• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3800x thread.

Associate
I've just ordered a 3800x and was wondering what coolers everyone was using?

Are most people using stock cooler?

I found the stock cooler really noisy and it didn't control the temps very well. I went with a Deepcool GamerStorm Captain 240 Pro closed-loop all-in-one liquid cooler thing. http://www.gamerstorm.com/product/CPULIQUIDCOOLER/2018-09/1286_9557.shtml

I read a bunch of reviews and while it gets beaten by some of the corsairs in raw performance, it's still a pretty solid cooler and it looks awesome with its exposed glass coolant pipe and flashy lights :)

The temp of the processor is still all over the place, but it peaks a lot lower and drops back faster now.

Associate
Thanks for the info Jimmy, I'm thinking of going back to a air cooler this time. I have been looking at a few coolers, be quite Dark Rock 4, Thermalright Macho X2. Can anyone recommend a air cooler for about £50 - £60?

Caporegime
Thanks for the info Jimmy, I'm thinking of going back to a air cooler this time. I have been looking at a few coolers, be quite Dark Rock 4, Thermalright Macho X2. Can anyone recommend a air cooler for about £50 - £60?

The Mugen 5 is good, I'm using the silent version with dual fans, chose it because it leaves the RAM unobstructed.

Associate
... youtube vid ...

Yeah, it doesn't seem like there's much going for the poor old 3800X at the moment. I wonder if/when AMD get the power profiles and speed profiles better sorted out across the range, we'll see it able to pull ahead.
But for now, despite it having the fastest single-core speed on paper, it really doesn't look like there's a lot in it.

Associate
I found the stock cooler really noisy and it didn't control the temps very well. I went with a Deepcool GamerStorm Captain 240 Pro closed-loop all-in-one liquid cooler thing. http://www.gamerstorm.com/product/CPULIQUIDCOOLER/2018-09/1286_9557.shtml

I read a bunch of reviews and while it gets beaten by some of the corsairs in raw performance, it's still a pretty solid cooler and it looks awesome with its exposed glass coolant pipe and flashy lights :)

The temp of the processor is still all over the place, but it peaks a lot lower and drops back faster now.

I developed a irrational or rational fear of using liquid coolers and got a dark rock air cooler. Had I seen this I might have been tempted, not that I have any real regrets.

Associate
I developed a irrational or rational fear of using liquid coolers and got a dark rock air cooler. Had I seen this I might have been tempted, not that I have any real regrets.

This was me talking myself down from building a custom loop.... I *just* got the AIO unit as a compromise.
Actually really glad I didn't go for a custom loop, the case I'm using is really cramped. Pretty, but really, really cramped (Raijintek Thetis)

TrM

TrM

Associate

i allways went custom loop myself and one day i woke up to a blue pudle on the floor from a my rad leaking lucjky it was at the front of the case not over the pc at top of case.

i repalced the rad and carried on using it with my old system but ive upgraded this year to 3900x and 2080ti and asus c8h motherboard i got all my stuff reready to build the pc and couldnt bring myself to use a custom loop on my new pc water over gpu or even blowing the mobo etc is to much of a risk. i have a fairly well paying job but risking a leak on my pc parts now is just to expensive to replace. And now i cant even bring myself to use a aio for the same reasons hehe

Associate
Yeah, it doesn't seem like there's much going for the poor old 3800X at the moment. I wonder if/when AMD get the power profiles and speed profiles better sorted out across the range, we'll see it able to pull ahead.
But for now, despite it having the fastest single-core speed on paper, it really doesn't look like there's a lot in it.

Still monitoring this situation myself. If I had to buy today, it would be the 3700X hands down. But I have no time to even use my rig at the moment let alone upgrade it, so I'm keeping a close eye on things to see how it pans out. If it turns out the 3800X actually starts to justify the additional cost then I'll go for that one. Hoping to upgrade towards the end of the year which fingers crossed mean we might see some deals by then.

Soldato

the only good thing is its the highest binned Zen2 chip after the 3950 and 3900 cores are assigned. But with overclocking so limited it doesn't really matter anymore.

TrM

TrM

Associate
the only good thing is its the highest binned Zen2 chip after the 3950 and 3900 cores are assigned. But with overclocking so limited it doesn't really matter anymore.

The 3900x is 2 x 3600 doesn’t have anything to do with the 3800x or 3700x.
The 3950x will use 2 x 8 core chiplets and I’m sure the best will go in those.

But the 3900x if it was binned dies would take the best Ryzen 5 chiplets due to it being 2 x6 cores. Although before launch I did think it would be a 8 and 4 core though hehe to me that made more sense for some unknown reason

Associate
The 3900x is 2 x 3600 doesn’t have anything to do with the 3800x or 3700x.
The 3950x will use 2 x 8 core chiplets and I’m sure the best will go in those.

But the 3900x if it was binned dies would take the best Ryzen 5 chiplets due to it being 2 x6 cores. Although before launch I did think it would be a 8 and 4 core though hehe to me that made more sense for some unknown reason

I would think that a lot of the chiplets going in to the 3900x are fully working 8 core chiplets with 2 cores didabled.

TrM

TrM

Associate
I would think that a lot of the chiplets going in to the 3900x are fully working 8 core chiplets with 2 cores didabled.

I think your properly right tbh it’s also part the reason I didn’t go for a 3600 for my media machine at home I’m always worried that amd would use a faulty 8 core die and block 2 cores.

Back
Top Bottom