NYC Street

Soldato
Number 10. Had you done a 180. Would that have been the Flatiron building..

I love NYC. Dont think I'm going to get to go next year.. 1st time I'm missing my yearly NYC holiday in ages

Soldato
I went last year on the July 4th celebrations, was brilliant, going again this November, going to be staying in Brooklyn this time visiting family. Love NYC, the only area I dislike is midtown, where Times Square is, I try to avoid that area when walking.

Soldato
Those are very good indeed!

Are New Yorkers so used to camera that you can just snap them going about their business without any objections or do you employ a low-profile technique to get these captures?

If I had the money, it would go on a Panasonic GX8 with the tilt rear LCD to mate with my PanaLeica 15mm f1.7 to try my hand at street photography.

Caporegime
OP
Those are very good indeed!

Are New Yorkers so used to camera that you can just snap them going about their business without any objections or do you employ a low-profile technique to get these captures?

If I had the money, it would go on a Panasonic GX8 with the tilt rear LCD to mate with my PanaLeica 15mm f1.7 to try my hand at street photography.

I was going to wait a bit longer to see if people notice.

1 - There is no DoF to the photos
2 - It is taken at stomach height in a lot of them
3 - It is an ultra-wide

I took all those with a DJI Pocket, using a time lapse feature. What it does is it takes a photo every X second and stitch them together to make a .MOV file for a time lapse but you also get a folder with all the JPEG images. So I cheated, the camera just keep taking photos as I walk through NYC.

Soldato
Ah, I feel that I’ve failed a Photography 101 spot quiz by not clocking that everyone and everything stationary or moving slowly is in perfect focus from foreground to far, far away.

Very sneaky indeed to use a DJ1 Pocket like that as most people probably thought it was a vape device!

Caporegime
OP
Ah, I feel that I’ve failed a Photography 101 spot quiz by not clocking that everyone and everything stationary or moving slowly is in perfect focus from foreground to far, far away.

Very sneaky indeed to use a DJ1 Pocket like that as most people probably thought it was a vape device!

I feel like I can't take credit for these as it is essentially a machine gun approach. All I did was point it and hope for the best essentially.

Soldato
You’ll never become a professional photographer with that humble attitude, young man!

Repeat after me: “Every great photo I take is entirely down to my skill and every bad one is down to equipment issues/bad light/bad subjects.”

Soldato
I went last year on the July 4th celebrations, was brilliant, going again this November, going to be staying in Brooklyn this time visiting family. Love NYC, the only area I dislike is midtown, where Times Square is, I try to avoid that area when walking.

Last easter we went for a week and had 2 days in washington. Washington is really nice and a much much much slower pace. We stayed next door but one to the whitehouse.....

We made the mistake of staying in the same hotel for 3 years running now. We should have stayed in Brooklyn. Spent a day at coney island which was a nice mistake as we got on the wrong train and thought ah buggar it might as well stay on..lol

Soldato
Last easter we went for a week and had 2 days in washington. Washington is really nice and a much much much slower pace. We stayed next door but one to the whitehouse.....

We made the mistake of staying in the same hotel for 3 years running now. We should have stayed in Brooklyn. Spent a day at coney island which was a nice mistake as we got on the wrong train and thought ah buggar it might as well stay on..lol

Cool, I went to Coney Island as well a few years back, was a weekday and the theme park was closed unfortunately, but it was nice to walk along the sea front, went in the sea life centre which was good.

I like getting the trains out of NYC as there is some great places to visit that are only a short distance by train, such as TarryTown and Sleepy Hollow.

Soldato
I was going to wait a bit longer to see if people notice.

1 - There is no DoF to the photos
2 - It is taken at stomach height in a lot of them
3 - It is an ultra-wide

I took all those with a DJI Pocket, using a time lapse feature. What it does is it takes a photo every X second and stitch them together to make a .MOV file for a time lapse but you also get a folder with all the JPEG images. So I cheated, the camera just keep taking photos as I walk through NYC.

Ah, I thought they looked good. Hate it when most of the picture is out of focus.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Sort of Vivian Maier approach (torso height camera position) but minus the atmosphere due to the difference era. All my street now is with a 35mm, I like to be part of the story a lot more now than maybe before!

Ah, I thought they looked good. Hate it when most of the picture is out of focus.

Purely preferential, back in the early days Bresson/Maier etc employed depth of field in their street photography as did many others. I don't know why in modern times a small minority hate on any type of bokeh and only want to see everything in focus really. I know many overuse bokeh but those are obvious most of the time. Subject isolation goes hand in hand with composition to complete the story. I can understand why some might hate it as some use dof as a means to make up for lack of composition or timing.

Associate
Sort of Vivian Maier approach (torso height camera position) but minus the atmosphere due to the difference era. All my street now is with a 35mm, I like to be part of the story a lot more now than maybe before!

Purely preferential, back in the early days Bresson/Maier etc employed depth of field in their street photography as did many others. I don't know why in modern times a small minority hate on any type of bokeh and only want to see everything in focus really. I know many overuse bokeh but those are obvious most of the time. Subject isolation goes hand in hand with composition to complete the story. I can understand why some might hate it as some use dof as a means to make up for lack of composition or timing.

Bresson's most famous (and best really) photographs all had deep depth of field though, the only shallow DOF shots of his that I can quickly recall would be his portraits of Jean Paul Sartre and Albert Camus. Maier is a little different since she was shooting 6x6 most of the time. A better example of shallow DOF in early street would be Saul Leiter, but the dominant aesthetic in street photography for the past 60 years is deep depth of field. If you're documenting a people and the place they live in it makes sense to stop down and capture the space around whatever singular (or multiple) subject catches your eye. Also the speed and accuracy of AF systems today makes it possible to keep that DOF shallow, photographers before then had no choice but to stop down and zone focus.

In regards to the photos, @Raymond Lin, it makes sense that you feel like you can't take 'credit' for the photos since they were grabs from a timelapse. The first thing I thought of was how detached and impersonal they feel, like they lacked your usual intent and style, and this goes beyond not having a shallow DOF.

Back
Top Bottom