Road Cycling

Soldato
Watched a video on the Varia last night, does look very clever, think I might have to get one too :)

I notice it mainly seems to be called a RTL510, but there is also a 511? Is this a newer version?

Looks like Halfords are the cheapest place for the RTL510 at £139?
Don't forget BC discount!

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/web...UID-BB0E27F4-7A06-4E56-AD9E-AFBA8EEE37FB.html

Reading this, the 511 is solid light only, no flash and 'doesn't detect vehicles in standby mode' (although not sure the 510 does either, as doesn't make sense!).

Comment on DCR hints the same. The 511 being a 'German version', not as bright at 7lm (vs 20 lm). Might be something to do with their lighting regs (they have them for bike lights, the rest of the world generally don't), so the flashing & brighter 510 isn't available/lawful to use.

Lots of good info, links and comments on the DCR thread about people's experiences and mounting positions. Reading all that I'm a convert and really considering one. I'd pop it on the Chariot for commuting, it'll be on solid and flash for overtaking cars when my other half uses it as a 'smart' light (she has no head unit, but could get the standalone alert if she wants radar). Then using quarter turn mount easily grab it for myself for use without chariot on the weekends with my ELEMNT. One for the Christmas list! ;) :cool:

Just for completeness (and not sure how I missed it): Wahoo CEO announced the Varia integration back in May on DCR's comment section along with a bunch of other stuff: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/05...ling-gps-in-depth-review.html#comment-3199040

Last edited:
Soldato
Numbers from my 4iiii 105 5800 bought April 2018 have been very consistent, besides when the cr2032 battery was about to die, they typically last me at least six months.

The 4iiii road PMs all fit Hollowtech 2 BBs, barely any difference between models in terms of design/weight, but often a big difference in price. The 105 has been as cheap as £199 at Probikekit this year.

Soldato
Oh yes, thanks, I always forget that! How does it work if you're using Click and Collect? I assume I still just show my card and voucher when I come to pay?
Yeah as certainly in my Halfords even with Click & Collect you're paying at the normal till, the same as if you'd just walked in and picked something up.

The 105 has been as cheap as £199 at Probikekit this year.
Yup, was 240 a couple of weeks ago and now 260. It's going the wrong way lol

Soldato
Watched a video on the Varia last night, does look very clever, think I might have to get one too :)

I notice it mainly seems to be called a RTL510, but there is also a 511? Is this a newer version?

Looks like Halfords are the cheapest place for the RTL510 at £139?

German version - they don’t allow flashing rear lights and front lights have regs too.

Send it back!

I have it on a Paypal deal and I’m probably slightly overpaying for it so while tempted to do that overall the deal works for me - let @Roady have it!

Man of Honour
First day out on my recently acquired Cervelo P2 and that thing is lovely to ride!

The difference between that and my former Merida Warp 4 is really significant. Whilst the position needs tweaking, the bike feels lighter, more responsive, stiffer (it is showing up problems with my pedal stroke), whilst seeming to be more slippery through the air...

Very happy!

Soldato
Roady
Will give you a shout/mail later to discuss
No probs, Trust/Email is best. I'm on&off here frequently throughout the day, but less active in the evenings. Will try and check my mail a bit more frequently this evening!

My little guy this morning had us in stitches. He's starting stringing words and phrases together but not really that many complete sentences (that make sense) from him. I was a few minutes later getting ready than usual so he was all ready to go (I'm normally out the door before he's ready). So he's at the door and shouts "Daddy, c'mon, Bikes!" (3 related words, woohoo), I holla back saying "Harry ready for his bike?", he'd normally not reply having being distracted by dog/car/banging on door/anything but today I got "Harry bike, Harry bike, HARRY BIKE! DADDY C'MON BIKES!". Brilliant! So so patient, think he gets that from his mother! :rolleyes:

He loves his bike (chariot) so much, if we go to the garage for any reason he'll go and start dragging it out by the hitch. When we get home from Nursery with it and I'm unlocking the garage, he'll drag the chariot to the door (so I have to get my bike in first quick!)... Can't wait for him to get his balance bike next month for his 2nd Birthday! :D

Soldato
The Varia says it needs 15cm from the rear wheel, which means my saddle bag wont fit anymore...

View attachment MnNVEGs.jpg

Any ideas to what I can do? Something thin enough to fit in that gap, or different storage. (for inner tube, tool and kit). I guess I could get a small bag for it all, that then goes in my jersey pocket? I prefer things strapped to the bike than on me though tbh.

**EDIT** Maybe something like this?

Last edited:
Soldato
The Varia says it needs 15cm from the rear wheel, which means my saddle bag wont fit anymore...

View attachment MnNVEGs.jpg

Any ideas to what I can do? Something thin enough to fit in that gap, or different storage. (for inner tube, tool and kit). I guess I could get a small bag for it all, that then goes in my jersey pocket? I prefer things strapped to the bike than on me though tbh.

**EDIT** Maybe something like this?

Looks like loads more than 15cm clearance there? Mine is fine with saddlebag attached but it’s a giant one on proprietary connector, fairly small so maybe doesn’t hang as low.

If it can fit in a jersey pocket then do that, looks loads better and if saddlebag has straps they are bib short killers - lost a couple of pairs before I realised what was happening :( I only put a saddle bag on for the 100 miles I did, don’t need it but not bothered to take it off!

Soldato
Random question... Are you, or do you know, a fast cyclist? If so, are they quick walking down stairs?! (told you it was random).

There's a couple of guys at work that absolutely fly down the stairs and they both happen to be keen cyclists. I've never been overtaken on stairs before but these two minced me!

Back
Top Bottom