Project: Gattaca

Permabanned
This is brilliant wish i had the modding skills to do something like this.

Shame the cases go for £200 on ebay bit expensive to potentially screw up with dremels.

But ive saved the pictures and text of your build log for future reference in case i can find a cheap case, great job.

*edit* ive been looking for a few hours but i cant seem to find the lead to extend the PSU with the port you can mount on the back of the case, i dont solder so i dont trust my skills is there any readymade ones?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
This is brilliant wish i had the modding skills to do something like this.

Shame the cases go for £200 on ebay bit expensive to potentially screw up with dremels.

But ive saved the pictures and text of your build log for future reference in case i can find a cheap case, great job.

*edit* ive been looking for a few hours but i cant seem to find the lead to extend the PSU with the port you can mount on the back of the case, i dont solder so i dont trust my skills is there any readymade ones?

The power lead is a normal PC lead cut to the required length and then terminated to the chassis plug via crimped spade terminals which are very tight and will not pull off.

The chassis plug is then covered by a thick insulating rubber boot.

All the parts can be bought from good electronics shops.

Permabanned
Yeah thanks ive seen the chassis plug im just inept at soldering i didnt fancy electrifying the case and myself. Spade connectors sound good though. Would it be worth getting a fused one, it wont set on fire if something goes wrong or will the kettle lead plug and psu fuses be more than enough?

*edit* Sorry for the 20 questions, what type of spade connector should i get
n35cy_n36cy.jpg

Something like that, then a chassis plug with rubber insulation boot?

One last question, how much space is there between the fans and the case, would you say there is enough room for two 140mm fans instead of the 120s you did?

Last edited:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
hi DeadMan

great project and very nicely done.

be mindful of the forum rules, anything goes in your project log. [the log so far is fine]

please dont show osx running though and then nobody can complain :)

Associate
OP
Yeah thanks ive seen the chassis plug im just inept at soldering i didnt fancy electrifying the case and myself. Spade connectors sound good though. Would it be worth getting a fused one, it wont set on fire if something goes wrong or will the kettle lead plug and psu fuses be more than enough?

*edit* Sorry for the 20 questions, what type of spade connector should i get
n35cy_n36cy.jpg

Something like that, then a chassis plug with rubber insulation boot?

One last question, how much space is there between the fans and the case, would you say there is enough room for two 140mm fans instead of the 120s you did?

Fused or not fused its up to you really, take measuments and make sure the fused one fits before you buy it though.

Those spade connectors are perfect, just make sure they can accept 2.5mm flex.

I used 120mm fans as I wanted to be able to remove them easily for cleaning as they pop out of the antec plastic cages.

You could use 140mm fans but not with the cages.

Associate
Wow! That looks absolutely amazing! I'd love to have an Apple case like that but I know I'll be no good at doing the mods or sourcing the other bits and bobs :(

Apologies if this is considered a bump but this was linked from another thread I was reading :)

Associate
hey mate, I was wondering if I should get a second hand mac pro case like the one you have is it fairly simple to transfer the guts of an old pc into it? or is their special screws and special screwdrivers needed?

Associate
OP
Well its been almost 10 years since this mod and the image hosting company went out of business a long time ago.. so if you made it this far well done! and have some archived pictures for your trouble.

Back
Top Bottom