Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Out for a 4 mile run today after the 9 yesterday my legs were to tired dont get how people can run everyday im clearly someone who requires rest inbetween.

Maybe it's because you ran 9 miles the day before? I'm sure I'd need rest if I did that. I have found that the more I go running, the less tired my legs seem to become after each run.

I haven't gone out since Tuesday though. I had a great 5.2 miles on Tuesday but then I ended up walking something like 7 miles later on. I felt my shins hurting from that the next day but I still couldn't rest. Since Tuesday I've walked a minimum of 6 miles each day, sometimes more!

I'm going to try get out tomorrow for a run but this walking distance will continue everyday until atleast Friday next week.

Underboss
so going back to my posts

im in a bit of a dilemma

on one hand, my step Dad says running is the worst thing you can do for your back (hes always got good advice and is a professional coach , so been in the sport field for many many years, so he knows what hes talking about)

on the other hand, when im running i feel good, i dont feel any pain in my back or hip, but it could be damaging over time...

What yours advice ?

stop running and do planks. stretches etc for a few months daily ?

Soldato
Yes, i think they always advise against a lot of the usual "lower back" exercises. Perhaps there's something more specific for degenerated discs. My wife has that as well so i know how debilitating it can be, she had a steroid injection which seemed to help but i imagine yours isn't quite there yet if you're able to run/do stuff.

It's odd that it doesn't hurt during running. I would've thought that would be quite jarring for you.

Out of interest what's the reason you're unable to cycle? Is it the position you sit in and your back issue?

Ultimately i think it just needs a chat with your doctor/physio as to what would be best. It's a very crappy situation though :(

Underboss
My physio advised me to do planks actually

I stopped cycling becuase if I sit on the bike for 10 mins my back seizes up lol

Although I went to Wales with my dad last year and rode on bikes (mountain bikes) and I was ok then

I got no place to keep a bike at home at present, otherwise I'd get a cheap mountain bike and try it

I had an injection to in my joint buy that done nothing

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Lanzarote is highly rated in the Tri community, roads are good and some nice trials.

Was looking at a week myself next year possibly one of the many training holidays they run. But at my age it`s bound to be full of fit somethings with zero injurys :)

Soldato
Spectacularly failed my August distance target, few too many alcohol fueled weekends just completely knocked me off stride with the longer recovery time combined with the heat.

Got out last night for the first time since last Monday! I've been struggling to wake up in the mornings recently and had a few aches which don't seem to go until i'm up and moving around, and given morning runs make up 80% of my running that's caused issues. Hopefully having got last night out the way i can push on from that.

Stupidly also eyeing up the Manchester marathon. I think with proper training i can definitely hit sub 4 and could do with signing up for something to keep motivation. Maybe i'll see how i get on with the London ballot.

Associate
After 2 years with the forerunner 935 I've decided to pay the extra for a 945. The maps, music and enhanced pacing and physiological tools swung it for me. If its as good as the 935 it will be money well spent.

Back to 50 miles last week and feeling good.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I miss running every day, stopped the run commute as I moved out from my Mrs temporarily due to issues and she lives 20 mins run from work, so been trying to do more intense hill running here and there but not running enough. Motivation is more difficult when it's not my commute it seems. Some killer hills near me though. My diet has also gone to pot.

Will need to sort it out though as I have just accepted a place on Lakeland 50, 26th July next year. Plenty of time to train. Also fancy booking Manchester marathon for next year. They keep emailing me with a guaranteed place so might go for it before the price goes up. Expensive these events!

Soldato
I miss running every day, stopped the run commute as I moved out from my Mrs temporarily due to issues and she lives 20 mins run from work, so been trying to do more intense hill running here and there but not running enough. Motivation is more difficult when it's not my commute it seems. Some killer hills near me though. My diet has also gone to pot.

Will need to sort it out though as I have just accepted a place on Lakeland 50, 26th July next year. Plenty of time to train. Also fancy booking Manchester marathon for next year. They keep emailing me with a guaranteed place so might go for it before the price goes up. Expensive these events!

Yeah saw that one yesterday, 500ft of climb in the first mile seems unpleasant.

Hope things work out with the Mrs :)

I've been eyeing up some of the smaller races in the Lakes organised by these guys

https://www.ascendevents.co.uk/heversham-hobble/

It's the self navigation i don't fancy!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Just get the GPX file.

I have never done anything like that before, bit like posh orientating i guess. If it was closer to home i would have a go at it.

Associate
Knee is finally showing signs of change. if it isnt 100% right be October then they physio suggests getting an MRI!

I have cancelled the Chester Marathon and pretty much written off the rest of this year in an attempt to get things sorted properly. Will be like starting again in the new year!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Yeah saw that one yesterday, 500ft of climb in the first mile seems unpleasant.

Hope things work out with the Mrs :)

I've been eyeing up some of the smaller races in the Lakes organised by these guys

https://www.ascendevents.co.uk/heversham-hobble/

It's the self navigation i don't fancy!

It's a nice climb not too bad for a dinner break quickie. Plus I get to run down it haha.

They will, just needed a step back.

Hah, the navigation is the fun part and a part of the challenge. Look like fun little events actually.

Soldato
Hah, the navigation is the fun part and a part of the challenge. Look like fun little events actually.

Yeah but you go proper hiking so do that anyway. I'd end up on one of those Mountain Rescue TV shows!

I got out this morning, had bought some new wireless earphones that don't have a connecting cable (bit like the Apple Airpods....but cheaper). Not sure they're great for running. Each one fell out twice.

Plus i dropped the case and it's all battered!

Soldato
Knee is finally showing signs of change. if it isnt 100% right be October then they physio suggests getting an MRI!

I have cancelled the Chester Marathon and pretty much written off the rest of this year in an attempt to get things sorted properly. Will be like starting again in the new year!

Hope you get better soon man it mighty depressing having to have time out.

I tried a new strategy today to try and combat my right leg issues in warming up with a 2.5 mile run before at a much slower pace.

Benefits was there did not seem to be no problem with my right leg after this but the negative was I set out today for half marathon but my endurance seems to have crumbled I used to be able to run half marathons with ease I run 2 within 3 days in my schedule few months ago. My legs seemed to give way in the end had to call it a day at 8.3 miles and just jogged and walked home overall frustrating I dont seem to have the distance in my legs currently.

Good news is I set a new 5k pb of 25:44 although unfortunately didnt quite change 10k overall the route today mega hills though so it was tough they are my nemesis.

Soldato
Well very pleased today beat my half marathon time and set a new PB of 1:57:22 \o/ :cool: (finally got it under two hours)

Unfortunately I hit some foot traffic due to a classic car show very arrogant people wont move out the way even though you can see me coming for 300-400 metres.

Love these bad boys though so comfortable and when up to speed they are really good

aaaasu19_rn_zoom_next_angle5_rectangle_1600.jpg

Back
Top Bottom