How long is your work commute?

Soldato
Never thought I'd say it but I prefer public transport over driving to work. Currently 40 minutes door to door.

10 minute walk to the train station.
15 minute train journey.
15 minute walk to work.

Soldato
About 1hr 15mins on the train. I never minded commuting to work via public transport as its give me time to listen to my podcasts or study.

I found 1-1.5 hours each way on tube and train were great for reading, watching TV series and movies that the missus wouldn’t watch and catching up on reports if I needed to.

My alternative was driving 2-2.5 hours each way sat in stop/start traffic on the M25 or A406 which would have meant our needing a second car and paying 2-3 times what my monthly TfL ticket cost to run it.

Soldato
Monday - Thursday 1 hour 10 in the AM then 1 hour 30 in the evening as the trains do not line up as well... Plus still waiting for Crossrail to open and decrease my commute by about 10-15 minutes each way at a minimum
Friday about 10 seconds as I WFH

I am already over what I would be happy commuting for and will be looking to cut this down

Soldato
1hr each way when i'm in the office
i can work from home a couple of days a week which is a god send.
i would not want to travel any more than this, i think 1hr is just about on the limit before your work life balance is screwed

Soldato
I found 1-1.5 hours each way on tube and train were great for reading, watching TV series and movies that the missus wouldn’t watch and catching up on reports if I needed to.

My alternative was driving 2-2.5 hours each way sat in stop/start traffic on the M25 or A406 which would have meant our needing a second car and paying 2-3 times what my monthly TfL ticket cost to run it.

Exactly, people say "why don't you drive into work!?!?!" Because its unproductive sitting in traffic doing nothing and doesn't help when they start charging for driving your car into the city.

Associate
It takes me 15-20 minutes in the morning and anything from 40 minutes to 1hr 15 in the afternoon.

11 miles from home to work. The joys of working in Birmingham city centre and the M6 junctions 6-9.

Soldato
Before I got my EUC it was anywhere between 30 minutes and an hour. Often closer to 45 minutes/1 hour on the way home. Now with my EUC it's a solid 18 minutes either direction.

Caporegime
I would use public transport if I could but when I last looked, working backwards from the bus needed to get to work on time at 8.30am, that bus I would have have had to catch at 7.30am from Darlington centre. In order to get there I would have needed to have caught the 6.00am bus from where I live.

Unfortunatly the first bus in the morning doesnt leave until 7.30am which would mean the earliest i could get to work would be between 9.30am and 10am. I would then need to leave at 4pm in order to get the last bus to where I leave.

The downside of living in a rural area is that unless i find a local job or a job which is only 10am until 4pm each day I am stuck with driving.

Plus I wouldn't really want to spend up to 4 hours each way travelling on public transport.

Back
Top Bottom