• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
In all your opinion, Is the 3600X a better bet for a casual gamer over the 8 core 3700X/3800X? I know the PS5 and X-Box will be going the 8 core route.

Based off of purely benchmarks yes.

As for what will happen to the market when the next gen consoles release hard to tell.

Doubt games will go from excellent performance to unplayable overnight tho.

And I think the consensus is 3600 rather than 3600x. But someone else can confirm this.

Soldato
Based off of purely benchmarks yes.

As for what will happen to the market when the next gen consoles release hard to tell.

Doubt games will go from excellent performance to unplayable overnight tho.

And I think the consensus is 3600 rather than 3600x. But someone else can confirm this.

My plan was to get a good X570 board so that a few years down the line, I can drop in possibly a 12 core 4xxx chip once they drop in price and assuming they stay AM4 socket.

Associate
I've just been watching some reviews on youtube and pretty stated don't spend the extra on the 3600X.
3600X boosts higher. It can reach 4.4GHz, and in some games beats 3700X and 3900X. I think it is a better choise for gaming.

Edit: If PBO worked as advertised, 3600 would be better

Associate
If 3900X was better available, would have gone for that ages ago.
Now I am in "waiting for 3950x" mode. Curiously no leaks about it, while even the new threadripper has a benchmark leaked.

Associate
Luckily I got my 3900x a couple weeks ago but I was tempted to wait for the 3950x. After some thought spending that kind of money on a cpu that will never even be utilised made me wait for the 3900x. £500 is my limit for a cpu these days.

Soldato
Luckily I got my 3900x a couple weeks ago but I was tempted to wait for the 3950x. After some thought spending that kind of money on a cpu that will never even be utilised made me wait for the 3900x. £500 is my limit for a cpu these days.
Yes, they are several people that I've seen in your situation. They will rarely use the extra power of the 3900X let alone the 3950X but because it is seen as 'the best' then they'll get it.

I was lucky like you to pick up my 3900X a few weeks ago for £474 before the price hikes. I also considered the 3950X though the computer it would be in is solely for video work so it would be getting a full workout. That being said the 3900X still does an amazing job and for less than £500 in my workflow it's a comparative steal.

Associate
turning off SMT on the 3800x and overclocking to 4.5GHz. Someone told me if you get 4.5Ghz it will equal a 9700k @5GHz
In what exactly?
In most benchmarks it already beats 9700k. I assume you mean games? Then even on 3900x turning off SMT was not a universal positive, in several games it actually lowered the min FPS in gamersnexus review.

Associate
Found myself getting quite lost when reading around enthusiast forums. A lot of people are recently seeming quite unhappy with the new chips. I understand that 2months into the release, having unfinished BIOS's would be annoying. What I want to know is if the annoyance is down to purely enthusiasts being unhappy that they can't push good overclocks. For someone who just wants to not mess around too much (basically hit 3600 RAM and IF), are the chips still a good buy?

I've waited a long time before I decide to buy and even with the reported issues in the last few pages, a 3600 into my x370 Taichi still seems like a good option for me. If anyone is willing, could you list a few basic pointers of what do to set things up and get a smooth transition to the 3000 series (which BIOS, any mandatory BIOS settings to change, etc)

Associate
Found myself getting quite lost when reading around enthusiast forums. A lot of people are recently seeming quite unhappy with the new chips. I understand that 2months into the release, having unfinished BIOS's would be annoying. What I want to know is if the annoyance is down to purely enthusiasts being unhappy that they can't push good overclocks. For someone who just wants to not mess around too much (basically hit 3600 RAM and IF), are the chips still a good buy?

I've waited a long time before I decide to buy and even with the reported issues in the last few pages, a 3600 into my x370 Taichi still seems like a good option for me. If anyone is willing, could you list a few basic pointers of what do to set things up and get a smooth transition to the 3000 series (which BIOS, any mandatory BIOS settings to change, etc)

Absolutely. They are great value. For your needs and mine (place chip in board, not worry about voltage hitting 1.49v and just using the chips) they are fantastic. I have been using my 3700x on an Asus x470 board and its been brilliant. tested many of the latest games (currently working through kingdom come, revenant, Apex legends and BF5)

Unsure how well your board supports the new chips but assuming it does a half decent job then defo get a 3600 or even a 3700

ljt

ljt

Soldato

Pretty much me but with a 3700x rather than 3600. The latest BIOS (5.80) is stable enough so far for me. Just make sure you follow the instructions for updating the bios using the bridge BIOS's etc on the BIOS support page before putting the new CPU in. I have CPU set at defaults, no PBO etc. Always reset the BIOS defaults both before and after a BIOS update as well.

The only thing I've touched is the RAM, mine is 3200Mhz CL16 B-die, which I have running at 3600Mhz cl16.

Soldato
Happy with my 3700X so far, does everything easily. My PC feels very snappy and smooth. I think of anything is the motherboard manufacturers playing catch up. I expected it would take a little while with a new architecture, hence I'm not tinkering much for now. I'll have more of a play with things when it all settles down. For now, letting it do its thing is working well.

Back
Top Bottom