People on phones in cinemas during films

Soldato
Last night i saw It at the 02(Greenwich), about halfway into the film a girl next to me gets her phone out on what seems like full brightness.
A couple of minutes later someone in the row behind tells her politely to turn the phone off. Phone girl makes that kissing noise with her lips(is there a name of that?) then turns around says “******* bitch don't talk to me like that”.
There was no reply but i was taken aback by this girls attitude. It’s bad enough being on your phone but reacting like that after being politely asked to turn it off is crazy. The attitude of these types is disgusting. Once the film ended i heard her say she wanted to find the person and slap her, luckily her friend told her it wasn’t worth it.
Do any of you have similar experiences?

Associate
Reason why I would patiently wait for the movie to be available on Blu-ray than put up with that at cinema.
Every little turd acts as a so important celebrity, who needs to update their 20 million followers about their last trip to the toilet.
Hopefully extinction.

Soldato
My mate and I went to a slightly fancier cinema (Everyman) for John Wick 3 a few months back; one with a smaller screen, comfortable sofas and drinks/snacks brought to your seat during the trailers. The couple sat next to us both got up and went to the bar/bathroom about 3 times (walking in front of us in the process), the girl knocked over a bottle of wine spilling it on the floor, they both kept checking their phones then they left long before the film even finished.

Soldato
OP
My mate and I went to a slightly fancier cinema (Everyman) for John Wick 3 a few months back; one with a smaller screen, comfortable sofas and drinks/snacks brought to your seat during the trailers. The couple sat next to us both got up and went to the bar/bathroom about 3 times (walking in front of us in the process), the girl knocked over a bottle of wine spilling it on the floor, they both kept checking their phones then they left long before the film even finished.

Jeeze, the closest everyman cinema to is about £5 dearer than your usual cinema so you wouldn’t expect that behaviour there.

Soldato
I'd give the person one chance without speaking to them, first time might just be due to forgetting to turn their phone off prior to the film. If it continues to happen I'd do one of the following depending on my mood:

1. Ask them to put their phone away or go outside, as it's distracting. If they refused I'd go and ask one of the cinema staff to deal with it, they're usually nearby and quite on the ball in that regard in my local.

2. If they gave me a bunch of lip and I'm having a bad day, take the phone off them and switch it off, then toss it toward an empty part of the cinema so they can enjoy hunting it down in the dark. If they decide to go and complain about me, they'd have to inform the staff they were using their phones.

To be fair, 95% of the time it'd be option 1, but narcissistic people rub me up the wrong way.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last night i saw It at the 02(Greenwich), about halfway into the film a girl next to me gets her phone out on what seems like full brightness.
A couple of minutes later someone in the row behind tells her politely to turn the phone off. Phone girl makes that kissing noise with her lips(is there a name of that?) then turns around says “******* bitch don't talk to me like that”.
There was no reply but i was taken aback by this girls attitude. It’s bad enough being on your phone but reacting like that after being politely asked to turn it off is crazy. The attitude of these types is disgusting. Once the film ended i heard her say she wanted to find the person and slap her, luckily her friend told her it wasn’t worth it.
Do any of you have similar experiences?

So you sat like a sheep and said nothing, leaving someone else to say something and take the potential flack?

Then come here to complain about bad behaviour?

Did you not back up the brave one at all?

Associate
2. If they gave me a bunch of lip and I'm having a bad day, take the phone off them and switch it off, then toss it toward an empty part of the cinema so they can enjoy hunting it down in the dark. If they decide to go and complain about me, they'd have to inform the staff they were using their phones.

Would you though...really? The woman OP is talking about sounds like the type of scummer who would escalate things without thought. She gave abuse just for being asked politely to put the phone away, would you really cause a big screaming match and kick off in the cinema over a phone screen?

kudos to you if you would, personally I couldn't be bothered with the aggro over something that isn't worth it.

Soldato
OP
So you sat like a sheep and said nothing, leaving someone else to say something and take the potential flack?

Then come here to complain about bad behaviour?

Did you not back up the brave one at all?

Its a difficult one. The way she was speaking to her friend before the film started i thought that its’s not really the kind of person i’d want to start a confrontation with. Anyway, i made the thread to highlight her attitude after she was confronted.

Back
Top Bottom