Night Shifts

Associate
Eye mask and good earplugs.

When I'm on a night (22:00 to 06:00) I tend to get up around 11:30 and have a nap from 16:00 - 18:00 but being able to block out noise and light is awesome. When you're coming off the block for your weekend go to bed but only for a couple of hours, then get up and go to bed at your normal time or only an hour or two prior.

Plus a bit hippy, meditation (I use the headspace app) to wind down really helps.

Soldato
I've been working shifts for the past 27yrs.
For the past 13yrs, doing 2 x 12hr days followed by 2 x 12hr nights.
Having real trouble for the past year getting any sleep when finishing at 7am.
I'm lucky to get 3 or 4 hrs .
Never had trouble when i was younger but nearly 50 now and nights really are taking their toll. I've tried everything but still can't get any decent sleep after finishing a night shift.
Looking at changing job roles now to get a more healthy sleep pattern and no more night shift working

Soldato
I've been working shifts for the past 27yrs.
For the past 13yrs, doing 2 x 12hr days followed by 2 x 12hr nights.
Having real trouble for the past year getting any sleep when finishing at 7am.
I'm lucky to get 3 or 4 hrs .
Never had trouble when i was younger but nearly 50 now and nights really are taking their toll. I've tried everything but still can't get any decent sleep after finishing a night shift.
Looking at changing job roles now to get a more healthy sleep pattern and no more night shift working
I've been doing it 5 years and struggle to sleep on days I'm usually better off nights. I follow the same 2 days 2 nights pattern. Ive taken a number of different things and a mantra sleep mask, ear plugs, melatonin on occasion and Dr Dean sleep stack has been the biggest help but I do still sometimes struggle.

Man of Honour
For me if I'm not ready to sleep nothing helps and if I am ready to sleep not much keeps me awake. I couldn't swing my sleep cycle around over a few days.

Associate
We've still not heard back from OP what the actual job entailed. Don't keep us in suspense, this could be the career move many of us have dreamed of.

Nights have always had a slight appeal, depending on the job, but now I have a family there's no chance I'd do them. Unless of course that was the only way of a solid income. My parents were ships in the night for many years just to keep a steady income.

Associate
interesting to be in this thread as im unemployed atm just on my 7th week off but having 6 weeks in sw franse snd spain next week (no benefits involved ,redundant ,it may be something i go back to when i drag myself back into the working world ,2 nights ideally depends hoe much i blow in spain
as for the snobby commments about a rubbish job (no pun with skip intended) my only job here in cornwall was in a very large bakery ,just over min wage (chose for 4 day weekends) before that i was working in leeds making dog dental sticks for an agency at mars.
what im saying is its more what you do out of work that can make you a success ,im mortgage free on a hillside in cornwall in an amazing place ,more from property choice than a good job

Good post. At times it feels like my work dominates my life. I sometimes wonder if the stress is worth it when with carefull planning you can have a great standard of living and a much more positive work/life balance.

Theres more to life than the job you do.

Back
Top Bottom