Ryzen 3900x WaterCooling Help (Beginner)

Associate
OP
ok, I've just rotated mine now and just powered back up, but, for some reason my pc feels like it needs to "do stuff" now, so I'll need to wait until the backups are done to see what idle is at now. I'll keep ya posted.

EDIT: It still looks like before, but let me wait for these jobs to complete.

Associate
OP
okay, so I have the block rotated now and it doesn't seem to have helped too much, temps spike between 38 and 45 degrees C still. However, I'm wondering if my fans are not configured correctly, I've not got any fan control software installed and I've not done anything in the BIOS with regards fan control, I guess at the moment it's using the BIOS defaults for fan control.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I configure the fan control here. the 360mm radiator is plugged into the CPU_Fan fan header and the 280mm radiator is plugged into CPU_OPT, what doe you guys recommend I have these set to at a minimum in the BIOS (if software, which software do you recommend I try).

Associate
OP
Hmm, I'm beginning to think that this 3900x just runs hot at idle, and it's "normal".

I wanted to see what would happen when running an occt medium stress test on all cores with a basic fan profile in the bios, well, the cpu doesn't go over 68 degrees C, with the very occasional spike to 71 degrees C.

If my google-fu is not letting me down, then I think those are rather respectable numbers.

Any thoughts from the more experienced out there?

EDIT: Oh, and another question, if I wanted to put in a temp sensor for the water inside the loop, where/what how would I go about doing that, any suggestions on a tried & tested sensor? Also, same question, but for flow rate of coolant inside loop.

Soldato
Hmm, I'm beginning to think that this 3900x just runs hot at idle, and it's "normal".
It’s normal.
I had a h100i (240mm) on mine, replaced it with a h150i (360mm) and my idles didn’t improve.
Load temps took longer to get too though, but I attribute that to additional thermal capacity due to more liquid in the loop.

Associate
OP
It’s normal.
I had a h100i (240mm) on mine, replaced it with a h150i (360mm) and my idles didn’t improve.
Load temps took longer to get too though, but I attribute that to additional thermal capacity due to more liquid in the loop.

I'm still idling around the 46 degree C mark idle with some spikes upto 55 degrees C (background threads most likely).

I'm still trying to figure out my fan curves, although the system doesn't go above the 70 degree C mark, on rare occasions it may hop to 72 for a couple seconds, but for the most part its in the upper 60's under load (gaming with both GP and CPU in use)

Back
Top Bottom