Would you sacrifice yourself for the nation?

Associate
OP
I'm not gonna interfere in domestic violence disputes.

Seen too many videos of some dude trying to be upstanding citizen then the woman and the dude turn around and beat the guy up.

No thanks.

Edit: And if I recall there was one video I think from Brazil (of course) where a guy outside nightclub intervened in a guy pushing his girl around. He shot the guy and walked off and the woman followed the boyfriend and didn't even check on the dude bleeding out....

Yeah. No thanks.

This I think sums it up, and is what I was thinking of at the time :cool:

Soldato
I have intervened before and ended up giving the guy a good thumping when he threw a punch at me. To be fair he did have her by the throat. I had the same many years before that when I saw a guy punch his 10 year old and ended up giving him a punch on the nose too. Both far bigger than be but a lot slower

For me it was less about the couple's domestic situation and more about me challenging what is acceptable in public, which has slipped in recent years to where people think they can act like animals in public.

I grew up in a family of boxers where it was unacceptable to shout at a woman, let alone hit one.

In relation to the thread title, It was heartbreaking to hear the interviews in Peter Jacksons WW1 interview to hear just how modest and down to earth the veterans were and how they didn't question going to war as it was for the good of Gt Britain. I don't think that would be the case today.
Yeah, that happened.:rolleyes:

Associate
OP
For me it was less about the couple's domestic situation and more about me challenging what is acceptable in public, which has slipped in recent years to where people think they can act like animals in public.

I grew up in a family of boxers where it was unacceptable to shout at a woman, let alone hit one.

Well said! You are a greater human being than myself.

Caporegime
Unless a domestic is clearly very one sided, you should just stay the **** away frankly, call the police if you feel it's not "polite".

Interfering where it is not wanted could quite literally escalate the whole thing and unless you're a psychic, you can't know the disposition of anyone to that who's currently having a visible spat. So unless you're willing to assault someone and potentially land in court, just no.

Caporegime
Police would have probably arrested the woman for trespassing on private property given what you've said. :p

Unless there is physical assault involved I'd stay out of other couples affairs, calling the police over a shouting match is just wasting their time.

Associate
OP
Apparently it's now your National duty to get involved and lay down your life in order to stop arguments.

Think of it as being an over zealous librarian. With nunchuks.

If you potentially sacrifice yourself (assuming things turn sour - some people have been killed with a single punch if the mainstream media are to be believed) for your honourable principles to better a random stranger in the society that we all live in then you will have sacrificed yourself on behalf of the national civic good. How is this different from combat defending the nation as both are tragic? :confused:

Caporegime
Saw a heavily built man and woman in a car today screaming for her to get out at the top of his lungs and revving the engine, the car was also shaking but could not see anything physical. He then jumped out and shouted some more, stared at me and walked towards me then stopped at about 5 metres. He then jumped in the car and drove off before I had time to memorise the plate fully. Reported to the police in any case.

Should I have done more to challenge him in a quiet street, and potentially risk being shanked/beaten to a pulp risking potential death by a random stranger, or in this day and age is it ok to turn down a challenge for the sake of your family and children to live another day.

What would you do in similar circumstances? Fight or flight?
Rainman - The Return shaping up nicely.

Associate
OP
I agree, death by violence is tragic no matter the circumstances but equating calming down an argument with going to war is a stretch.

In war, both sides are usually armed and trained for battle and ready to give up their life for their nation. Walking to M&S, seeking some jerk nick a mobile phone for example from a stranger and being stabbed and dying later after intervening is more tragic I feel, hence the headline.

Soldato
Yeah, that happened.:rolleyes:
And why do you think it didn’t?
Possibly so, but I simply wont do it even if they are armed.
That’s an utterly bonkers attitude to have. Nothing wrong with having a ‘don’t hit a woman mentality’ in the general sense but are you honestly trying to tell us if a woman attacked you you’d just stand there with a gormless grin on your face while she punched you?
What would you do if you saw a woman attack a man and he laid her out defending himself?

Back
Top Bottom