Sent the wrong item back to Amazon and they binned it.

Associate
This would come down to semantics legally as to whether the goods were unsolicted (to amazon) or not.

Items sent to you (adressed to you) that you did not order are classed as unsolicted goods. You are within your rights to keep them.
If you recieve a demand of payment for unsolicted goods or services you can ignore it.

If the order was sent to you by mistake (ie your not the target), you get multiples of an order or you get extra stuff ontop of what you ordererd.
The sender has to collect the goods and oncurs all the costs. These are not classed as unsolicted goods.

If amazon sent you 2 new posh TVs you can gaurantee they would come out and pick up the extra one.
They write off cheap items but not expensive ones.

I think you could have argued the latter case by sending them the card they expected and then providing you paid delivery the working card could have been sent to you. The card you sent by mistake would have been extra stuff on top of what they expected.

Just make sure you close your account and shop elswhere.

I too would be keeping a record of what was said in your chats and take it to small claims court.
"We threw away a brand new working piece of kit becuase we couldt be arsed to sort out £30 delivery" is not going to go in there favour.

Soldato
I build computers as a part time job just to get some spare cash, I ordered some parts from Amazon recently for some builds and one of the graphics cards out of the two I bought didn't work. (Both gigabyte 2070s)
After posting it I realised I had sent the wrong one back, after talking to Amazon I sent the faulty one as well and thought no more of it.

Just got off chat with them and they are refusing to send back the working one and are going to bin it instead as it wasn't the correct item.
I have offered to pay postage back etc, but Amazon don't have the ability to post returns back apparently... ?

I know I cocked up and wasn't organised (they were identical cards and I just didn't mark them properly) but I just don't understand how amazon can happily bin my working card?

I asked if I could create a return for it now as they already had it but they said it wouldnt work as the product would already be disposed of by then and they wouldn't receive a return.

Is it legal for them to do this? That's a lot of money for me. Goodbye this month's mortgage payment I suppose.

Again I know it's my mistake and I am willing to pay for it. But not the cost of the entire card. Am I being unreasonable?

If you bought 2 and returned 2 then they would refund you for 2 and you can order again? Why would they say they got the wrong card, possible you also mistakenly put a different card in the box and hoped they would just refund it?

Associate
OP
If you bought 2 and returned 2 then they would refund you for 2 and you can order again? Why would they say they got the wrong card, possible you also mistakenly put a different card in the box and hoped they would just refund it?
Because I only applied for one refund. not two. Thats why they are only refunding one card, as I said i asked if I could start a second refund process so both would be refunded, but they said no.
No I didn't put the wrong card in the box on purpose. I know they check serial numbers... I dont think that would ever work. Also the picture of the graphics cards are on the boxes.

Edit: Sorry, didnt see you put the word mistakenly, oops. No I wanted to keep the working one.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Which unfortunately makes it easy to replace them in the future with advanced ai

one internal manager I spoke to said the same basically, he said it makes no sense that they are planning to bin it and he said he is going to email them and try and arrange it';s return.

Sadly everyone else I spoke to said that "amazon lacks the resources to ship returns back to people" are you ** Fully Star out all swearing serious??

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
Go to the Amazon Wearhouse and ask to speak to someone?

it's in ireland I believe or possibly north wales, I live near Oxford. bit of a trek, also i dont think they allow people to just rock up at the returns warehouse. I cant even ring the warehouse direct, even the amazon managers I spoke to dont seem to havw the ability to ring the returns warehouse direct... its weird. when I asked them if they could call they said they aren't allowed to do that and can only email. This was an internal team manager.

Soldato
one internal manager I spoke to said the same basically, he said it makes no sense that they are planning to bin it and he said he is going to email them and try and arrange it';s return.

Sadly everyone else I spoke to said that "amazon lacks the resources to ship returns back to people" are you ******* serious??

So what would they have done if it wasn't faulty? Just bin it and send another?

The difference in this situation is that the card is still yours, they can't just destroy it without either replacing it or paying for it.

Associate
OP
So what would they have done if it wasn't faulty? Just bin it and send another?

The difference in this situation is that the card is still yours, they can't just destroy it without either replacing it or paying for it.

Apparently they can, sadly it's such a big company that I wont be able to do anything about it. I literally just got off chat again, they confirmed my card is sat in the returns centre on the "sideline" as it waits there for several days to to be disposed of, been there two already though. apparently according to the return staff it's still in the box I sent it in... which has my address on it (I always put my return address" all thry have to do is send it in the post with that address red circled and I will be asked by royal mail to pay the postage. thats literally all they have to do.
They told me "we just dont do that"

It's just insanely frustrating. other manager was still trying to sort it out, but I have no contact details for him. just have to wait and hope he contacts me.

I got an email earlier saying
"we recieved the wrong item, we recieved a similar item with a different serial number to the one we were expecting, as this is not the item we were expecting you will not be recieving the refund for your item. have a good day. Amazon returns department"

I know you did... I told you!

Associate
OP
Amazon. Such a lovely company.
I had such amazing experiences with their suctomer services before this, some of them have been ******* hoffific in chat over this though, just rude and arrogant. one dude has been amazing (yet to see how amazing) but some of them have been just beyond terrible.
One even accused me of attempted fraud, but couldnt explain quite how considering I sent back two cards. he closed the chat soon ater and didnt send me the feedback thing they usually do. I got £20 promotion from him being so rude tbf.

it's been two days now though and no one can give me a straigh answer on whether it can be returned or not. only one guy saying it should be able to.

Soldato
I got an email earlier saying
"we recieved the wrong item, we recieved a similar item with a different serial number to the one we were expecting, as this is not the item we were expecting you will not be recieving the refund for your item. have a good day. Amazon returns department"

I know you did... I told you!

Fair enough, but that doesn't mean they can just destroy what is still your property. You might want it for spares, or to sell it on as broken. It might not be faulty and could work in another machine with different compatibility requirements. It's not valueless, and it still belongs to you. It's certainly worth a punt in small claims court.

I would check the CAB info on small claims court. Also check Resolver, and Money Claim Online.

Associate
Someone did something similar with a laptop battery a year ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/amazon/comments/7wrid5/returned_wrong_item_any_recourse/

Apparently it had a happy ending. Obviously your issue is with something far more high value.

I take it with retail there's no magic word like 'Ombudsman'. I remember from working in the insurance industry where if a customer utters that, you're immediately to pass on their case to the department of humans with the power to exercise common sense, as a referral to the Ombudsman would cost the company 3-4 figures no matter who the Ombudsman rules in favour of in the end IIRC.

Associate
OP
Fair enough, but that doesn't mean they can just destroy what is still your property. You might want it for spares, or to sell it on as broken. It might not be faulty and could work in another machine with different compatibility requirements. It's not valueless, and it still belongs to you. It's certainly worth a punt in small claims court.

I would check the CAB info on small claims court. Also check Resolver, and Money Claim Online.

Aparently it's in the terms and conditions (in small print) that anything you return to amazon you basically lose the rights to and amazon will not guarantee any retuen of any items.
Sadly though I have no proof I sent that card to them, in all their emails and chats they refer to it as the "wrong card" or "card with the incorrect serial number" they also said they took pictures but refused to allow me to have any for my proof they had my property. and said thet all gets disposed of as well when they dispose of the ite, basically destroying the evidence. I asked a few legal reddit subs and without proof they have my property there is nothing that can be done, and amazon know it.

Soldato
I remember I bought a £400 monitor off Amazon on a debit card from a joint account with my ex 2 years ago. Messy break up, and 6 months after the power supply goes pop. Amazon agree to refund but I make it clear it had to be Amazon gift vouchers as I was no longer on the account. What do they do? Refund to the original payment method and leave me out of pocket. Managed to get the sales directors email address and they/their office sorted it. I still have the address if you want it?

Associate
OP
I remember I bought a £400 monitor off Amazon on a debit card from a joint account with my ex 2 years ago. Messy break up, and 6 months after the power supply goes pop. Amazon agree to refund but I make it clear it had to be Amazon gift vouchers as I was no longer on the account. What do they do? Refund to the original payment method and leave me out of pocket. Managed to get the sales directors email address and they/their office sorted it. I still have the address if you want it?
Ooh yes please. Im up for emailin everyone at the moment, I know someone managed to get hold of Jeff Bezos Amazon email adress somehow on reddit before when amazon messed him around, but I have no idea how to do that lol.

Someone did something similar with a laptop battery a year ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/amazon/comments/7wrid5/returned_wrong_item_any_recourse/

Apparently it had a happy ending. Obviously your issue is with something far more high value.

I take it with retail there's no magic word like 'Ombudsman'. I remember from working in the insurance industry where if a customer utters that, you're immediately to pass on their case to the department of humans with the power to exercise common sense, as a referral to the Ombudsman would cost the company 3-4 figures no matter who the Ombudsman rules in favour of in the end IIRC.
Gives me hope. annoyingly even though its clear what card it is as it has a serial number and I sent back two of them (and they can see what I ordered) they keep calling it an unidentified card as it's not the one they were expecting. I can imagine them claimgin it's a 7850 or something and refunding me 50p and half a packet of love hearts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom