Would you sacrifice yourself for the nation?

Associate
OP
Where does the nation come into this scenario exactly?

Do you not live in the UK?

Are you not part of a collective society?

Have you never interacted with any one of us since your birth? :confused:

Would you not lay down your life to better the nation either financially or otherwise?

Man of Honour
Saw a heavily built man and woman in a car today screaming for her to get out at the top of his lungs and revving the engine, the car was also shaking but could not see anything physical. He then jumped out and shouted some more, stared at me and walked towards me then stopped at about 5 metres. He then jumped in the car and drove off before I had time to memorise the plate fully. Reported to the police in any case.

Should I have done more to challenge him in a quiet street, and potentially risk being shanked/beaten to a pulp risking potential death by a random stranger, or in this day and age is it ok to turn down a challenge for the sake of your family and children to live another day.

What would you do in similar circumstances? Fight or flight?

Please God that I’m never in the situation that you describe, but in answer to
the thread title, as a patriot, I probably would, but it wouldn’t be the U.K.

Associate
OP
Please God that I’m never in the situation that you describe, but in answer to
the thread title, as a patriot, I probably would, but it wouldn’t be the U.K.

Why not the UK, am I to take it we are not your fellow compatriots and would not do the same for you sir? :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
*sigh*

The majority of the work most response officers will deal with are domestic related, especially where I am and the policies my force has regarding dealing with them. Many of them are reports similar to what the OP has described.

We deal with lots of non-crime domestics, often they are innocent enough where there's been an arguments. Many of the people I see have dysfunctional relationships, aren't particularly emotionally mature and are poor at communicating. These are often written up and filed with no further action. They often feel like a waste of my colleagues and my time. Occasionally, reports (like the OPs) are the first contact someone has where the police make an intervention to stop severe domestic abuse. Remember, DA doesn't need to be violent, there are people (vast majority are women) who live lives constantly in fear of violence but aren't actually the victim of it themselves. They may see someone else being attacked and the threats are made clear about what may happen to them if they are to "break the rules".

Take the example below:
p.jpeg

This is a photo taken from the house of a victim of domestic abuse. They were never directly the victim of violence. Police had contact previously and the victim had strenuously denied that anything was wrong. The cards on the stairs, punctured with knives are contact cards for domestic abuse charities. The threat is clear. They had been living a life out of a horror film for years, but to outsiders, they would look exactly as the OP may have seen. Domestic abuse is far more that the stereotypical wife beater who knocks around their partner after a Stella or two. It's about power and controlling behaviour and this is often far from obvious.

Look, I get your point, the majority of couples who are seen arguing in public are not the victims or perpetrators of domestic abuse. DA does happen in all sorts of relationships, gay, hetrosexual; both men and women can be victims. Dealing with these jobs does tie up a lot of police resources.

However, fairly innocuous calls to the police have saved lives. This is not hyperbole, this is not an exaggeration, it's simply a fact. Whilst it would be great that the police only get called for the serious cases, you can't differentiate from only the behaviour you see. It often takes a lot of work to get a proper disclosure from people who are incredibly frightened and that's what the police are there to do. So in the serious cases, it is often that person who you would consider sexist and melodramatic to make the difference.
This is a fantastic post, DA is well misunderstood and people often think unless the victim has two black eyes then it’s not domestic abuse.

Good post Burnsy!

Soldato
No. Alas, there is no training for this for the common man, but common sense does come into play.. you can shout and use distractions, possibly even try to trip them up and pin their arm down until formal help arrives.
There’s plenty of avenues for training for the ‘common man’
What distractions do you suggest? Shouting will most likely only focus their attention. Tripping, without doing it correctly rarely works unless you’re exceptionally lucky. As for pinning someone’s arm, what do you think they’ll be trying to do while your doing that?

Man of Honour
Why not the UK, am I to take it we are not your fellow compatriots and would not do the same for you sir? :confused:

I am your compatriot by virtue of the fact that I was born here, and am eternally grateful that I live here, but that’s about it for me with U.K..
I feel more closely aligned with my French ancestors, and French family members, and feel tremendous pride on Juillet Quatorze, (Bastille Day).
I try to be in France for July 14th, and freely, proudly even, admit to tears as the bands strike up “La Marseillaise.”

Soldato
Do you not live in the UK?

Are you not part of a collective society?

Have you never interacted with any one of us since your birth? :confused:

Would you not lay down your life to better the nation either financially or otherwise?

Um..

We are talking about an arguement/aggression between two people, I don't see that anywhere in this scenario the "nation" is at risk.
I also don't see how I would be "laying down my life"

This whole thread is weird.

Caporegime
Helping someone random is society albeit with risk is what it is. Would you thank me or attend my funeral if I got shanked and maybe died?

Whether or not I'd go to your funeral doesn't answer the question:

What does that have to do with the situation in the OP?

How would you be laying your life down to benefit the nation financially - are you currently a massive drain on resources?

It seems like a bit of a stretch to suggest you were laying your life down in the first place in that situation. The thread title seems to imply something related to the military, not some random brief confrontation in the street.

Back
Top Bottom