27" 1440p 60hz monitor for under £250?

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date
Associate
I am also in the same boat. The only thing offputting is the Electriq brand. I am on the lookout for the AOC Q27T1. Hopefully that will be nice.

A department store also sells them, 3 year warranty.

Honestly I've got not worries.

My last 1440p monitor was a Qnix 75hz affair... Unknown Korean brand but it was solid till I dropped it.

Associate
Good recommendation Jay, thanks to your post got one with a vesa mount for a really good deal.

I got put off buying more expensive ones after seeing posts from £400 and £500+ 1440p 144hz monitors having banding, ghosting or IPS glow, etc and the whole 'panel lottery.'

I needed 1440p for work primarily, so while 144hz would be a lot better, for a lot less money you still get 27", IPS (mine with little to no bleed) Gsync compatible, HDR compatible, and 95hz. Gsync fully working and 95hz in games like Doom 2016 way nicer than 60hz I'm used to, though 1060 6GB struggling big time with things like Monster Hunter only around 30 FPS likely have to play that at 1080p still.

Will at least tide me over till I get a much better card and eventually proper 144hz 1440p, and will do as a second monitor or TV, well worth checking out.

Associate
I got hold of a 27" AOpen IPS display a few months back for under £200. 1440p, 75hz refresh rate and Free sync compatible. Image quality out of the box was very good and featured much less IPS bleed than my previous Samsung which cost nearly 3x the amount. AOpen are seemingly a sister company of Acer and use many of the same components.

Associate
I am very tempted by the Electriq one. It seems to have most of the features I am looking for. A higher refresh rate may be nice but I don't have a top end gpu anyway so would be unlikely to reach them and I don't play twitch games anyway.

I do have a couple of concerns. Firstly everyone is pointing to the Pixio reviews but I see there are some differences. The Electriq version has one hdmi port instead of 2 and the osm settings are more basic with some options missing. Also I notice that Pixio mark their usb port as being for firmware updates whereas Electriq just mark it for 'charging only' and they don't seem to have a firmware update option in the settings menu. It all makes me suspect that the Electriq version is a lower spec to the Pixio one.

Jay and PC777, could you confirm whether it has a gamma adjustment in the osm settings or not? I have looked at the manual on their website and it doesn't show one.Also did either of you go for the £15 monitor check and pixel guarantee? I am not inclined to do it for a budget monitor but at the same time I am suspicious that people who don't opt for the check end up getting the monitors that failed.

PC777, how is the stand? It seems a bargain in the deal if it works but would be a waste of money if it is rubbish.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

OP
I got a 25 instead of a 27, and I think thats probably perfect size given my desk tbh. 27 just would have been too big, especially considering I want a dual screen setup.

Associate
HeX, I can see the advantage of the bigger screen but the AOC has a lower refresh rate and smaller freesync range of 48-75 compared to 30-95. Also it doesn't have a vesa mount so you are stuck with the non adjustable stand.

bledd, the Dell may be a nice screen but it is twice the price and a TN panel instead of IPS.

Associate
I am very tempted by the Electriq one. It seems to have most of the features I am looking for. A higher refresh rate may be nice but I don't have a top end gpu anyway so would be unlikely to reach them and I don't play twitch games anyway.

I do have a couple of concerns. Firstly everyone is pointing to the Pixio reviews but I see there are some differences. The Electriq version has one hdmi port instead of 2 and the osm settings are more basic with some options missing. Also I notice that Pixio mark their usb port as being for firmware updates whereas Electriq just mark it for 'charging only' and they don't seem to have a firmware update option in the settings menu. It all makes me suspect that the Electriq version is a lower spec to the Pixio one.

Jay and PC777, could you confirm whether it has a gamma adjustment in the osm settings or not? I have looked at the manual on their website and it doesn't show one.Also did either of you go for the £15 monitor check and pixel guarantee? I am not inclined to do it for a budget monitor but at the same time I am suspicious that people who don't opt for the check end up getting the monitors that failed.

PC777, how is the stand? It seems a bargain in the deal if it works but would be a waste of money if it is rubbish.

The Eletriq version is missing some positives from the Pixio, but they're not enough to ruin it for me, there's only 1 HDMI and DP, the USB is power only, but enough to power my Snes mini which is pretty nifty. There's no gamma, but you do get brightness and a special blackness slider, so there's certainly some adjustments that can be made. However, in HDR auto setting, most are greyed out as auto settings, though to be fair I think the HDR auto looks great with clearly defined whites and blacks. I don't need colour calibration for my work but I do need good whites and blacks for staring at the screen a long time and this definitely does the job in that regard. It even has speakers which aren't great, but nice enough for my Snes mini, PC still uses external 2.1 speakers for much better sound though.

The stand is quality, hefty steel core with hard plastic shell, adjustable tension with included allen keys. If you forgive the pun, the vesa is what swung the deal for me. Never used one before, but I'll be using them from now on as they look amazing and free up loads of desk space. Easy to install just for one, though put the screen on the mount first then be really careful screwing the mount on. Got a solid wood desk and I wouldn't fancy using it on those rippled cardboard and MDF things you get from Ikea, it could easily crush it, so it's a heavy duty piece of kit.

I did pay for inspection and in return got a perfect screen with no dead pixels and IPS glow so low I have to look right up close in the bottom left corner to see any on a black screen.

Played plenty of games, using the Gync overlay to confirm it definitely works with gsync via its Freesync setting, even the 6GB 1060 can rock some games at 1440p and 95fps, Dirt 4 with a wheel on it is awesome, as are most fighting games even locked to 60fps. Even get around 55-60 fps on Resident Evil 2 remake at 1440p, though some issues enabling HDR in that game, looking into trying to fix it.

I researched more expensive 144hz screens extensively and those TN Dells can get very bad banding on black screens, I wanted the new LG 27 IPS from OCUK but that's not in stock, over double the price, and also seen some bad IPS glow on those in screenshots, though I'm definitely still interested in it.

Finally, I kind of like it because it's technically (albeit re-branded from Taiwan or somewhere) a British product, and a really good value for money one at that.

Certainly not the best with some compromises but I really like it, especially its value for money.

Last edited:
Associate
PC777, Many thanks for writing all that. It was very helpful. I decided to go ahead and ordered one with the monitor arm and monitor check yesterday.

Interested to hear that you like the HDR mode. The reviews mostly said it wasn't very good and to avoid it but I think they were assessing it for gaming. You said you use it for long periods when working, is that looking at text? Do you use it for gaming as well?

Certainly not the best with some compromises but I really like it, especially its value for money.

The value is the attraction. IPS screens of that resolution with a higher refresh rate from the big manufacturers that are often discussed on here sell for up to £6-700. They are obviously better monitors but I would not pay that much for a monitor. This one offers a spec that offers a lot and should suit me for a bargain price. Now I just have to hope the one I get is ok and doesn't have problems.

Associate
Interested to hear that you like the HDR mode. The reviews mostly said it wasn't very good and to avoid it but I think they were assessing it for gaming. You said you use it for long periods when working, is that looking at text? Do you use it for gaming as well?

In terms of HDR, for some perspective, I upgraded from a 22" 1080p 60fps Samsung LED about 8 years old, very basic but still a nice enough image, I had digital vibrance already turned up a fair bit in Nvidia settings, and with this new monitor and HDR auto the colours looked way over saturated, but I turned digital vibrance a few points down and it looked really nice, but I like rich colours and dark blacks, so likely not truly colour accurate.

I did do the Windows monitor calibration test that confirmed it was pretty nicely set up initially and didn't have to change any settings for that, ran it twice to check.

I've stuck with that from now on more as a case of 'good enough for now' as I'm sure you can tinker around a lot more, I haven't really had much time. Also I'm getting big upgrades from 60-95hz, 22-27", TN to IPS and also vesa mount from a static stand, so all of those are assets for me that might skew my high opinion of it more than others.

Had it about a week, worked 55 hours already on it, including a 10 and a 11 hour day, working with a lot of whites with reading black text, viewing websites, images and video, also plenty of typing, I don't need accurate colour calibration though. Also gamed about 10 hours using the same colour settings, again a case of 'good enough' as haven't tinkered with settings.

Had already mentioned games, but to add to it Dirt 4 with a wheel at 95fps with dashboard view feels amazing, feels like an updated Sega arcade machine, really immersive, vesa mount makes it feel more like a car windscreen than a monitor with normal stand does for some reason. Also played plenty of 60fps locked fighting games, all playing well with gsync, though 1060 6GB struggling with Monster Hunter to the extent I'll still need to play at 1080p or accept 30fps 1440p till I get a better card.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

OP
PC777, Many thanks for writing all that. It was very helpful. I decided to go ahead and ordered one with the monitor arm and monitor check yesterday.

The value is the attraction. IPS screens of that resolution with a higher refresh rate from the big manufacturers that are often discussed on here sell for up to £6-700. They are obviously better monitors but I would not pay that much for a monitor. This one offers a spec that offers a lot and should suit me for a bargain price. Now I just have to hope the one I get is ok and doesn't have problems.

Yeah, given that I spent £700 on a 65" 4K TV a few months ago, with HDR and all that jazz. Paying the same for a much smaller screen size, with worse resolution... Seems silly to to me to say the least.

Associate
I wish buying montors wasn't such a lottery. I'm really keen to replace my U2515h with IPS 1440p high refresh rate & freesync. The Electriq does seem like a good budget option but I'm not 100% sold on it's specs. I almost convinced myself to get the Acer Nitro VG271UP which is on offer. Then I started reading reviews on a us competitors site... not pretty reading. I'd love to get the AD27QD but it's over my budget. Guess the wait continues..:p

*Looks like Pixio are coming to the uk market soon so this should provide more options I guess..

https://twitter.com/PixioGaming/status/1149469866803380224

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom