Modern 4K TV's with SCART ?

Associate
Looking at buying a new TV soon, but something I'm recently enjoying is playing some old games on my PS2, which currently connects to my old 50" Plasma Samsung via SCART, and actually looks pretty damn good all things considered.

Been looking at 4K TV's and not a single one of them appears to have SCART anymore (understandable I guess), which sort of sucks as hooking up a PS2 to them via an upscaler adds a stupid ammount of input lag, or I end up having to spend a small fortune on line doubler things, which i'd rather avoid.

Do any of them come with them these days?

Caporegime
Highly unlikely you're going to come across a modern TV with SCART, you'll need to go down a different connectivity route.

Some sort of SCART to HDMI convertor perhaps? Not sure what sort of quality you're going to get through something like that mind.

Caporegime
you need to just ditch the ps2 tbh and install retro pi on a raspberry pi or get one of the new retro consoles or people are giving away crt tv's on gumtree all the time. just hoard a few of them in your garage and have a dedicated ps2 tv. component cables might be a shout depends on the tv. he will need to make sure his new one has that option.

vcr also died and people moved on. ps2 games can be downloaded onto ps4.

Man of Honour
Where you need an analogue video connection, and something better than bog standard composite video (yellow connector, usually), then Component is an excellent choice.

RGB does have the technical advantage of full colour bandwidth for each channel. It is 4:4:4 versus Component's half-bandwidth colour with Chroma upsampling 4:2:0. However, RGB via a SCART connection in to a TV often won't look any different to Component unless the Chroma upsampling is done poorly.

Component has the advantage over RGB with progressive scan and HD. It can support anything up to 1080p whereas RGB via SCART is stuck at Standard Definition 576i.

Caporegime
RGB does have the technical advantage of full colour bandwidth for each channel. It is 4:4:4 versus Component's half-bandwidth colour with Chroma upsampling 4:2:0. However, RGB via a SCART connection in to a TV often won't look any different to Component unless the Chroma upsampling is done poorly.

Component has the advantage over RGB with progressive scan and HD. It can support anything up to 1080p whereas RGB via SCART is stuck at Standard Definition 576i.

SCART can just carry an RGB signal no? What is the upscaling about?

A UK PS2 is 576i anyway so OP should probably just get some PS2 RGB cables from amazon tbh... :)

Man of Honour
SCART can just carry an RGB signal no? What is the upscaling about?

A UK PS2 is 576i anyway so OP should probably just get some PS2 RGB cables from amazon tbh... :)

SCART can carry - depending on the wiring of the devices at either end - composite, S-video, and RGB; but not simultaneously. Some of the pin assignments are shared, so you would select the highest quality that both the source and the sink device supports.

However, all of these signals are baseband video. That means nothing better than 576i. For some devices that's all they can do anyway, so it doesn't make a difference. However, there are other devices that can output at a higher native resolution. Native means that it's the original resolution of the signal. That's not upscaling. Prior to HDMI being on everything, Component was your friend if for example you wanted to see your Euro1080 HD Satellite signal in its native 1080i format, or your HD DVDs in their native 1080p format. You needed Component because RGB SCART was worthless as **** for that. It doesn't do native resolutions any higher than 576i.

The same was true with some games consoles. AFAIK, Sega Dreamcast could do progressive scan as standard, and the games were written to take advantage of that. Running that console through an RGB SCART connection would be a step down in quality compared to what the console was capable of.

How does this relate back to the UK PS2?

As far as the console is concerned it makes bugger-all difference whether the connection is RGB SCART @ 576i or Component @ 576i, because (a) they're both 576i as you stated, and (b) I'd be gobsmacked if anyone could tell the difference between the two onscreen.

You have to remember too that the console market is worldwide, and the Americans and Japanese had HD TV for years and years before we Brits finally got our act together. Those two huge markets haven't a clue what RGB SCART is. They use/used Component. There might have been UK versions of the consoles, but the core functionality still supports Component video.

Where the SCART vs Component debate DOES matter is in the TV choice.

Trying to find a TV that supports RGB SCART is getting harder and harder. What's worse is that I've seen TVs that support SCART via an adapter cable, but what they don't tell you is that it doesn't do RGB via that input. It's basic composite video. Any buyer serious about finding a new TV is going to go blind reading through product specs trying to work out if the TV really does support RGB SCART rather than basic composite video via a SCART connection. Put simply, there's far better support still for Component.

What this leads to then is an important question for any TV buyer looking to play their legacy console:

Is it acceptable to limit the product choice and maybe even have to accept a poorer brand with more input lag and worse features simply to accommodate an RGB SCART connection? Isn't that a bit tail-wagging-the-dog? After all, it's not like these cables are expensive. Looks like they start at around the same price: A fiver a piece; hardly end-of-the-world money, is it?

Unless there's some technical reason why a PS2 console won't work at 576i via Component, and given that no one could tell the difference on-screen anyway, then what the hell does it matter and why make like such bloody hard work? Get the damned Component lead and buy a nicer TV. :D

Caporegime
That is interesting re: the TV's being crippled, bit annoying to have a new TV with a SCART sockets(s)/option for an adapter and not have them "fully wired".

I don't think any PS2 whether UK or Jap or US is HD btw.. and yeah I think you're right re: telling the difference between RGB SCART vs component - I don't think there is any difference at all in that use case (assuming proper cable and non-crippled SCART connection on the TV).

I've got an old TV from years ago that I'm keeping around for older consoles - got an RGB/component cable for the PS2 and it has a VGA port I could use for the dreamcast and a bunch of SCART connections. I might need to check those though I'd hope that on the older TVs where SCART was more important they'd be non-crippled.

Associate
Could you sell the PS2, buy a PS3 and connect through HDMI, I still have a PS3 hooked up by HDMI and it seems to work just fine with some PS2 games, the picture quality not as good as games on modern consoles as the games were meant for a smaller screen not a 55".

Man of Honour
That is interesting re: the TV's being crippled, bit annoying to have a new TV with a SCART sockets(s)/option for an adapter and not have them "fully wired".

I don't think any PS2 whether UK or Jap or US is HD btw.. and yeah I think you're right re: telling the difference between RGB SCART vs component - I don't think there is any difference at all in that use case (assuming proper cable and non-crippled SCART connection on the TV).

I've got an old TV from years ago that I'm keeping around for older consoles - got an RGB/component cable for the PS2 and it has a VGA port I could use for the dreamcast and a bunch of SCART connections. I might need to check those though I'd hope that on the older TVs where SCART was more important they'd be non-crippled.

Apparently it is possible with some kind of fudge to get 480p progressive, 720p HD and maybe higher from a PS2, but it's redundant because TTBOMK the games aren't written to do anything better than 480i/576i interlaced standard definition.

Re: the SCART limitations via adapters for some sets, it's cost cutting. There aren't many source devices now that output SD at anything better than via composite video. I can think of old Sky boxes, old Freeview/Freesat/satellite tuners and recorders, and legacy games consoles that will output RGB Video via SCART. Maybe there are some old higher-spec'd DVD recorders too, if still working? Most of this gear though has been superceded with HD-capable replacements that make SCART pretty-much redundant except in some limited circumstances. I guess for a lot of people requiring SCART, it's because they have an old VHS machine they want to keep connected. VHS doesn't do anything better than composite, so TV manufacturers providing SCART is simply a convenience and familiarity. A simple SCART to yellow red white composite video lead does exactly the same job.

Re your PS2 RGB lead; if it's SCART on the end then it's true RGB. Leads with 3xRCA connections in colours R G B are in fact Component leads. True RGB won't work without a sync signal, and in SCART its a separate pin which provides that timing signal. The lead would need to be RGBS + audio unless there are some adaptions to use Sync on Green.

The Americans coined the marketing term 'Colorstream' after it became apparent that the market didn't properly understand the difference between the two similar-looking words component and composite, and that some component outputs could do progressive. We saw some of that coming across the pond when progressive scan DVD players started to hit the market.

Associate
OP
Well I always had in my head SCART provided the best possible connection with old stuff so always went with that and thought of nothing else :p But its clear now SCART is dead, unless you buy a cheapy budget Sharp TV (and who knows if thats full fat RGB). Component appears to be the only option (with the likely negative you cant play PS1 games due to unsupported resolution, but I have a PS3 for that), and I doubt I will ever notice a difference between SCART and Component anyway.

PS3 backwards compatibility is a no go, the ones that do play them are probably on their last legs thanks to YLOD. Emulation via PC, no idea where this is at if im honest, always assumed it was still not quite there.

Wouldnt have this problem if Sony werent a bunch of bumbaclots and continued back compat but it is what it is :p

Guess if I get really desperate I could get one of those RetroTink or OSSC things, supposed to be pretty good if a bit pricey. Did try a SCART upscaler box but the input lag was a disaster, would be fine for movies and things, not games.

Thanks gents.

Man of Honour
Component appears to be the only option (with the likely negative you cant play PS1 games due to unsupported resolution, but I have a PS3 for that),

Component supports all the same resolutions that RGB- or vanilla- SCART does. But it also does more that SCART can't do. Just to be clear then, any resolution you can put through a SCART connection, you can put through Component as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom