Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Underboss
Just try and make sure you stretch off well. Especially your glutes as that should help your back too (if it’s lower back)

I’m well behind on my monthly distance target. Went out today and not sure if it was the heat or if paddle boarding puts more strain on my legs than I realise but I really struggled. Think the only full mile I ran was the first one!

Is the glute stretch on here as the buttock stretch ? https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/how-to-stretch-after-a-run/

Underboss
ive downloaded a stretching app, hoping it will remind me on which ones to do

will these be ok after running ?

Quad Stretch
Calf Stretch
Forward Bend
Kneeling Lunge Stretch
Glute Stretch
Sitting Hamstring Stretch
Seated Butterfly Stretch

i wouldn't normally do a forward bend or a seated butterfly stretch ...

Soldato
I quite like the seated butterfly stretch i find it helps quite a bit and you really notice the difference from the first time you do it to how it is after a few days. I'd also throw in the "couch stretch" and variations of it. I find it brilliant for quads and hip flexors. If you hold your core and keep a straight back whilst doing it it can be quite brutal.

I did it at work once and ripped my pants :(

I managed to get around 11miles in over the weekend. Both days i struggled (less so on yesterdays 4.5 miler). Think paddleboarding is really working my leg muscles and it's taking a while to recover. Not helped by me not stretching afterwards as i don't notice any strain during the activity so don't think it's doing anything.

Underboss
After a run, i shower, then i use an app called "stretching exercises" by Leap Fitness Group
its the red colored one with "30" top left of the icon

So after a run, i click on app and goto the Post-op Cool Down under "For Runners"

it talks , so i let it run, its about 12 mins long, 7 exercises

Quad Stretch
Calf Stretch
Forward Bend
Kneeling Lunge Stretch
Glute Stretch
Hamstring Stretch
Butterfly Stretch

its good i think

Associate
Received confirmation of good for age entry into London Marathon next year. After about 6 years of trying through the ballot, turns out all you need to do to get a place is train a bit harder :cool:

Proper training starts soon....

Soldato
Do we have an OcUK Strava running club ?
im with the Cycling one, but ive not cycled for years
if not i could create one?

Yeah it's called "OCUK Runners". There's quite a few of us in there.

I've been using my Apple Watch Workout app and then exporting to Strava for the last week because annoyingly Vitality Health won't recognise Strava workouts. It's been working ok although this morning it decided to end a run for me mid run, then stop recording for a while and then recorded the last 1/3 of a mile as a walk. Very annoying!

Received confirmation of good for age entry into London Marathon next year. After about 6 years of trying through the ballot, turns out all you need to do to get a place is train a bit harder :cool:

Great work. Part of me wants to get into the ballot and another part of me is praying i don't!

Soldato
Quite a lot of people in the group.

Not sure if a mod could update the opening post once people add their names, but it'd be good to know who is who!

Andrew Ashby
Andrew Hynam
Andrew Richards
Beau Brooke
Brendon Wilson
Dan Bailey- (Excellent at giving Kudos)
Daniel Duperouzel - @Dup
Dave Rushton
David Cross
Harold Tulley - (Excellent at giving Kudos)
Ian Marchant - @Ian_Eb
James Saunders
Jason Snow
Martin McCarthy
Martyn Thompson - @Marvt74
Neil White
Peter Stuart
Phil Butterfield
Richard Bingham
Tim Stirling - @D.P.
Tom Hinchliffe

I'm sure others have posted who they are before but i can't be bothered scrolling back through the thread :p

Underboss
good idea Marv, im guessing my request for strava running had given you the idea ;)

I also think we should RENAME the thread to "Official OCUK Running Thread" or similar ?

EDIT //

cant find the strava group, not sure if its working correctly, could u send me a link to it please?

Soldato
Richard Bingham would be me, @ShiWarrior you have to go into the clubs section and search

But as much use as chocolate teapot to follow currently just had scans today on my knees in regards to my right leg issues. I cant run for toffee currently it seems like it getting worse out running today and managed mile and half before my right leg caved in frustrating times.

For someone running consitently 70-100+ miles a month it a bitter pill to swallow.

Congrats my dream to run the London Marathon one day

Back
Top Bottom