Confused about smart switches for hall and landing

Soldato
Hi,

I hope this doesn't turn out to be simple as I will feel a bit simple.

In my hall way I have two switches, one is separate and controls the landing light, obviously this light is also controlled by a switch on the landing.

Separately there is another switch right next to the one above, it controls the entrance hall light and the porch light with two separate buttons.

I would like to do one of two things -

1 - replace both switches for smart switches like for like so they are two separate smart switches one controlling the same lights that they do now

Or

2 - replace the two switches with one smart switch with 3 buttons that controls the lights in the same that they do now

I'm not sure 2 is possible I can't see anything that does it, I think I need a two way smart switch to replace the current two way switch and a separate double smart switch to control the porch and hall.

Do I have this right and any recommendations on what will help me achieve this please?

Also as well as using Alexa will I be able to use two Separate smart phones?

Thanks

Soldato
Why not just use smart light bulbs? Far less hassle.

EDIT: with regards to using two phones, unless it’s a really obtuse app, so long as you’re signed in using the same account then both phones can control the lights. That’s if the light switch supports such a thing. Alexa compatibility is not a given either so research, research!

Soldato
OP
Lightwave RF will work for this just fine.

I've never heard of this I'll have a look

Why not just use smart light bulbs? Far less hassle.

EDIT: with regards to using two phones, unless it’s a really obtuse app, so long as you’re signed in using the same account then both phones can control the lights. That’s if the light switch supports such a thing. Alexa compatibility is not a given either so research, research!

Because every youtube "tech" reviewer I have looked into states switches are better than bulbs and for the main reason that you have to leave the power to the bulb on, not a problem for me but my wife will switch it off making it useless

A switch gets around this and seems much more convenient for controlling standard bulbs but in this particular scenario the switches are a bit weird.

Soldato
YouTube reviewers or switches?

Switches I've looked at are anything that says 3 ways (Which again is confusing I would have thought it was two way) so they come with 2 switches and advertised for Hall and Landing use like the TP-Link Kasa

Sorry i meant switches! :D

Last time i spent some time researching most of the main manufacturers hadn't got round to the UK market yet. A quick look on the tp-link website suggests that their smart switches are still only for the US, leaving us with just the smart plugs for now.

I've seen some chinese branded switches on Amazon that claim to work with the UK.

Soldato
The problem with the switches is that (I think) the neutral wire is required for them to function and UK light wiring is missing it. And that’s why we’re missing out on them. Please don’t quote me on the details!

Caporegime
Newer houses tend to have a neutral on the lighting circuit, with regards to two switches, just join the wires together and blank one of them.

Soldato
OP
Yep! :D Hence why i asked :p

As @Bluecube mentioned, they require use of a neutral wire which i don't believe will exist with any UK installations.

I thought there was something off about the whole thing now I think about it, it makes sense!

Oh well, bulbs are my only option then, I don't think I'll bother because the Mrs will keep using the switch and will keep turning them and the porch is small LED thing

Soldato
I thought there was something off about the whole thing now I think about it, it makes sense!

Oh well, bulbs are my only option then, I don't think I'll bother because the Mrs will keep using the switch and will keep turning them and the porch is small LED thing

I wouldn't rule it out just because of that :p, it's a behavioural change - sometimes for the worst! I've got motion sensors in our hallway, and then the living room, kitchen and bedroom lights come on with a schedule, so the only ones that don't have any smart bulbs are currently the bathrooms, and i'm forever leaving the lights on when i walk out of them!

If you're planning on them for the hallway i would personally only use motion sensors, in theory they should also switch the lights on before your wife gets to the lightswitch, you'll just have to keep echoing not to turn them off.

Soldato
The Hue system has faceplates that cover a switch. Whether this will suit your circumstances I don’t know. You can also buy a wide variety of bulbs. I’m sure you’d be able to find a replacement for the porch one.

Soldato
I wouldn't rule it out just because of that :p, it's a behavioural change - sometimes for the worst! I've got motion sensors in our hallway, and then the living room, kitchen and bedroom lights come on with a schedule, so the only ones that don't have any smart bulbs are currently the bathrooms, and i'm forever leaving the lights on when i walk out of them!

If you're planning on them for the hallway i would personally only use motion sensors, in theory they should also switch the lights on before your wife gets to the lightswitch, you'll just have to keep echoing not to turn them off.

What motion sensors are you using mate? I have a door sensor for the office which turns the light on if it’s after sunset, but would prefer motion for the hallway as well.

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Thing is we have a young child and soon a new born sleeping upstairs so cant have the upstairs landing coming on with a motion sensor.

The main reason I want this is to be able to remotely control and schedule them so motion sensors wont really work for us

I need to put a lot more thought into it

Soldato
What motion sensors are you using mate? I have a door sensor for the office which turns the light on if it’s after sunset, but would prefer motion for the hallway as well.

Thanks

I've got a set of Hue's own motion sensors. These ones: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-In...20&hvtargid=pla-356192682439&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Thing is we have a young child and soon a new born sleeping upstairs so cant have the upstairs landing coming on with a motion sensor.

The main reason I want this is to be able to remotely control and schedule them so motion sensors wont really work for us

I need to put a lot more thought into it

Just to throw out some other ideas:
- You can control them separately, i.e. motion sensor just to switch hallway lights on, and then a second one upstairs just for landing light
- You can also control the brightness based on timing schedule, so for example if you want the lights to be minimally dimmed after 7pm, and then switch off after 60 seconds of no motion

Soldato
OP
I've got a set of Hue's own motion sensors. These ones: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-In...20&hvtargid=pla-356192682439&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Just to throw out some other ideas:
- You can control them separately, i.e. motion sensor just to switch hallway lights on, and then a second one upstairs just for landing light
- You can also control the brightness based on timing schedule, so for example if you want the lights to be minimally dimmed after 7pm, and then switch off after 60 seconds of no motion

Ok thanks I'll have a look, hopefully at .co.uk this time!

Soldato
OP
this maybe interesting, for 2-location switch, so zigbee/ikea solution should work ..
. but the remotes (with coin cells) have be stuck on or by the side of existing switches

https://community.openhab.org/t/tradfri-one-bulb-with-two-remotes/32923

Thanks for that, she'll never go for those remotes stuck to the wall.

I think I might leave the two way as is until a UK solution appears and concentrate on automating the porch and hallway

Back
Top Bottom