Cheapest electric car lease?

Caporegime
According to VW price parity is near with petrol/diesel cars, but are there any lease deals that currently already are comparable?

I would imagine that most electric cars will end up being leased as I think it's something like 60% of all cars are leased anyway?

nam

nam

Soldato
wait at least 6-12 months for the others to appear VW ID, Peugeot, Vauxhall then I would expect the market to have better deals. atm only poor deals on leasing.com due to current market

Soldato
radio4 programme last week lunch time ... couple had a running monthly rental of a leaf for £300, all in (insurance/maintenance) you just sort out the charging.
I forget the name o fthe company .. the only criticism was the need of a smart phone app to unlock/use the car.
Sounded like a good introduction to the tehcnology.

Soldato
I love electric cars but i still think they're a bit off being a better deal currently, wait about a year as there's a whole host of new cars being released which will really shake up the market. At the moment demand is massively out stripping supply so you'll never get a good deal in that scenario.

As for the batteries, the modern packs are designed to last roughly 500,000 miles and the drivetrain is expected to go about a million so i wouldn't worry too much about buying one :p How long is the engine in a regular car going to last compared?

Soldato
I was thinking the above, Evezy as the thread on SpeakEV has a lot of good feedback on peoples experiences. However I just arranged PCP via the manufacturer on a new EV for 2 years. That way I can see how the market goes with the promised releases from major manufacturers. If there's a flood then I can simply hand back the car and will then probably look at the monthly rental option again.

Companies like octopus EV are only offering Contract Hire currently as it's a relatively new market and needs more time to mature.

Soldato
yes - in fact company was https://www.evezy.co.uk/
289.00 p/m for a zoe, not leaf, 1000 miles all in ... sure company must have mentined before here

1,000 miles? Not 10,000? Surely if you're doing that low mileage then either a bike or hiring a car the 2-3 times/year you need one would make far more sense? Even buying a 22kwh Zoe and paying the lowest battery lease would make more sense financially!!

If am right in thinking that the batteries for them is meant to cost thousands of pounds (maybe even £5000+) then leasing would be the only way I would want one

Pretty sure they all have an 8+ year warranty on the battery & drive train, not something I'm too concerned about to be honest (certainly better than most engine warranties)

Associate
1,000 miles? Not 10,000? Surely if you're doing that low mileage then either a bike or hiring a car the 2-3 times/year you need one would make far more sense? Even buying a 22kwh Zoe and paying the lowest battery lease would make more sense financially!!

he's talking a month... 12k is within most people's mileage

Associate
Albeit not very well described insurance with £1000 damage excess but saying that the insurance is third party? Assume it's some sort of hybrid insurance thing.

Its just a fleet policy like you get with company cars I think.

I've just entered month 5 with an i3 from Evezy. If anyone is concerned about what they offer, the main things to note are the £1000 insurance excess (you can get excess coverage elsewhere if you want to pay ~£40 a year), and the fact that you don't have the key, its all done via a phone app which bluetooth connects to a dongle in the ODB port of the car. It takes a few seconds to open the app, connect and unlock the car, but its not too bad. At least you don't have to carry around a key and risk losing it.

For an all inclusive deal Evezy are very attractive, they have over 1000 cars on fleet now (just been going for 1 year) and a lot of people on the waiting list for cars. I can see us having a car from them for a long time if things keep going as well as they have been. £399 a month all in, plus a few quid in electric (£1.90 for a full 150 mile charge at home with Octopus Go cheaper overnight rate!), its cheap compared to buying an i3 direct from BMW! Fixed price motoring is the way forward for me, no need to think about insurance, tyres, brakes, breakdown cover etc etc... I'll just be swapping to something a little bigger when we have a second child :) I know it sounds like I'm a massive shill but I've just been really impressed with them, the car, and switching to an EV in general. Oh and of course the referral scheme so we both get £50 off if I refer someone ;)

Soldato
As for the batteries, the modern packs are designed to last roughly 500,000 miles and the drivetrain is expected to go about a million so i wouldn't worry too much about buying one :p How long is the engine in a regular car going to last compared?
That can mean very little if 500,000miles is tested by running the car non stop at say 70mph between charges

Many engines can easily do 20,000 hours which would equal 1.4million miles if that 20,000hours was tested while doing a set 70mph ;)

Soldato
Many engines can easily do 20,000 hours which would equal 1.4million miles if that 20,000hours was tested while doing a set 70mph ;)

I guess that was supposed to be a :p not a ;)

Some motors in BEV's that could do 1 million plus miles regardless of the speed, with no maintenance, if you tried that using an ICE car and it wouldn't make it 40,000 miles (most of them).

As for the example you suggested about the battery pack, that is actually one of the worst case scenarios since the constant high drain would empty the pack faster, not at the most efficient speed which would be much lower, and as such reduce the lifespan of the pack more quickly. So I'd be massively impressed if that was true using your terrible example. ;)

Back
Top Bottom