Shell to re-launch V-Power imminently

Soldato
I was filling up V-Power in my M135i @ 129.99, but recently tried a tank of M99 @ 119.99. Power delivery and economy feels the same, but it was significantly cheaper!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Anyone paying using Android Pay via the Shell app noticed it lops off £80 (or whatever you have set in the app as the limit) as a "hold" until it fully clears a few days later? I checked the details and noticed in Android Pay it lists "gas stations" as one of the merchants that take $75 USD as holding, then once the pending transaction clears, will update to reflect the actual amount. Means you have to wait a few days for it all to clear before checking statements and stuff, slightly annoying so I switched back to paying via PayPal which takes the exact amount off the same card.

Shame because I really liked how much faster Android Pay authorised in the Shell app, it was pretty much twice as fast. Sitting there with the spinning "authorising payment" screen does get a bit tedious.

Edit*

Maybe I'm being dumb, just checked again in the Shell app, and this is what it says:

rps20171017_222803_873.jpg

So obviously paying via Android Pay follows that routine. But when paying via PayPal, it doesn't take that holding amount, it takes the exact amount.

Meh, I'll just flick it back to Android Pay then lol.

Soldato
Anyone paying using Android Pay via the Shell app noticed it lops off £80 (or whatever you have set in the app as the limit) as a "hold" until it fully clears a few days later? I checked the details and noticed in Android Pay it lists "gas stations" as one of the merchants that take $75 USD as holding, then once the pending transaction clears, will update to reflect the actual amount. Means you have to wait a few days for it all to clear before checking statements and stuff, slightly annoying so I switched back to paying via PayPal which takes the exact amount off the same card.

Shame because I really liked how much faster Android Pay authorised in the Shell app, it was pretty much twice as fast. Sitting there with the spinning "authorising payment" screen does get a bit tedious.

Edit*

Maybe I'm being dumb, just checked again in the Shell app, and this is what it says:

rps20171017_222803_873.jpg

So obviously paying via Android Pay follows that routine. But when paying via PayPal, it doesn't take that holding amount, it takes the exact amount.

Meh, I'll just flick it back to Android Pay then lol.
I thought that has always been the case no matter how you pay and is why I've never bothered to use it. My average fill in the company wagon is about £80 yet if I'm out in the wifes car it is likely to be about £35. I'm bound to forget to swap it so I'll either end up with half a tank in the Passat or have £45 on hold.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It doesn't really "matter", but it's just a minor annoyance, since paying with the exact same card through PayPal instead doesn't have the hold amount, it takes the exact amount and is reflected as such in the statement right away. Otherwise it takes several days to reflect the correct amount once the hold/pending transaction has gone through.

It should be consistent, no matter what medium you use to pay with the same payment card.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
What?

It's not money coming out of your account, it's the CC company's money, so doesn't matter anyway. Like I said, just a matter of principle. It should be consistent no matter how you pay.

Soldato
Since when did V-Power have ethanol in it?

Not filled up in a couple months and realise that the pumps now have an E5 on them! I was always under the impression V-Power was the only fuel super unleaded without ethanol?

Soldato
Since when did V-Power have ethanol in it?

Not filled up in a couple months and realise that the pumps now have an E5 on them! I was always under the impression V-Power was the only fuel super unleaded without ethanol?

Due to EU regulations there is a minimum amount fuel must contain.

Soldato
OP
Due to EU regulations there is a minimum amount fuel must contain.

Not quite. Fuel suppliers must have a target percentage of their overall energy supply for biofuels/renewables, so some offset this in other ways. Last I checked BP Ultimate is ethanol free, except in the South West. Unlike other fuels, which use alcohols to raise octane, BP Ultimate is refined solely from oil to petrol at 98 RON (sold as 97 RON by the time it hits the pumps). That's supposedly one of the reasons it's more expensive than other brands.

Other than that fuels do all contain 5% ethanol/biodiesel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom