Bury just hours away from administration.

Man of Honour
All the talk of multi-million pound transfers and extravagant weekly wages in the PL, it's a crying shame that lower league clubs are still suffering. Completely ignored, the problem won't go away on it's own.. Even on these forums.. A thread about Man City escape ban.. Everton and Zero money.. and 493+ post about the Solskjær taking over as manager Zzzzzz but nothing about Bury and the real clubs that face extinction.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49414602

Regardless of blame, this kind of thing can not be allowed to happen. It's devastating to English football, player development and communities in general.

The FA and the bigger clubs have a massive responsibility, to ensure lower league and non league clubs don't get into this position in the first place. and how the league thinks the deduction of points helps the situation is beyond me.

Whilst it may reflect what goes on in society in general, the football authorities DO have the power to do something before it gets out of hand.

The closure of a club like this rips the heart out of an entire community which has social consequences too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Me and @robfosters had a few posts about this in the premier league thread last night but i agree it's flown largely under the radar. I'm from Bury originally and used to love heading to Gigg Lane.

I think the problem the FA has is, if there were some kind of bail out option, then would it just make clubs even worsely run knowing they can be bailed out. I know we're not talking huge sums of cash here (relatively speaking) and i think that's partly the issue in that local businessmen are able to pick up clubs like Bury and asset strip. There've been no end of financial issues at the club for around the last 7 years!

Will be a sad day if they do go under, especially considering the history and having won FA Cups (albeit a long time ago!) and the fact they achieve promotion last year. It's madness you can go from promotion to disappearing in a summer!

Soldato
I'm a little disappointed that the Neville brothers haven't tried to do something. Their dad was a legend for the club and the main stand is named after him. You'd think they'd want to do something to honour his legacy. Not just let it die off.

I know they have a lot of other business interests (well Gary does), but he wouldn't have to be too hands-on.

Soldato
I'm a little disappointed that the Neville brothers haven't tried to do something. Their dad was a legend for the club and the main stand is named after him. You'd think they'd want to do something to honour his legacy. Not just let it die off.

I know they have a lot of other business interests (well Gary does), but he wouldn't have to be too hands-on.

When you say do something, isn't this a huge financial pit.

Anyone fixing this would have to pour millions in and be very unlikely to get anything out ever.

Soldato
Yeah, don't get me wrong i'm aware of that. But they've got the cash or could front a consortium for it.

A big part of the issue at the moment is one of the past owners companies going into administration and seeking payment of a £4m loan. If Neville etc could clear the debts then they'd be in a reasonable position.

It's not an attractive proposition, and it's not something that would entice someone looking for financial gain. But given their families historic links with the club and the town i'd have liked them to do something.

Soldato
Whilst I really don't want Bury or Bolton to go under the issue is years of mis-management are coming back to bite them on the ass, if the FA were to step in and save them from going under what's to stop other clubs just blindly doing the same, if they can find a suitable buyer then all's good.

As people have mentioned above football is now a business and if you aren't run properly (like any other business in the country) you run the risk of going under, you can't just fritter money away chasing the big prize if you aren't going to survive should you not win it.

Man of Honour
OP
if the FA were to step in and save them from going under what's to stop other clubs just blindly doing the same, if they can find a suitable buyer then all's good.

By imposing strict governance, guidelines, support and finance from the league/FA, else what is their point. It does make sense for a club to be paying out £200K a week to a player when clubs one tier down are struggling.

Associate
By imposing strict governance, guidelines, support and finance from the league/FA, else what is their point. It does make sense for a club to be paying out £200K a week to a player when clubs one tier down are struggling.
Do you suggest Tesco prop up the small corner shop that is now surplus to requirements? Where would this end?

It is undoubtedly a very sad state of affairs but the larger clubs in the country are not responsible for any mis-management and subsequent downfall.

Man of Honour
OP
Do you suggest Tesco prop up the small corner shop that is now surplus to requirements? Where would this end?
No not all, but then Tesco's aren't the governing body to the corner shop like the League/FA are to the small clubs.

Besides, you're missing the point here. Without the smaller/grass root clubs, new talent can't emerge. Football looses.

Soldato
Football lost many years ago with the start of the Premier League and Sky hook up, it's no longer about fans but more about corporate sponsorship. Roy Keane's prawn sandwich rant received much mirth but he was 100% spot on when he said people were more bothered about being at the event rather than watching the event.

Are you suggesting that a Premier League team stop paying a player and give that money to a club one tier down? What incentive does that give clubs to spend within their means if they get a bail out?

The FA do what they can and introduced the fair play rules but most teams just ignore it and spend what they want anyway (Was it Villa who avoided it by being promoted?)

Caporegime
The Football League haven't really helped matters here, I'm not sure how Bury are expected to recover when all of their fixtures are getting postponed. The sad thing about the state of football is a few Premier League players could keep Bury afloat with a small whip-around of what is essentialy pocket change to them.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Football League haven't really helped matters here, I'm not sure how Bury are expected to recover when all of their fixtures are getting postponed. The sad thing about the state of football is a few Premier League players could keep Bury afloat with a small whip-around of what is essentialy pocket change to them.

Why should they? Bigger clubs / players are not responsible for Bury FC and how they are run.

Soldato
I agree. I don't think other clubs should have any responsibility.

The only thing i could potentially think of would be to have a policy whereby each club pays an amount to a "Rescue Fund" and then clubs can access it if they hit trouble. Maybe as an interest free loan or something, providing they can prove they've been relatively prudent.

End of the day, another club will just get promoted up from lower leagues to take Burys place. II'm only saddened as it's a club i used to go and watch. I was far less bothered when it was others in the past! I mentioned it before but i think part of the issue is the clubs being affordable for local businessmen who want to be bigger than the club and almost to be some kind of local hero. They then get bored and the club suffers.

Back
Top Bottom