Think Im buying stuff just for the sake of it now, bit worried I have a problem (genuine)

Soldato
Yep. Been some amazing support and advice on here, and also been some right judgemental d*cks. I said several times money wasn't the issue. it was more the mindset im in that I dont want to getr worse.
Im nearly the same about buying stuff I dont even need and like you I have the money to afford it but I still feel guilty when it comes. As you say it almost feels like an addiction. I have so much stuff still in boxes and everytime I look at them I feel slightly guilty. Not about spending the money but what seems like the sheer waste.

I have so much fitness/excercise equipment just sitting there waiting for me to get the next bit of equipment. I bought a fairly expensive punch bag that I cant even be bothered to put up on the expensive bracket I bought for it that I also havent bothered to put up and just use the old stuff Ive had for years. But least Ive stopped looking at and researching them now. That is also my addiction researching stuff I dont even need.

So yeah cant help you either Im afraid.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Im nearly the same about buying stuff I dont even need and like you I have the money to afford it but I still feel guilty when it comes. As you say it almost feels like an addiction. I have so much stuff still in boxes and everytime I look at them I feel slightly guilty. Not about spending the money but what seems like the sheer waste.

I have so much fitness/excercise equipment just sitting there waiting for me to get the next bit of equipment. I bought a fairly expensive punch bag that I cant even be bothered to put up on the expensive bracket I bought for it that I also havent bothered to put up and just use the old stuff Ive had for years. But least Ive stopped looking at and researching them now. That is also my addiction researching stuff I dont even need.

So yeah cant help you either Im afraid.
Least I know i'm not the only one lol.

Soldato
I had tried to RMA that card, Gigabyte said no and that it was within norms to have 88c and throttling without overclocking. Had endless issues with that card. so yes, that one was neccessary. I wouldnt have gotten a 2070 super if that card was working ok, as i'm only getting a few FPS more. not really much of an upgrade.

Fair play, I didn't see that part.

My wife pounds my credit card regular style for all sorts of nonsense items, so you carry on and enjoy your sexual equality. And looking after kids is no easy job; ditch the guilt, you deserve your little trinkets.

Associate
OP
Fair play, I didn't see that part.

My wife pounds my credit card regular style for all sorts of nonsense items, so you carry on and enjoy your sexual equality. And looking after kids is no easy job; ditch the guilt, you deserve your little trinkets.
Yeah Gigabyte really annoyed me. I tried again recently as people on here had suggested I do it and they said yes at first, but then said no again and that I needed to go through amazon. Tried Amazon and they have arranged a refund on the card for me despite it being out of their warranty as I explained it all to them, they did the same thing on an Asus Motherboard after 5 years before (it had a 5 year warranty and Asus refused to RMA it as they claimed it was amazons problem, same as gigabyte are doing) , not sure how it works with amazon as normally they refuse after a year. Seems to be inconsistent... but Im not complaining.
I had just put it on ebay as well (thank god no one had bid) so I now have a 2070 super and even have a bit of money on top from the refund. more money for useless tat I dont need, woop.

Might buy a foot massager to celebrate.

Ive got to say sometimes I actually envy people that buy stuff and get excited about it.
I get well excited for any parcels. im easily pleased.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I used to spend an awful lot online. I cut this down to literally nothing.

Ask yourself “do I need this?” If the answer is no, don’t buy it. In your case, consider need as ; will I be able to use / do this thing without the purchase.

Soldato
I used to upgrade something on my computer every 1-2 years and buy a new game every couple weeks. Then I got a partner and moved out toether, now I can't afford it at all hence I'm still on a 6700k and a 1080, i should be on a 3900x and 2080ti now haha. But what it has made me do is window shop slot more and read reviews and made me realise that jumps in performance has been tiny.

Soldato
I used to upgrade something on my computer every 1-2 years and buy a new game every couple weeks. Then I got a partner and moved out toether, now I can't afford it at all hence I'm still on a 6700k and a 1080, i should be on a 3900x and 2080ti now haha. But what it has made me do is window shop slot more and read reviews and made me realise that jumps in performance has been tiny.
Yeah you wont be saying that **** once you are single again. We've all be there. (Under the thumb).

Caporegime
Yep. Been some amazing support and advice on here, and also been some right judgemental d*cks. I said several times money wasn't the issue. it was more the mindset im in that I dont want to getr worse.

I can recommend matched betting as a bit of a hobby. It’s genuinely quite fun and you make some pocket money too. Ignore those usual prats judging you :)

(I’ve gotta admit though, the irony of posting on this exact board about your perceived problem isn’t lost on me :D)

You coming online tonight?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I can empathise. I had a similar issue with going through phases of obsessively buying new clothes, PC parts and then “collecting” Blu Rays, sci-fi junk and then old games. It was really just about the small buzz from getting something new to open. I was definitely bored and depressed at the time.

I found exploring minimalism quite helpful - there are some good YouTube channels like The Minimalists, Matt D’avella and Break The Twitch that often talk about compulsive consumerism. I’ve since refocused my life and spend more time doing things I enjoy rather than spending my existence trapped in office and spending as an escape. Perhaps not such an easy solution when you have children to look after but maybe something to explore.

Caporegime
As above, stuff like this is a form of escaping something you don’t like about your life currently. I got stuck in it for a while and it took a ridiculous purchase that I stopped using within weeks for me to finally see sense and take a look at myself, rather than at what external things could “help” me feel better.

Back
Top Bottom