No display after installing GPU in recent build. Any ideas?

Associate
Hi all, so I’ve come up against a rather frustrating issue and I’m running out of ideas. Last week I put together a new PC with a spec as follows:

Ryzen 3200g
Gigabyte B450-I Aorus Pro Wifi
16GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz
EVGA 450W GM SFX PSU
Crucial MX500 SSD

I had to update the bios with a borrowed 2200g but everything went together as expected. I dropped in my old GTX 1050 and it was all working flawlessly for the past week.

I bought a used RX570 on eBay, vaguely aware that it may have been used for mining and require a vbios flash, but the card arrived and seemed to be in very good condition. So I removed the Nvidia drivers with DDU in safe mode, installed the RX570 and it booted fine. On installation everything seemed to check out in GPU-Z and the bios version seemed to match stock ones I found online. I’m not sure if this is still the case with a modified bios? I then installed the Radeon drivers, rebooted and got a code 43 error in device manager which I understand is usually driver related? So I rebooted again to see if that fixed anything to no avail. I then thought I’d try removing all graphics drivers with DDU and start again but as it restarted into safe mode it displayed the prompt to press 4 but I was distracted by something else and it seemed to time out into a black screen (I’m not sure if this is normal? I’ve never left it at that screen before.) Then the RGB lights on the motherboard went out, but the fans were still spinning, which I thought was strange. I tried to shut down the PC to boot it again but it wouldn’t respond to anything, not even a long press of the power button! I left it for a long while but eventually had to remove power. When I tried to boot again, the fans spin but there are no lights, no display, no post, and seemingly no power to the keyboard to try and enter bios.

I tried removing the graphics card and getting output straight from the motherboard but nothing there either, or with my old graphics card. So far I’ve also tried to boot with the bare minimum hardware, tried to clear the CMOS with the jumper although I have no way to know if that was successful. I’ve alternated the RAM sticks, disconnected the SSD and all extraneous power cables from the PSU, disconnected the front panel IO and all USB devices and still nothing...

In terms of the hardware installation I’m pretty sure I did everything by the book. I have been building PCs for a while now, and I tinker with other electronics so I’m mindful of ESD and such.

I put my GTX 1050 back in my old PC and that still works fine (but again, the same card doesn’t display anything in the new one...) so I have that for now, but as it’s a SFF office model with a 3rd gen i5 that’s the only part I can swap between the two to test. I know the monitor is good, and the cables (I tried both HDMI and Displayport) and the GTX 1050, but that’s about it at the moment.

So if anybody has any suggestions for things I can try, I would be most grateful to hear them!

Soldato
First things first let's look at clearing the CMOS:

Power needs to be removed from the PC as that will retain CMOS memory without battery. Personally i turn off at the wall but leave plugged in so the case is grounded.

Battery needs to be removed to stop it maintaining charge in the system.

You could also hit the PC power button to drain any potential residual charge. I'm sceptical this affects anything but it's a freebie to try.

THEN short the jumper for 10 seconds. This is the most likely way to guarantee clearing CMOS memory.

After that... I've seen dead cards with the Code 43 error. I've heard people fix it with BIOS updates, driver uninstalls and such, but I've seen/heard of plenty of cards that were stuck that way. Boots fine using generic VESA adapter drivers then Code 43 once drivers are installed. I would ask for a refund.

Let's hope your motherboard is OK though!

Associate
I would try to isolate the problem by elimination.

EVGA 450W GM SFX PSU
Test this PSU in your working Intel build since it's easily available. If that works fine, we'll move onto the other hardware.

Ryzen 3200g
Gigabyte B450-I Aorus Pro Wifi
16GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz
Take these to your friend that you borrowed the 2200G from to test them individually with known working hardware.

Associate
I would try to isolate the problem by elimination.

Test this PSU in your working Intel build since it's easily available. If that works fine, we'll move onto the other hardware.

Take these to your friend that you borrowed the 2200G from to test them individually with known working hardware.

Sorry, try what @LuckyBenski suggested on clearing CMOS first, before doing what I suggested.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the quick responses. I’ll try clearing CMOS now.

At this point the graphics card is definitely going back as I don’t trust it at all and the seller has since confirmed it was used for mining. It was cheap so seemed worth the gamble, but I should have listened to my gut and bought new. I assumed the worst that would happen is the card itself wouldn’t work!

Unfortunately my old PC uses non-standard PSU connectors, but I’m hoping to test it in a friend’s PC this evening. The guy I borrowed the 2200g from doesn’t have a motherboard for it yet, but I could try swapping that into the current motherboard.

Associate
OP
Quick update to this. I tried clearing CMOS again. How nice of Gigabyte to put the CMOS battery connector under the VRM heatsink! No dice though. Tried the PSU in another system with a GPU that draws comparable power at full load. That’s fine. Tried the RAM in another system which also works fine. Swapping in the previously working 2200g also yielded no results. So I think it’s safe to say that the motherboard is done for.

I’m curious to know what killed what though. I would have thought a motherboard would have some degree of protection built in for a failing graphics card? I suppose it’s entirely possible that the graphics issue was just a minor driver issue and the motherboard dying is just coincidental. I don’t have another PC I’m willing to offer as sacrifice to find out for sure though.

Thanks to all who offered advice so far. It’s helped me to go through it a bit more methodically.

Soldato
Quick update to this. I tried clearing CMOS again. How nice of Gigabyte to put the CMOS battery connector under the VRM heatsink! No dice though. Tried the PSU in another system with a GPU that draws comparable power at full load. That’s fine. Tried the RAM in another system which also works fine. Swapping in the previously working 2200g also yielded no results. So I think it’s safe to say that the motherboard is done for.

I’m curious to know what killed what though. I would have thought a motherboard would have some degree of protection built in for a failing graphics card? I suppose it’s entirely possible that the graphics issue was just a minor driver issue and the motherboard dying is just coincidental. I don’t have another PC I’m willing to offer as sacrifice to find out for sure though.

Thanks to all who offered advice so far. It’s helped me to go through it a bit more methodically.

most likely poor BIOS flash .

if you've bought a brand new Aorus board along with Ryzen 3000 chip, contact gigabyte via [email protected]

Rep on here via @GIGA-Man - should be able to collect the board and flash - If you are worried its a dead CPU, ask about sending that as well to be checked along side the mobo . only vendor to be based in the UK for mobo so take advantage of it

Associate
OP
Did you check the 3200G CPU in a working motherboard just to verify CPU is also fine?

I haven’t, but the fact that the 2200G, which has done nothing but sit in a box since working fine for the BIOS update, has the same issue does give me some confidence it’s the motherboard. I do wish I had another AM4 board to test it in to be certain though.

most likely poor BIOS flash .

if you've bought a brand new Aorus board along with Ryzen 3000 chip, contact gigabyte via [email protected]

Rep on here via @GIGA-Man - should be able to collect the board and flash - If you are worried its a dead CPU, ask about sending that as well to be checked along side the mobo . only vendor to be based in the UK for mobo so take advantage of it

I bought the board from Overclockers, do you think it’s better to go through them or still contact Gigabyte directly? Any idea how long it generally takes for them to test it?

I’m not ruling it out, but I think the BIOS flash worked fine. I flashed in the recommended order to the latest version and it seemed reliable with just the APU installed.

Associate
I haven’t, but the fact that the 2200G, which has done nothing but sit in a box since working fine for the BIOS update, has the same issue does give me some confidence it’s the motherboard. I do wish I had another AM4 board to test it in to be certain though.
Although unlikely, both the motherboard and CPU could have packed it in. So if both weren't working, you could RMA both at same time

But since the the 2200G was just sitting in a box, does that mean you didn't have a working motherboard to test the CPU in?

Maybe you should try what orbitalwalsh suggested and ask if you can send both motherboard and CPU at same time anyway.

Back
Top Bottom