E-Golf Lease

Soldato
taking into account what i'd be paying in electricity for the same mileage vs what i would be paying in diesel in my current car, it would work out to be £4352 for the 2 years or £181 per month.

The 4 year lease posted is a better deal and works out to be £8206 for the 4 years after fuel savings / £171 per month

How have you worked this out?

Soldato
I've asked for a quote for 20k pa, with fuel savings on my current diesel it makes a lot of sense.

Overage is only charge at 5ppm + VAT, so 10,000 extra per year should only add £600 per year or £50 per month at the very most. I'd hope that it would be around £35 extra given the upfront quote. :)

How have you worked this out?

Take the average cost per litre of fuel, how many miles you get per litre of fuel in your current vehicle, and then divide your mileage into that cost. So for example ~£1.30 per litre (£5.90 per gallon) if you get 12 miles per litre (55mpg), then the cost per mile is ~10.83p. If you do 15,000 miles per year, and assuming you are using the average for the fuel, then you do 15,000/12 x £1.3 = £1625 per year.

You do the same calculation but using the average cost you are paying per kW of electricity and how many you need per year, and obviously using the same number of miles. So if the car had a range of 120 miles per 100% charge, and a capacity of 35kWh for the pack, and lets say 15p per kW of electricity, then the cost would be - 15,000/120 = 125 full charges needed, and each charge would cost an average of 35 x £0.15 = £5.25. Finally take £5.25 and multiply that by 125 = £656.25.

A saving of around £1000 per year based on a high unit price of electricity and an assumption that fuel prices don't rise either.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
We yes, but i'm wondering what costs he has used. Is there a webpage for it? *goes off to search*
Just use excel? You know each cost element and you know your projected mileage, you know the gas mileage that your car achieves, the fuel cost at your usual filling station, etc? :)

Associate
OP
We yes, but i'm wondering what costs he has used. Is there a webpage for it? *goes off to search*

it costs say about £5 (rounding up) to charge from empty to full which is about 150 miles max. Work out how much you spend currently on fuel per month and how many miles you get for that cost. From that you'd be able to work out how much it'll cost in electricity to go the same mileage as the fossil fuel you are currently using.

Soldato
it costs say about £5 (rounding up) to charge from empty to full which is about 150 miles max. Work out how much you spend currently on fuel per month and how many miles you get for that cost. From that you'd be able to work out how much it'll cost in electricity to go the same mileage as the fossil fuel you are currently using.
Thanks. Had no idea how much it costs to charge to full and the real range for that money.

Just use excel? You know each cost element and you know your projected mileage, you know the gas mileage that your car achieves, the fuel cost at your usual filling station, etc? :)
Which is ok if you know each element, which I didn't.

Soldato
or , evezy for a zoe, insurance/12K/polar-electric, all in, £289 rolling contract ... but, seems their insurance has £1K excess

Soldato
Shame there is no E-Golf GTI yet. I want something with performance (and sensible price) to switch to an EV, not a milkfloat for almost 30 grand :(

I've been saying this for years! Why aren't there any hybrid hot hatches? They'd offer the perfect blend of performance when you want it but economy when you don't.

Much as my S3 is fun, my commute is only 2.5 miles and all stop/start traffic so I average about 19mpg! A small hybrid powertrain would mean I could do all of my urban travel on leccy, massively reducing my fuel bill and emissions, but still have the performance for when I want it.

Soldato
I've been saying this for years! Why aren't there any hybrid hot hatches? They'd offer the perfect blend of performance when you want it but economy when you don't.

Much as my S3 is fun, my commute is only 2.5 miles and all stop/start traffic so I average about 19mpg! A small hybrid powertrain would mean I could do all of my urban travel on leccy, massively reducing my fuel bill and emissions, but still have the performance for when I want it.

Toyota probably could have done it with the Prius but never bothered for whatever reason.

Soldato
Toyota probably could have done it with the Prius but never bothered for whatever reason.

Well both the A3 e-tron and the Golf GTE are basically full petrol cars with a 1.4T 150PS engine and a small electric powertrain alongside which is only good for around 30 miles, so the idea is you use electric around town and, at other times, it's a totally normal petrol car.

I don't see why they can't just put the same electric components in an S3/GTI.

Soldato
Well both the A3 e-tron and the Golf GTE are basically full petrol cars with a 1.4T 150PS engine and a small electric powertrain alongside which is only good for around 30 miles, so the idea is you use electric around town and, at other times, it's a totally normal petrol car.

I don't see why they can't just put the same electric components in an S3/GTI.

They are all pandering to the eco crowd at the moment. Maybe they don't think there is much demand for a performance hybrid yet. It would add a lot to the price of the car as well :/

Soldato
Don't forget on average 1kw of leccy is £0.15.
So if you use 50kw per day that's £7.50 per day.

That's how much my in-laws use theirs each day...
The same trip, costs me around £16 in petrol.

You still need to charge these, so this fuel saving isn't actually all that great

Soldato
Worked out.
My car at 25mpg will cost £44 to do 186miles.

That e-golf max range is 186 miles at 0.15p pkw. It's approx £15 to charge it.

That is of the car does its range. Which it won't. I'd expect 130miles...

So... What's the point? Might save £25-£30 per 200 miles...

Soldato
Worked out.
My car at 25mpg will cost £44 to do 186miles.

That e-golf max range is 186 miles at 0.15p pkw. It's approx £15 to charge it.

That is of the car does its range. Which it won't. I'd expect 130miles...

So... What's the point? Might save £25-£30 per 200 miles...

You'll spend twice that on tat in the service station shops whilst waiting for it to charge :)

Back
Top Bottom