Fan control options

Soldato
Hi,
I'm trying to work out the best way to control fan speed on my system.

The issue i'm having is that the Corsair software is a little too aggressive at setting the fan speeds due to the quick temp changes on the 3900x, and ends up ramping up and down quite often even with a custom fan curve. In addition, even when i try to lock the RPM, it often just ignores me and locks itself at a high RPM for no apparent reason....in addition to the pumps not turning off when sleeping for some reason.

Whereas the Asus Q-Fan control is abysmal and convoluted - with the windows app for it literally not loading half the time.

Currently, i have my two AIOs (one GPU, one CPU) plugged into an internal USB hub, and the associated fans for them plugged into them.
The 3x case fans, 2x intake, 1x exhaust, are plugged into the mobo.
The case's 'fan hub' is currently doing nothing at all.

Could it be worth getting a proper fan hub and wiring everything into that maybe?

Any other trains of thought on this one?

Thanks in advance!

Soldato
To be honest, with the fluctuation of chip temperatures, I'd be tempted to look at adjusting fan speeds based on water temperature.

I appreciate two AIOs is quite a stretch away from a custom loop, but that's the mindset I have. Maybe your two pumps will respond nicely to a controller like an Aquaero?

Soldato
OP
Probably not a bad idea, just not sure what temps to look into based on the water.

What would be the advantage of the Aquaero be over another option? Looks to be expensive?

Soldato
If you want the best fan controller than the only option is aquareo 5 or 6. All 5's and all 6's are same units .. and they will do almost anything but wash case windows. All 5.25" front panel aquaero 5's have a heatsink on variable voltage fan control, but internal mount aquaero 5 does not have heatsink .. one can be added. Aquaero 6 is improved version of aquaro 5 with more PWM channels and digital variable voltage control .. so no heat is generated when fans are running at lower speeds. Aquareo 5 has only 1 pwm channel, I think aquaero 6 has 4 pwm. Best value are LT models because it does everything the 5.25" panel models do except have front panel control, and with all the things aquaero can do most all users use Aquasuite software with monitor, keyboard and mouse. Only drawback is price.
There are too many accessory sensors to list. ;)

Soldato
OP
So the concencus here is to forego a software based solutions, or USB controller solutions, like the corsair Commander, and go old school, drive bay based, control?

Last edited:
Soldato
So the concencus here is to forego a software based solutions, or USB controller solutions, like the corsair Commander, and go old school, drive bay based, control?
I don't know about others, but I don't like drive bay based .. which is why I suggested aquaero 5 or 6 LT. Same performance as face panel models, but inside of case and lower priced. I don't what to have to be changing fan speeds manually, I want automatic control based on temp of components. I have aquaro 5 LT in an older system and only complaint is not enough PWM channels. Not a big deal as the variable-voltage channels work very well. But if I was buying now, it would be aquaero 6 LT.

My other system is i7 6700 on MSI Z170M Mortar using mobo fan headers and controls with no problems. Took a few tries to get temp to rpm curves to not change fan speed unless things are heating up and need it becuase 6700 has constant temp changs, but now things stay quiet unless at 95-100% constant load.

Last edited:
Soldato
Very expensive option for what is in essence a fan controller...what does it do that others dont?
Pretty sure @EsaT has one making his morning coffee...

Joking aside though it can monitor speeds or temperatures and deliver an emergency shutdown signal, can supply a lot of extra power for fans in mixed DC and PWM formats... Can also be programmed to run automatically meaning before boot and if your OS crashes, thermal management is still in place.

Soldato
Very expensive option for what is in essence a fan controller...what does it do that others dont?
What LuckyBenski said.

Open the link to aquareo forum and read about it. OcUK doesn't have may accessories in stock. OcUK aquaero forums:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/aqua-computer-aquaero-owners-thread.18629551/
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/aquaero-5-vs-6.18819171/

AquaComputer forum thead about AquaSuite 2018 shows what it is.
https://forum.aquacomputer.de/weitere-foren/english-forum/p1432869-new-aquasuite-2018/

AquaComper aquaero 6 forum
https://forum.aquacomputer.de/weitere-foren/english-forum/103573-new-aquaero-6/

OCN aquaero forum
https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/1474470-ocn-aquaero-owners-club.html

Soldato
I have both the Aquaero 5 Pro and 6 Pro. As others have said they do everything apart from clean the dust out of the PC.
They are really intended for custom water coolers but I wanted the option to control the speed of my fans based on an external temperature sensor and these were the best at doing that. A bit pricey but I've had mine for a few years now and they still do the job brilliantly.

Soldato
Pretty sure @EsaT has one making his morning coffee...
I don't drink coffee.

But I can be sure that no software/Windows fault, or BIOS bug etc makes cooling malfunction.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?112744-Crosshair-VI-Wifi-fan-control-sensors-are-broken

In Finnish forum one user of that mobo has latest BIOS losing sensor values.
And another user of CH VII Hero has problems with radiators fans going to fult tilt while pump speed drops to zero with some recent BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom