The Tesla Thread

Soldato
Just remembered check your tyre pressures as they were recommending 45 PSI for range but may have revised that down to 42 PSI to balance comfort. Mine were 40 when I checked so I'll check them with my calibrated gauge and go a few PSi higher.

Soldato
OK so this range thing is definitely harder than it looks as there's a lot of variables to consider and other driver of course.

After 260 miles my trip is at 249 wh/mi and that's about as varied driving as I will encounter on a daily business plus 4 demo rides giving it some beans. My commute on return this morning in drier and warmer conditions went down to 225 wh/mi so that's what I had before in an i3.

I've just driven about 40 miles on 70 mph dual carriageway in 22 DegC temps and it varied from 245 wh/mi on the flat following at 4 car lengths to 300 wh/mi on an undulating damp 10 mile section but including going up the Air Balloon Hill on the A419 just outside Cheltenham.

Last edited:
Soldato
As I got back with 10% battery. Which I don't plan to do very often. I plugged in and saw 4 KW (some domestic in there too). Left it an hour to get near 20% then restarted the charge and now it's charging at the max on my Rolec type 2 charger.

Soldato
69014325_10157240023115801_4048501443827597312_o.jpg

Absolutely bonkers bit of kit, well worth the just over 2 year wait.

Soldato
2 years well that just makes me feel even worse about my buying experience.

Bad in what reason?

Tesla have a lot to learn with deliveries, reservations and customer service with deliveries and I was one of the lucky ones

The cost of red split over the finance deal was only a few extra £ per month otherwise it would have been white (before it changed to the default).

There were lots and lots of grey and black which surprised me. Blue and white seemed evenly matched at Birmingham.

Only issue I've found so far is one of the rubber trim pieces having a slight bend in it on the drivers side door which I will report via the app but other than that a good delivery experience all round. Picked up with 88 miles and headed straight to the supercharger. Reached it with 55 miles remaining, stayed for 25 minutes and had a drink and left with over 200 miles.

Easy as pie.

Soldato
Absolutely bonkers bit of kit, well worth the just over 2 year wait.

Yup, definitely stands out amongst the other cars on the street. In a good way! I do like the red myself, although also like the deep blue metallic. You definitely picked the most eye-catching colour with a sporty look and I think it suits the car nicely. Especially when you're using its acceleration :D.

Soldato
As in he only decided to order one about 2 months ago and others have been waiting for 2 years :p

Hmm not even that long I'm embarrassed to say as I placed my order on the evening of the 7th August and picked my allocated car up 6 working days later on the 15th August. It was a rush to confirm the PCP, sell my i3 to cover the remaining deposit, confirm the insurance with LV and then take a day off and travel by train to West Drayton to pick it up!

More testing at 70 mph today and on ideal flat road conditions @ 16 DegC reduced consumption to 240 wh/mi so significantly less than my initial figures of ~275 wh/mi in the wet. Tyres set to 43 PSI all round.

If you hadn't realised the Model 3 has a dash cam feature that uses the front and side repeater cameras to record 3 streams. You'll need a half decent USB stick or SD (in adapter) to record the streams and not burn the device out.

Follow the guide below and simply populate one of the front USB ports and the dash cam operates automatically. That also enables the Sentry Mode but it does continually sap power even if it's a trickle. Sentry is activated manually when required.

Simple instructions are format device to Fat32 and create a directory called "TeslaCam".

https://teslatap.com/articles/usb-flash-drives-for-tesla-dashcam/

Last edited:
Soldato
Lovely car @JamesM - Red is a cracking colour.

Looking like a good OcUK Fleet of Model 3's.

Just wish I'd have some indication of a delivery time or something. Does seem like a black hole at times......

Soldato
I guess it just depends on what cars they have on the boat at the time.

They just build batches on inventory cars, so if they do t have what you want then you have to wait for the next boat to come over.

Soldato
Hmm not even that long I'm embarrassed to say as I placed my order on the evening of the 7th August and picked my allocated car up 6 working days later on the 15th August. It was a rush to confirm the PCP, sell my i3 to cover the remaining deposit, confirm the insurance with LV and then take a day off and travel by train to West Drayton to pick it up!

More testing at 70 mph today and on ideal flat road conditions @ 16 DegC reduced consumption to 240 wh/mi so significantly less than my initial figures of ~275 wh/mi in the wet. Tyres set to 43 PSI all round.

If you hadn't realised the Model 3 has a dash cam feature that uses the front and side repeater cameras to record 3 streams. You'll need a half decent USB stick or SD (in adapter) to record the streams and not burn the device out.

Follow the guide below and simply populate one of the front USB ports and the dash cam operates automatically. That also enables the Sentry Mode but it does continually sap power even if it's a trickle. Sentry is activated manually when required.

Simple instructions are format device to Fat32 and create a directory called "TeslaCam".

https://teslatap.com/articles/usb-flash-drives-for-tesla-dashcam/

Wow that has to be a record? No hard feelings ;)

It's what they have in stock and what available orders there are, most of it is pure luck. Shouldn't have bothered with the reservation in July 2017 mind, didn't seem to make much difference.

TeslaCam already setup :D used an external SSD and bought a £4.99 app on my MacBook to replay the footage, works a treat. Already had swarms of kids around it at the supermarket!

Lovely car @JamesM - Red is a cracking colour.

Looking like a good OcUK Fleet of Model 3's.

Just wish I'd have some indication of a delivery time or something. Does seem like a black hole at times......

I think I had 2 days notice of my appointment and a couple of e-mails and texts giving wildly varying estimated times. It's well worth the wait, as frustrating as the process is, the car is superb.

:eek: What with all the silver & White cars/vans around your area :eek:

Thought I'd break the trend :p

Soldato
Had the Tesla charger fitted yesterday. Think it maxes out at around 29 miles added per hour. Combined with the Octopus Energy EV tariff and 5p/kWh between 00:30 and 4:30 I should easily be able to keep the car topped up every few nights for a couple of £

Ordered the wireless charging pad and plan on getting the front bumper and lights wrapped next week for a bit of extra protection.

Soldato
Had the Tesla charger fitted yesterday. Think it maxes out at around 29 miles added per hour. Combined with the Octopus Energy EV tariff and 5p/kWh between 00:30 and 4:30 I should easily be able to keep the car topped up every few nights for a couple of £

Ordered the wireless charging pad and plan on getting the front bumper and lights wrapped next week for a bit of extra protection.

Does the Tesla charger qualify for the £500 grant? I heard that it didn't but can't confirm.

Back
Top Bottom