in UK soon.

Soldato
Just to take "Black" into another direction :D

I know "Pop" music isn't made for me but just in terms of "why is a song good?" there's absolutely NOTHING I've heard in the charts for a long time that captures raw emotion quite like 90's Grunge, even when you strip all the distortion away and just have a band playing "acoustically".

Soldato
Just to take "Black" into another direction :D

I know "Pop" music isn't made for me but just in terms of "why is a song good?" there's absolutely NOTHING I've heard in the charts for a long time that captures raw emotion quite like 90's Grunge, even when you strip all the distortion away and just have a band playing "acoustically".

yeah, they came up with an absolute classic when they penned Black
talking of stripped down, brings Extreme 'more than words' to mind also, the acoustic guitar work on that song is incredible
----------

and at the opposite end :p
been getting into this album more. this riff will give your speakers a run for their money

Associate
It only feels right I post this. It was this very thread, all those years ago, where I first discovered Cloudkicker. Ben is back with his first new album in a while, and on first listen, its sounding like a real return to form. If you are unfamiliar with Cloudkicker, its instrumental music, in a kind of post rock/metal style made by one man with a day job, Ben Sharp. He plays with distorted and clean layered guitars, odd polyrhythm timings and effects, and adds just a little bit of magic. Some songs are mellow, building layer by layer and some songs are outright heavy. I loved it from first listen.

What's more, he distributes his music as pay what you want, with no minimum, on Bandcamp.

https://cloudkicker.bandcamp.com/

Back
Top Bottom